PDA

View Full Version : We appologise for any inconvienience this may cause

Ichy
09-14-2004, 09:42 PM
We appologise for any inconvienience this may cause.

Sound familiar? You must be a FFXI player. Is it just me or has this become an all too often used catch phrase for SE and PlayOnline?

As if the network problems while downloading the newest update weren't bad enough (I got booted after 1:45:00 of DL and had to start from SCRATCH, as well as spend an hour just trying to re-connect again), it seems to me that everytime server maintenance is underway and you're just itching to get back on there and play you can pretty much count on it being extended a few hours. In case you aren't a player and just enjoy perusing this forum, trust me, it happens almost 70% of the time.

This is one of my only days off from my job which pays for this game and I've spend most of it waiting for the servers to come back up, thinking it's all right, I'll get on before supper. Nope, uh uh, no dice. It's down until 20:00 in my time zone, now. My compensation?

We deeply appologise for any inconvienience this may cause.

I know, I've degenerated to mild ranting due to my upset, and it's as much of a pain for other players, and I'll get my chance to play later, however what do I have to look forward to now (for today) when the servers finally go live again? Less than enough time to PT effectively before I have to go to bed so I can go to work the next day, and no Gil to do anything else with because the servers were down all day resulting in noone buying any of my stuff I have for sale.

So. The good thing in all of this? There was a problem with the game, they jumped right on it, the problem will be fixed, again, asap. At least SE has got a perfect track record on this one. Now if they could just do something about that ugly slow loading new gui in the viewer...

/rant

Garland
09-14-2004, 11:23 PM
I'm on Quetzalcoatle, a server that along with Cait Sith, experienced an unexected crash Sunday night, and the coinciding maintenence. Then we all know of the lengthy and problematic maintenence of yesterday. I just got home from work, and logged into POL to discover yet another all day maintenence. Woo hoo. Three days of down time. You'd think that if they were going to do maintenence several days in a row, that they'd vary the maintenence time to accomodate different time zones. I live on the US east coast. Maintenence is always from 1pm till 7-9 pm depending on how many delays are posted. Ah well.

EDIT: Thinking on it after the game is back online, and I'm not just frustrated at having my post-work plans botched, I'm kinda glad SE is so diligent on keeping the game running as best as possible. It must be tough choosing between upsetting a bunch of people with another down-day of maintenence, or upsetting a bunch of people with in game problems. Either way, SE loses. At least by biting the bullet and doing the maintenence, only a modest percent of NA players lose, and even then it's only short term. True, I can't help but feel screwed by the choice of maintenence times, being on my day off (Mondays) and being mid afternoon to evening, but in all honesty, this is the time that the fewest people are online. My schedule is pretty odd. I have Monday and Wednesday off, and either work from 11-5 or from 11-11. Mine isn't the schedule they should accomodate. That said, I'll still get irritated every time I can't get online, because sunshine and fresh air are my sworn enemies, and getting a life- I don't have the slightest idea how. I'm pretty addicted. After calming down though, I never hold anything against SE.

Ashton
09-15-2004, 01:04 PM
I play in Garland's server too and I had lots of times that I couldn't login :mad:

Lionx
09-15-2004, 09:31 PM
Yea if everyone stops complaining about HNM spawns and other crap like on other board i read, they have to realize SE is a company and they want their customers...people are just too selfish about their own needs in a game and then complain about every little damn thing some times...i am just glad SE does their job, else its like EQ with so many damn crapload of bugs...=/