PDA

View Full Version : Local area connection 4: A cable is unplugged

TasteyPies
09-17-2004, 02:00 AM
I just don't get it. There are no cables loose and I have tried everything I could think of. My internet connection just dies and comes back every few seconds...WHATS GOING ON?!? THAT F-ING MESSAGE POPS UP! WHY??!?! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! NOW ITS HAPPENING EVERY FEW SECONDS!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! HELP ME!!!

Baloki
09-17-2004, 02:17 AM
Check the network card isn't set to turn itself off to conserve power and wake up on LAN is off :D

Shoeberto
09-17-2004, 02:20 AM
Do you have service pack 2 installed? There's been some problems reported with networking and SP2.

TasteyPies
09-17-2004, 02:38 AM
Complicated...

Explain to me as if I were a child plz, I don't know anything about "service packs" and these "network cards" My grandfather always does the highly technical stuff with my computer. He just tweaked it a few days ago...it was still doing that before then but it didn't happen frequently enough for me to be concerned.

Just lost connection again...gimme a sec...

Meat Puppet
09-17-2004, 09:59 AM
I never got this error, but my internet connection used to die at random points. I solved it by buying a new modem (56k, because anything faster is only a dream where I live)

Baloki
09-17-2004, 11:42 AM
Ok, on your desktop right-click My Computer > Properties

Copy out all the details about OS and Service Packs, there should be some there. Then you need to get to something called device manager, if you look through all the tabs there you should be able to find a button for it. Load that up and look for the heading relating to network cards :D

Find it, then right-click it > Properties and go through all the tabs making sure there is no 'Allow Windows to Power off this device' and Wake up on lan and such things that sound like them ticked. Then click ok. Then close all the stuff you just opened :D

TasteyPies
09-27-2004, 04:25 AM
UPDATE
Actualy it stopped happening for a while by itself so I left it aroun but now its doing it now and again and if I'm going to get ffxi I need this connection problem fixed.

Ok, followed you up till this point and got lost

Can't....find...network....cards....

Peegee
09-27-2004, 05:31 AM
click network adapters, then whichever card is yours, right click, properties

Doomgaze
09-27-2004, 06:11 AM
Reinstall Windows! :D!

TasteyPies
09-27-2004, 02:42 PM
Reinstall Windows! :D!

I can't find my disk! :D!

Right now im in my computer applications class, I will try to fix it later, PG

Edit: WOOT! thanks Baloki and PG! It was on the auto turnoff thing, THANK YOU! Now will Internet will keep working :D

Edit2: Crap............maybe it WONT keep working. Now what should I do? That didn't solve my problem.

TasteyPies
09-28-2004, 10:17 PM
UPDATE: Screw it im buying a new copmuter, this one has too many problems. From ram to video cards to this frichen Internet problem.....Im just going to buy my sisters gaming computer.