PDA

View Full Version : the most scary survival horror game...

aeris2001x2
09-17-2004, 06:01 AM
which of these would u say is the most *scary* survival horror game?

while i think resident evil rules,resident evil is just not scary. i have 2 go 4 silent hill 1. that game gives me nightmares...

though silent hill 2, project zero and hell night are all pretty ******* terrifying!

edczxcvbnm
09-17-2004, 06:08 AM
Silent Hill 1. The other games are a cake walk.

I think DooM 3 is scary only because I can't see in the dark the whole time and creatures are always jumping to kill you every chance they get! Its scary in a "HOLY SHIT! PUT THE :love::love::love::love:ING FLASH LIGHT AWAY AND SHOOT HIM WITH A GUN!!!!!"

aeris2001x2
09-17-2004, 06:21 AM
in doom 3, when your in a real dark place, does the *turn up the brightness to max* trick work, like it did in all the other doom games? :D

Maxico
09-17-2004, 06:52 AM
Forbidden siren just for being its self “ohh this is very muddy and that river doesn’t look right, Ill just shine my torch on it and… ewww its made of blood… Well lets see what I got… oooo its gone all static, OOOOoo If I move this stick I can see things. Hey that looks like me, with a big red cross on my head. Oooo the camera is moving towards me and…waitasecond. AAAAHHHHHHHHH *Dies*

Jolts
09-17-2004, 07:11 AM
Well, since the RE series is the only game of this type that I've played, then one of them has to get my vote, and since the remake of RE was so beefed up and realistic looking (which makes it even scarier to me), it got my vote :D.

Meat Puppet
09-17-2004, 09:46 AM
On Doom 3 with the brightness on max, it's still dark. And I get frights from it sometimes. No other game has scaryn me except for the Doom series :'(

Mo-Nercy
09-17-2004, 10:45 AM
Silent Hill 3 for me. I'm going to have to attribute that decision to the fact that Silent Hill 3 was the first Silent Hill I played. 1 and 2 were pretty tame after I had finished the 3rd.

8bit
09-17-2004, 01:31 PM
I would have to say Mignight Mutants on the Atari 7800, it had some really scary bosses back in the day. ;)

http://www.atariprotos.com/7800/software/midnight/midnight.htm

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/7800/7800.html

Shoeberto
09-17-2004, 08:51 PM
Doom 3
Creeeeepy game until you get the hang of it.

gokufusionss1
09-17-2004, 09:14 PM
silent hill is genuinely scaring, it got to the point where i wouldn't play it alone.

Levian
09-17-2004, 09:33 PM
I can't choose between three games.. The only three games I find scary is Silent Hill 1, Resident Evil 1 and Forbidden Siren. In three different ways. Silent Hill 1: psychological, and "I bet there's a monster in this room" kinda way, Resident Evil 1 for being the first survival horror game I played. I was 10, and scared. I don't really like Forbidden Siren. It's quite boring, but it's scary as hell. It always get me jumping when the screen flashes red and they're all after me. I hate the levels with snipers :/ I'll just not vote.

TasteyPies
09-17-2004, 11:54 PM
I think DooM 3 is scary only because I can't see in the dark the whole time

If you are playing the computer version type IDBEHOLDL

Going to HAVE to be the doom series. I started playing that when I was a little child and I was always scared senseless. How can you not add doom in the list? :mad:

aeris2001x2
09-18-2004, 12:57 AM
never found doom scary 2 be honest. its not survival horror, its FPS. but i have not played doom 3, so...

kikimm
09-18-2004, 12:58 AM
Definitley Silent Hill 1. In every way possible. I was constantly jumping, and on edge when I played that game. The second one is also really good, but not scary...just disturbing.

:D

TasteyPies
09-18-2004, 12:59 AM
its not survival horror

In my book killing big nasty demons before they kill you is survival horror.

aeris2001x2
09-18-2004, 01:06 AM
in that case almost every game made is survival horror...is FF survival horror?

its FPS.whether it is scary or not is academic...imo...

Aurey
09-18-2004, 01:22 AM
Silent Hill one gets my vote.

I cannot count the sleepless nights and terrible dreams I had after I had played that game. Ands that's why I love it so much.

TasteyPies
09-18-2004, 01:41 AM
in that case almost every game made is survival horror...is FF survival horror?

No, because it is not scary. DOOM is a SHFPS

aeris2001x2
09-18-2004, 01:47 AM
scaryness does not dertimine survival horror. resident evil is survival horror, but is not scary. Doom lacks the feel of Survival horror imo.

i have not played Doom 3, but were the originals scary? no more so then say Devil May Cry, which is also not SH.

TasteyPies
09-18-2004, 02:03 AM
blah blah blah not a horror by how scary it is blah blah blah.

Please define Horror for me.

aeris2001x2
09-18-2004, 02:14 AM
the genre of survival horror is slightly mis-leading. i dont know how u describe it, there is just a certain style of play that is survival horror and i know what it is when i,m playing it. i get a FPS feel in Doom, same feeling i get from say, Timespliters.

i know thats bull crap, but i really cant explain what i mean. yes i will concede that Doom is a horror game.

Rase
09-18-2004, 03:01 AM
I voted Other, because while I'm not into Survival-Horror games, there was this one level in Thief: Deadly Shadows that really freaked me out with it's sound effects and ambience. It's called The Cradel, and here's a little info. There are spoilers for the game, so don't highlight unless you want to know.

This place is a orphanage/insame assylum that's haunted. PLus, the dead spirits have combined thier forces to actualy make the Cradle building itself alive, and prevent anything from leaving. Of course you, Garret the Master Thief, can enter fine, as you look for information regarding the Old Hag, a hideous creature that is almost all powerful. As you enter, you almost immediatly hear strange noises. Chains rattling, woman and babies screaming and crying, demonic laughter, and a extremely haunting soundtrack. But most of all you'll hear this loud thudding coming from the attic. Of course, you have to go there, so once you muster up the nerve to, you find it's just a sad little spirit girl named Claudia,I think. Anyway, you must then traverse the Cradle, collecting various things for Claudia to help her escape from the Cradle. You see, the only way to escape is to erase all existing things connected to you from the Cradle. Thenit forgets you, allowing you to leave. Of course, the are the great, spirit filled entities called Puppets, which are the insane assylum inmates, complete with grates over thier heads and hands. The Cradle controls that aren't too happy about you being there. You can kill them, but thier still a pain. Also, you must travel into the Cradles memories, using various "toys" of the former inmates and assuming various inmate bodies, to attain all the pieces of Claudia and destroy them. Of course, back then the Cradle was an assylum, so now you must watch out for the Staff Members, who look like Puppets, minus the grates. Thy'll take away you Toy, forcing you to find another. Lose them all and you have to go as yourself, fighting your way through. So, after you do all this for Claudia, time to leave, right? Nope, because guess what, the Cradle remembers you know. So now you must go back as yourself, sneak by the Staff, and fake your suicide to get outta this hell hole. All the while the sound effects almost never stop, except in the Memories.

Black Mage FF1
09-18-2004, 09:59 PM
I would have to say SH2 with SH1 right behind it.

Mo-Nercy
09-19-2004, 12:04 AM
DOOM is a SHFPS

i know thats bull crap, but i really cant explain what i mean. yes i will concede that Doom is a horror game.

Don't concede. I know exactly what you mean.

Doom is most definitely not a survival horror game in my opinion. Survival horror has strict defining guidelines as well, maybe not as clear as those of the RPG genre, but they are still there. Examples:

Both Timesplitters and Second Sight are games by Free Radical. The former is first person controlled, then latter, third person. Although Second Sight isn't really scary, I would say that the mere fact that it's a third person roamer not a first person shooter puts it in the same class as the survival horror, at least moreso than MOST FPS games.

Second Sight also complies with the survival horror genre with it's storyline. A typical survival horror game will always start with your character in a dark mouldy room, usually completely oblivious to the crap that's about to hit the fan. And then, the crap hits the fan and your character is thrown into a story that will be slowly revealed over time, as you go through killing the zombies, finding items, getting hidden diaries, using rusty keys, awakening stone gargoyles... The Doom series aren't exactly known for any amazingly deep plots.

A little contradictory, but not really...Doom is scary. But scary in the way that a monster jumps out at you and you jump from your seat. But that happens in every game. Hell, FFX's glass shattering random battle thing scared me when I first saw it. Resident Evil isn't scary at all, yet it's probably the pioneers of the modern day survival horror game.

Are all FPS automatically exempt from being a survival horror game. No. I'm just saying Doom doesn't make the cut. An example of a real SHFPS is House of the Dead. It's not scary either, in fact, it's actually quite hilarious (hehe, Hambone) but that doesn't mean it's not a survival horror.

Doom = FPS

NM
09-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Scariest game imo is AvP2.

DooM 3 is scary as well but it gets predictable after a few levels.

Rusty
09-19-2004, 02:47 PM
I thought Project zero was quite freaky.

Lindy
09-19-2004, 06:03 PM
System Shock 2.

Mommy, I don't like the psychic monkeys attacking me with balls of energy through walls when I only have 32hp and a wrench as a weapon =(

escobert
09-19-2004, 07:20 PM
Silent hill

black orb
09-20-2004, 03:22 AM
>>> Zombies ate my Neighbors for Snes..
The game was so bad that you had to have balls to play it..

Pure Strife
09-20-2004, 12:02 PM
Silent Hill 2, being as except for all the RE games it's the only survival horror I've played, and it was pretty damn messed up. The hospital was amazing.

Shoeberto
09-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Clive Barker's Undying was pretty creepy, too.

CloudSquallandZidane
09-21-2004, 02:06 AM
Fear you dont know fear

Learn about fear (http://www.hydravision.com/obscure/en/story_en.htm)

Which is a TIGHT demo!

krissy
09-21-2004, 03:26 AM
nice
http://www.hydravision.com/obscure/screens/screen08.jpg

luigi's mansion

BatChao
09-22-2004, 10:38 PM
If by Project Zero you mean Fatal Frame, then yes... FF1 is hands down the scariest game ever created. It's got the atmospheric creepy plus a crap load of pop scares... man... Fatal Frame is so scary I can't play it when I'm by myself. I remember I was playing with my roommate and that part where you look into the hole in the floor and the head flies out at you we screamed like little sissy girls and grabbed each other. It was totally cool. Also that one part where you have to look at the ceiling... scarrrry!

FreaQaZoiD
09-23-2004, 11:59 AM
never found doom scary 2 be honest. its not survival horror, its FPS. but i have not played doom 3, so...

I are agree. Doom [/numerical value 3-] is teh suck! 3 is teh pwn!

O yeah, evri1 who has it should download the flashlight mod...and do your eyes a favour.

~~~FreaQ

Project G
09-23-2004, 12:17 PM
Silent Hill 4:The room.
Man that is disturbing

Ryth
10-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Fatal Frame: Crimson Butterfly s-sc-caryyyy (whimper)........So was Silent Hill 4: The Room and Silent Hill never played too and Silent Hill 3 wasn't scary I didn't find the Resident Evil series too scary though. That Obscure thing is pretty creepy and did you notice when you highlight the text it says Leafmore High School? Is Forrbidden Siren the PS2 Siren game?

DMKA
10-10-2004, 11:16 PM
FF1 is hands down the scariest game ever created.
:p

Mine would have to be this old PC version of Alone in the Dark I played, where you play as this blonde haired woman who goes to mansion to find her missing husband I believe. He had went to the mansion and had been gone for along time and reportedly hadn't came out, so you go...and then I didn't know what I was doing so some demon thing came in and killed me...then when you die it shows this little ending thing...man its creepy.

Rostum
10-11-2004, 09:20 AM
I get scared easily, but Doom 3 is pretty scary... I suppose. I really liked Silent Hill though.

Project G
10-11-2004, 12:01 PM
The scariest game in the world is Teletubbies

Polaris
10-11-2004, 12:09 PM
Nah it's barbie games! I really think it is TRI, you put the sound in the max and I almost died of heart attack!

Project G
10-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Ha ha

nik0tine
10-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Ive only played the Resident Evil series, but they aren't all that scary. They just kinda make you jump every once and a while, though the first play through always is sort of scary. ehh. more like suspensful i guess.

chriswong
11-11-2004, 11:47 PM
you're all mistaken... the most scary game-moment has to be the big eel in super mario 64 (3rd level, i think). that sh** is not for kids.

Bernhard
11-13-2004, 12:19 AM
System Shock 2.
I concur.

"I'm sorry.."

Ugh...

Divine Heretic
11-13-2004, 12:43 AM
Silent hill 1 or Resident Evil 1 for me.

Silent hill for the fact that that game was truly F**ked up. The rusty blood colours and the air raid siren? Once you knew what that thing meant you were like "oh crap...It's getting bad again" and the constant darkness? I mean, not like RE darkness where there was lights and stuff...just pratically constant pitch black and the static on the radio? You Heard it was there before you saw it? those were some pretty messed up moments.

Resident evil because you were given literally *NO* ammo and you had to wade through all this mess and back out again. It was madness and it was really the first survival horror game around. Scared the whits out of me. Oh and:

When in RE 1 you see the Tyrant in his tube and barry messes around with his controls then it breaks out and floors barry then *you* have to fight it...By yourself!?!? That was stupidly scary!

Giga Guess
11-13-2004, 06:43 AM
Silent Hill 4. It's just this feeling of helplessness, that you're just being toyed with, you know? Hell, thanks to all the Silent Hill games, I'll never look at darkness the same way again.

pooter7799
11-22-2004, 12:09 AM
though i loved the storey of silent hill 2, silent hill 4 scared the http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gif out of me i loved the whole cleanse the house thing