PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated game...

Gunblade_Master
09-16-2004, 08:13 PM
EVER!

Ultima Shadow
09-16-2004, 08:29 PM
Even if it's treated as a gift from god... it's still underrated! :tongue:

FFVII is the greatest game ever made!

Gunblade_Master
09-16-2004, 08:34 PM
There is absolutely no way that FFVII is underrated.

And there are way better games today... It's not 1997 anymore.

Ultima Shadow
09-16-2004, 08:37 PM
So what? FFIV is even older and it's still one of the greatest games ever made!

There's no better existing objects than the 3 FFVII CDs.

ZeZipster
09-16-2004, 08:46 PM
EVER!

Your opinions are unique, and you have alot to back yourself up. I will take all of this to heart and care about what you say.

Gunblade_Master
09-16-2004, 08:47 PM
my definition of your "greatest game ever made"-most overrated game in history.

ffvii is the MOST overrated and overhyped game ever made.

Ultima Shadow
09-16-2004, 08:54 PM
ffvii is the MOST overrated and overhyped game ever made.
Nope. Tetris is. :p

Aurey
09-16-2004, 09:07 PM
That's strange... I thought FVIII was the most overrated...

I love FVII. But I don't see it as an overhyped or overrated, and you didn't seem to give your reasons why you think it's so overrated, so if you could give your reasons/opinions why, please.

Turk
09-16-2004, 09:13 PM
Nope. Tetris is. :p

Chris
09-16-2004, 10:05 PM
For that you must die ;)

DJZen
09-16-2004, 10:25 PM
It's stupid that bashing this game is heracy. This game is good, but it's definitely overrated. The dialogue is mangled to the point of unintelligibility, the plot isn't all THAT original, the graphics weren't all that great for their time, and the gameplay, while fun, got a little tedious. Also, the advertising for this game was misleading. They claimed it was an adventure so big it needed 3 CDs, and then tossed out some huge number as the number of cartridges that it would take to contain the game. The truth is, the entire game fits on one CD, it's only the FMV that needed 3 CDs. So really, if they cut the video (OMYG0DZ0R!!!!!111!1 G4M35 WiThOu7 TEH FMV = TEH N00B!!!!!!!!1111) it would have been an adventure so big it spanned across less than half a CD, or a fairly average sized cartridge.

Chris
09-16-2004, 10:27 PM
What is this? pick-on-final-fantasy-VII-day ?

DJZen
09-16-2004, 10:38 PM
No, it's a "FFVII is overrated" thread :p

Chris
09-16-2004, 10:50 PM
I still think that...well...I dunno anymore :(
Why can't we just...be grateful...for such a great game :(

PhoenixAsh
09-16-2004, 10:51 PM
I came in this thread before anyone replied, but didn't say anything as the first post was so....

VII isn't overrated at all, the graphics for the time WERE impressive, the FMVs moreso. More important though was the effort put into the game. The plot and graphics could have carried it easily enough, but they didn't just sit back.

FFX took the power of the PS2 and improved the graphics etc. then threw on one mini-game that required any real programming (as far as I can tell).
FFVII took the new power of the PSone and threw in mini-games with so much care and variety that they could have been made into stand alone games without a huge amount of effort. Not massively successful games, but games nonetheless.

Vincent and Yuffie both make great additions, and actually add to the plot and the world of the game.

The FMVs helped a lot, they weren't just pretty, they helped convey the emotion the graphics couldn't. I doubt the end of disc one would have been as moving had you seen Clouds eyes bulge to show that he was feeling something.

DJZen
09-17-2004, 08:29 AM
I have to disagree. Resident Evil predated it by a couple of years, and used the same form of graphics (prerendered backdrops with realtime characters and objects) and managed to outclass it. Given how quickly graphical technology grows, that's saying something. As for the CGs, they're good, but if you look at what Silicon Knights was doing with the older Blood Omen, they just seem a lot less impressive. The computer version was much better, but only from the benefit of being higher resolution, and it was done later on. It's sadder when you realize that this wasn't Square's first foray into 3D by any stretch of the imagination. They did Tobal No. 1 before FFVII, and even though Tobal had a grand total of 10 textures for the entire game, it still looks more polished. the frame rate is better, the CG moves more quickly, and it looks more colorful in general. They had also done work on a 3D tech demo using characters from FFVI. It looked better because it was done on a higher power machine, but it was YEARS before FFVII. No, I don't think that FFVII had terribly good graphics for its time. Some of the most painful moments are watching bosses who have a death animation in the terrible, terrible low fps.

If you don't believe me, it's generally agreed amongst Square staff that they could have done better with the game if they'd spent a little bit longer on it. In fact, the US version is a little more polished (nothing major from what I hear, just better textures and backdrops), if that doesn't say "rushed product", what does?

But was it terrible? No, just over-hyped.

Ultima Shadow
09-17-2004, 08:56 AM
I agree 100% with PheonixAsh.

And even if you think FFVII is overrated... then it's still FAR from the most overrated.

Polaris
09-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Well it is not the best but it's not overrated

Trumpet Thief
09-17-2004, 03:36 PM
chaos: People can dislike FFVII, nothing wrong with that. *Agrees with Djzen* I loved FFVII, a great game it was.

Rubedo: But.... I couldn't help but love FFIV and VI more, as usual. :D

Trowa: As for it being over-hyped, I agree it is. Let's just say when I had heard all my friends going all about on how much they loved it, I was expecting too much, thus far, I couldn't appreciate FFVII that much..

Ancient Goddess
09-17-2004, 03:43 PM
The answer to this question is a most definite yes. While it may have possessed great graphics in its time (I'm emphasizing this to the fullest), the story in my opinion lacked and was full of flaws, compared to the ones before it and following it.

Graphics are a great eye-catcher and have the ability to make one interested in the game, but is that really enough? I know many of my friends who love Final Fantasy say that the graphics are important to them and they need good ones to play a game, but why? If that's the case, they would be missing out on the FFs played on SNES...you know, the ones with better stories and the more satisfying feeling you get after playing. When people tell me that FFVII is only good because it had awesome graphics when it came out, I usually turn a deaf ear. RPGs should be played for the enjoyment of the story and being able to relate to the characters, despite the purty pictures. ^^

The story to VII was not that interesting to me. It took me about 4 months to play, mainly because I found something else more interesting than it to do. I really only bought it because my friends claimed that it was the best Final Fantasy ever. But everyone has different tastes, and mine doesn't include FFVII. You can try to tell me that Sephiroth is the best villain of all time, but that won't get me to believe you.

Final Fantasy VII is definitely overrated, but it's still making money off of its die-hard fans. The only money Square got from me from this game was buying it in the first place, and I'm still debating whether or not to sell it back to GameStop since it rarely gets any gameplay anymore.

escobert
09-17-2004, 04:07 PM
Best game ever thats it final *closes thread*

Necronopticous
09-17-2004, 09:38 PM
I personally think that it's more like... The rest of the series is underrated. Final Fantasy VII is only overrated because every other installment in the series is just as good as everyone makes this one out to be.

What I've noticed is many people who claim to love this game and hate the rest of the series didn't even understand this game to begin with, they're just jumping on the bandwagon of everyone else saying how great Final Fantasy VII is. I constantly hear people rave about how this game is the BEST MOFO GAME EVAR!!! And all they got out of the story was "Cloud has a big sword, and he fights Sephiroth". Sometimes I get the impression that a lot of people that say they love this game are just repeating what someone else said.

Just so you all know, I am a huge fan of this game. I love everything about it and I think it's basically a flawless gem in gaming, a monument to RPGs and video games alike. But I'm going to have to agree, it's overrated in comparison to the rest of the series. It's no better than it's predecessors or successors.

Doomgaze
09-18-2004, 06:02 AM
I'll see your "overrated" and raise you to "utter crap."

*poker face*

Del Murder
09-18-2004, 06:25 AM
This game is the second best thing I've ever played. If you call it the best, then yeah, it's overrated, but not by much. Great story and characters. Cloud is the coolest and most developed main character ever. Gets my highest rating of five stars *****

raoul2000
09-28-2004, 01:08 PM
You're saying FF VII is overrated...???
Man I could kill you for saying this...!
Being the best FF and best RPG ever made, FF VII being overrated means every RPG ever made is overrated...!
Man, stop picking on FF VII and pick on trashy FF's like FF X-2...!

Chris
09-28-2004, 01:52 PM
Better yet, don't pick on any of the games.
WHY keep bashing the best game serie ever?

All of the games were unique in their own way...

DMKA
09-28-2004, 05:09 PM
That completely distroyed any respect I would of had for your post...so your apparently one of those people who bases a games' quality off it's age eh? If not, then why did you say "its not 1997 anymore"...

Personally, I don't think its overrated at all. I think its like...just a small bit underrated personally.

If you want overrated games, check out the Legend of Zelda: Orcarina of Time or Wind Waker...your choice. ;)

Erdrick Holmes
09-28-2004, 05:17 PM
I honestly think that FFVII is way to over rated. Not saying that it's bad, hell it's one of the best games I'd ever played. I can name a ton of other RPGs better then this game though. I think FFVI really peaked at FFVI.

Chris
09-28-2004, 05:19 PM
Yeah, Zelda: The Ocarina of Time was horrible.
And so was Zelda: The Windwaker.

Blue Typhoon
09-29-2004, 02:17 AM
I thought the game was overrated in the first playthrough, but I'm playing through the second time now and I see it a lot better. I can actually feel emotions of the characters. Its pretty kewl.