PDA

View Full Version : Defense Ignored?

Jolts
09-15-2004, 08:10 AM
I've been reading a lot of hints, tips, and strategies for battling bosses like Cloud and Squall, and they all say to use Dodge Roll constantly. Does nobody use Guard or something? I use it all the time, and the tech points it gives off may be small, but they help (I've leveled up at least twice from tech points during a battle ;)).

Pheesh
09-15-2004, 10:30 AM
I chose frequently because i like battles that are even. Like versing power wilds and squall. It just adds more of an action packed feel to the game.

Xander
09-15-2004, 06:56 PM
But but but, rolling is just so fun =D

Sefie1999AD
09-15-2004, 07:10 PM
I use Dodge Roll, jumping and gliding a lot normally. I don't really use Guard that much. Except against Ice Titan, that's about all I use. :D It's also handy against Oogie Boogie's dice attacks during his first form, and although it's not directly using the Guard command, I like bouncing Wakka's blitzball attacks back at him.

Del Murder
09-19-2004, 07:37 AM
I use it against Ice Titan. For the rest, dodging is my best defense.

Jolts
09-19-2004, 09:32 AM
Also, I'd like to mention that sometimes someone else's offense can be good for your defense. For example, if you're low on health and you want to destract the enemy (except most bosses who ignore the others), target the enemy, then push TRIANGLE a few times to command Donald and Goofy (or whoever else might be in the party) to attack that enemy, giving you ample time to heal yourself.

I also advise using Tinker Bell whenever you can (against strong bosses...like Kurt Zisa). She doesn't cause the others to go away, and she'll stay during the entire battle (unless you tell her to go away). What's even better, she'll continue to heal your party, and she'll even protect Sora from death once.
By far, the best summon (but if they would've kept Bahamut...).

SeeDRankLou
09-20-2004, 08:09 AM
But but but, rolling is just so fun =D
Isn't it though. :D

I find that, for example, Cloud and Squall attack to quickly for me to adequately use Guard, as for most heartless that I would think to use Guard for. I guess dodging just comes more naturally than Guarding, I don't know.

Jolts
09-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Using Gaurd is also very helpful for the element of surprise, if you have Counter equipped as well ;).

Oh, and I use Dodge Roll a lot too, but I try not to rely on either too much (doing so usually gets me killed).

Ashton
09-20-2004, 05:06 PM
I rarely use it...I use more Dodge Roll and get away from the enemies attack like that ;)

Dark Matter
09-21-2004, 02:42 PM
Rarely - because of my poor battle skills :shame:

Donald and Goofy helped me a lot to beat the bosses. :love:
I just kept dodging and gliding. (that's easy)

PS:
I just finished playing KH a few days ago. (9-9-2004 ~ 16-9-2004) It's my first action RPG ever. :hyper:

Ashton
09-21-2004, 03:09 PM
My first one was Star Ocean:The Second Story
Action RPGs are fun, but I like more the FF Battle system style :p

Bahumat
09-23-2004, 08:43 AM
i guard quite a bit, especially against projectiles or sword users. Sephy is the only one who you should NEVER guard against, he'll cut you to pieces. Ansem, second form, shielding charge=guard=counter=6 move combo=tons of damage.

people like Cloud, can be guarded easily, as can Squall. Yuffie too.

StarlightAngel
09-26-2004, 06:15 PM
I Glide most of the time. I rarely use dodge roll.

Ryth
10-06-2004, 12:47 AM
I use the skill frequently it is really quite helpful in some situations especially in the Ice Titan battle.

Bahumat
10-07-2004, 09:06 AM
it is also good when you KNOW you will get hit, like with Cerberus, for example. they get stunned and then you counter.

Jolts
10-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Wepon deflect = brave
Gaurd deflect = centered
Dodge Roll or Glide away = scared

I don't mind getting attacked when I miss on deflecting. Heck, with MP Rage, you practically have infinite HP, especially with a couple of MP Hastes equpped as well. You get weak, use Cure, then getting attacked a few more times replenishes enough MP to use Cure again. It's those hard hitters that get me (like Kurt Zisa, which is why I used Tinker Bell), they usually end up taking me down before the animation for Cure is finished (or item use, in the Kurt Zisa battle, since I usually need curing when I can't use magic). Battle like with Sephiroth, it's okay to roll or glide away from. There's a difference between his attacks and Cloud's or Squall's (a BIG difference). So running away from some of those are better in most cases. I guess it all depends on the speed and strength of the attack, and on speed of the person in control of Sora (not everybody is good at Gaurd, and not everybody is good at Dodge Roll (I'm not)).

KentaRawr!
10-08-2004, 07:45 PM
My first one was Star Ocean:The Second Story
Action RPGs are fun, but I like more the FF Battle system style :p

You wont believe me..but my first RPG was Super Mario RPG.. Anyways, to stay on topic, I never use gaurd/dodgeroll/glide...I beat the game ^_^; and im lvl 99, so I don't use those anymore lol *playing ff9*I like the beginning of the game, because then the game goes like this. Sora knocks the enemy back! Another crowd is running towards sora! Sora Masterfully dodges each attack!! sora hits each of the enemies, *few moments later* Sora wins!! :mog:

Jolts
10-08-2004, 07:54 PM
lvl 99? I'm at lvl 100 :p.

Chibi Youkai
10-13-2004, 01:19 AM
I just put never as I'm lv 100, and as I recall, I only used it once, against the Ice Titan, and I don't remember if I used it even then.

K-chan
10-13-2004, 09:01 PM
-_-;; I don't use Gaurd, because I think its a waste of MP.

fire_of_avalon
10-17-2004, 06:49 AM
I just used offensive single strikes against most attacks as my own version of Guard. I got tech points for it. Tech points were important to me.