PDA

View Full Version : Driving Test.

Rainecloud
09-16-2004, 06:28 PM
Excellent, I passed my driving test. I now have a shiny license, some fairly cheap insurance and a very nice car.

So, are you learning to drive? If you've already passed your test, how long did it take you, and did you enjoy it?

In short, please talk about your driving/driving test experiences.

Lon611
09-16-2004, 06:39 PM
oh man, im taking my driving test 2moro and im SOOOOO nervous

Cz
09-16-2004, 07:11 PM
I'm not yet able to take my test, due to some absurd technicality to do with age. However, I do plan to take the test as soon as possible.

Congratulations on passing, Raine. If you don't mind me asking, what car do you own?

Jebus
09-16-2004, 07:16 PM
I could take the test now if I wanted, but due to the fact that I'm not that good and that my permit expired in April 2003, it might not happen too soon.

DMKA
09-16-2004, 07:22 PM
I passed my written test on my second try, which was when I was just about 16. I failed my driving test first try, because I didn't signal when I pulled out of my parking, and no one in my family does...but at the same time they all have horrid driving records, but I was so anxcious to get my liscense I wasn't thinking about it...then my mom didn't take me back till 2 days after my 17th birthday...I passed it no prob that time and got my liscense.

Now, 2.5 years later, I sit with a liscense, and still, no car....you know how horrible that is? Its like having a controller but no PS2. ;__;

ShivaBlizzard8
09-16-2004, 11:26 PM
I passed the second time I took the test too, when I was 17. The first time I failed because:

1) I had an a$$ of a state cop who yelled at me as soon as I got in the car telling me I suck at life.

2) I had done all the tests fine (backing up, 3 point turn, stopping, pulling out, etc), but when I pulled out to return to the DMV, the car coming towards us stepped on its gas and TRIED TO HIT US. My mother in the back seat saw it, but of course the cop didn't - he was making notes on my evaluation. He looked up just as I had made it onto the road and the stupid car wizzed by, just missing us. He started yelling and swearing at me, and telling me how I was going to kill someone and spend my life in jail. My Mom was mad but she wasn't allowed to say anything or I'd automatically fail. I was just trying not to cry.

3) To finish the test, I had to back into a parking spot (which is really pointless, when do you ever HAVE to BACK into a space, but whatever). It's hard, and I was frazzeled at that point, but I managed to get inside the lines. However, I did it CROOKED. So he made me fix it, yelling at me the whole time and I'm freaking out, and it took me 3 tries to straighten it out. He yelled some more, wrote FAIL on my permit, and left.

I cried the whole way home but I drove - I demanded that I get to drive.

The second time, I went to another town, had a nice young, hot state trooper who was soft spoken. He didn't yell at me, and I completed everything fine. He asked why I didn't get my license the first time, and I told him about the parking thing. He said it was stupid, and I got my license. That guy was so awesome.

Now, I've had my license for 4 years and my own car, and have yet to get into any accidents, or get any speeding or parking tickets or anything *knock on wood* So that jerk cop can shove it. :rolleyes2

Lon611
09-16-2004, 11:40 PM
im really nervous about my driving test 2morrow. Do they really make you back into a parking?!?!?!and what about signaling?do you have to signal when you're getting out of a parking?!?!

Agent Proto
09-17-2004, 12:09 AM
My learning experience involved going to some school's driving ground to learn the basics then it was actual driving.

Right now, I'm kinda teaching my brother to drive. Basically doing the same thing my dad did for me. :) As for the whole thing, teaching is more stressful. xD

SeeDRankLou
09-17-2004, 12:10 AM
I passed my written test with flying colors. I didn't do so well on the driving part. I could drive in reverse to save my life. I almost got the parallel parking down, but not in a timely fashion, and not to my instructors satisfaction. I moderately sped. And I remember my first time turning right onto a four lane with middle turn lane road, I turned right into the middle turn lane and almost caused a wreck. I somehow passed though.

It was funny, one of the other two drivers in my car was driving, and he was nervous. He came to a speed bump, and he went so slowly coming to the speed bump that the car didn't have enough force to make it over the speed bump. It was kind of funny.

Kirobaito
09-17-2004, 12:27 AM
I passed everything the first time. It was easy.

escobert
09-17-2004, 12:27 AM
I passed everything the first time. It was easy.

fire_of_avalon
09-17-2004, 12:40 AM
The first time I tried to get my license, hit somebodies mirror with my mirror. Yep.

Logan
09-17-2004, 12:41 AM
I'm taking the test to get my permit in a few weeks, hopefully. (I've been putting it off for over a year :D)

One time my dad took me to a parking lot and let me drive. But it was his TRUCK. And I felt like I was driving a tank, and it scared me. (I get a free tiny blue honda when I get my license :love:.)

m4tt
09-17-2004, 12:47 AM
I failed my permit test three times. The third time didn't count because they gave me the wrong test. I passed my driving test on the first try.

Meat Puppet
09-17-2004, 01:34 AM
I passed my written test without even studying :spin:
And I passed my practical a while ago.

I guess I'm a pretty good driver, if not a little slow, however. Speeding tickets and fatal accidents are not something I want; and I'm not a boy racer anyway.

DMKA
09-17-2004, 02:57 AM
It differs from state to state, and of course, country to country. Here its simply amazing the people they give liscenses'...these little hick towns really discriminate when it comes to that...if your from here its basically handed to you, and if your not, they givbe you a world of shit...and as most of you know, I'm not from here, so yeah...I got the shit.

The second lady was really nice though. :)

ShivaBlizzard8
09-17-2004, 03:42 AM
im really nervous about my driving test 2morrow. Do they really make you back into a parking?!?!?!and what about signaling?do you have to signal when you're getting out of a parking?!?!

It's really different everywhere - my first test made me do it, my second test in the town next door did not. I wouldn't worry about backing into a parking spot - I think its really unusual. The things I believe almost everyone does is backing up and 3-point turning.

Don't be nervous, but be CAUTIOUS. Signal always - in parking lots, turning - and when making a 3-point turn. You should also know how to signal with your hands. They always ask that. Good luck! :)

Sacred Phoenix
09-17-2004, 04:07 AM
I passed all three tests the first time (stupid ontario licencing) Thank God it's over and done with. One tip I have, don't hesitate, and if you do, then stay where you are. Second, ignore the people behind you, and three still look both ways before driveing thru an intersection on a green light. I have more but i could sit here all night, basically just use common sense.

Dr Unne
09-17-2004, 04:19 AM
I sped a few times, and almost ran a lady over when I was parking, and the moron still passed me. Perhaps you actually need to commit vehicular homicide to fail your test in this state.

Yamaneko
09-17-2004, 04:21 AM
I passed the written and driving on the first try.

Lon611
09-17-2004, 05:05 AM
thanks ShivaBlizzard8 :D . but whats a 3-point turn?i spent like 2 secs on that in drving school.

Kirobaito
09-17-2004, 05:13 AM
3-point turn=

Point 1
=======================

-----------------------------
____________RAC
=======================
Point 2
=======================
_____________C
---------------A-------------
_____________R
=======================
Point 3
=======================
____________C
---------------A-------------
______________R
======================

C=front of car
R=rear of car

I hope this looks decent.

edczxcvbnm
09-17-2004, 05:19 AM
I aced the written part because I am not a dumbass and KNOW the rules of the road no matter how obscure they are. My memory may have slipped a bit on it since I took the test 6 years ago. I live in Illinios by the way so your rules of the road do not necessarily match my rules of the road.

The driving portion of the test took 3 minutes. We went around the block!!! Seriously. It was past 5 because the DMV is slow as hell and they just want to get the hell out of there so I got a piss easy test that entailed going the speed limit, stopping at 4 stop signs and making 4 turns...I also had to park the car but since the parking lot was empty it was a piece of cake.

Kirobaito
09-17-2004, 05:21 AM
My <b>driving</b> test involed me driving around a residential part of town that I've never been to before. I wasn't sure of where to go.

Lon611
09-17-2004, 05:22 AM
thank you SOOOO much Kirobaito. il post how i do 2moro :p .

edczxcvbnm
09-17-2004, 05:27 AM
My written test involed me driving around a residential part of town that I've never been to before. I wasn't sure of where to go.

I didn't know writing involved manipulating a motor vehicle. I could have sworn that it only invovled the use of my knowledge as well as a No. 2 pencil :eek:

Kirobaito
09-17-2004, 05:29 AM
Pfff. I must start looking at what I'm typing.

nik0tine
09-17-2004, 05:50 AM
I just got my permit a few days ago. Im kicking myself for waiting until after i was sixteen to get my PERMIT. now i cant even try to take my drivers test until january. I could be driving by now, but i was to lazy.

Rainecloud
09-17-2004, 07:13 AM
Signal always - in parking lots, turning - and when making a 3-point turn. You should also know how to signal with your hands. They always ask that. Good luck! :)

In my country, you lose marks if you signal for no reason. IE - if there's nobody around or If you're pulling out of a parking space with nobody around. Also, if you signal while you're making a three point turn, you'll lose major points. It must be different in your country.

nik0tine
09-17-2004, 07:31 AM
In America it is encouraged to signal even if there is not a singal car in sight.

edczxcvbnm
09-17-2004, 07:53 AM
Where I live(Illinois), it is the law to signal 100 ft before you commit to a turn in city and 200 ft in rural areas. It is a ticketable offense...even if they have never given out a ticket for it(Not sure but I still don't think I am wrong).

Why in the hell would you lose points for signaling when no cars are around? What about pedestrians and other things like that? You also never no when a car is going to come into site and rely on your signal. Its better to just signal. It hurts no one.

Xander
09-17-2004, 09:03 AM
Yay Rainecloud!! Well done!! =D

I learnt to drive as soon as I turned 17, and I had my car for about a year before that. I passed my test first time, as I was pretty lucky with the situations and stuff. I still really enjoy driving and I <3 my car.

DMKA
09-17-2004, 06:25 PM
Where I live(Illinois), it is the law to signal 100 ft before you commit to a turn in city and 200 ft in rural areas.
For some reason that makes no sense to me...why would the distance be doubled if your in the middle of nowhere?

And yeah you get ticketed for not signalling 100ft ahead of the turn here too, or atleast thats whats written down. Until you kill someone the cops won't even pull you over...and no I'm not being sarcastic or kidding. I remember once I was standing on a corner waiting for my mom and a car came speeding by and crashed into a stop sign...and it just kept driving up against the sign...as it was doing this about 20 cars drove right by it and a cop finally came but...he drove right by as well...the car kept going until the sign's pole BENT UNDER THE CAR AND DROVE OVER IT....this isn't uncommon around here at all, but thats the only time I actually wittnessed it.

I hate everything about this place and I don't want to drive here but sadly theres no other way I'm gonna get a job. ;__;

Denmark
09-17-2004, 07:21 PM
I passed the written test on the first try and got my permit.

I haven't taken the road test yet because in this state (New York), you have to have your permit for six months to get an unrestricted license. Before 6 months, you can get a restricted license, which only allows you to drive to a job or to school. I figure I can wait, since 6 months is December, and I wouldn't have a car anyway.

Lord Chainsaw
09-17-2004, 07:22 PM
I'm a really bad driver.

Where I live you need 7 hours of driving, 7 hours of observation and about 32 hours of class time to get your license.

My first of 7 lessons, I get this hard ass that realizes there is no hope for me. He knows I'm going to fail if I stay under him, so he turns me over to the easy instructor.

Even though I run a red light and don't wait my turn at a four way intersection, I still pass. I had to wait 6 months after completing driver's ed to get the license. 6 months came and went, and I still felt I wasn't ready to drive on my own. I kept my permit and continued to practice. No need for a license if you aren't going to be driving on your own, the insurance will kill you.

Lon611
09-18-2004, 01:58 AM
yay!!!i just got back from taking my license test 2day at 4:15 and i passed!!!!yay :D :D :D i was hella nervous but i passed!!!i got 10 mistakes, 6 of them were about the limit line, lol/ YAY 2 ME!!!

Rainecloud
09-18-2004, 02:13 PM
Congratufreakinlations, Lon.