PDA

View Full Version : Sky Captain and the World of Tommorow

Miriel
09-19-2004, 02:45 AM
This movie was great fun, a fantastic 2 hour escape from reality. Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Giovanni Ribisi and Angelina Jolie were all great in their campy, somewhat cheesy, roles. It's also one of the most visually stunning movies I've ever seen, the opening sequence was just WOW. In fact pretty much every single frame of this movie is a gorgeous work of art. I'm so in love with the retro throwback style of the movie that I wish I could see it again just so I can pay a bit more attention to the various iconic imagery that's scattered throughout the movie. It was also surprisingly funny at times, and the ending shot was especially hilarious.

The film dragged at certain points but overall it was a great movie. At least 6 people walked out of the theater which shows that this isn't a movie for everyone. You kinda have to allow yourself to be swept up into this retro-futuristic world and once you do you can't help but have loads of fun with the movie.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/Hanniez/skycaptain.jpg

Shoeberto
09-19-2004, 02:50 AM
I wanna see it. It has such a neat look about it - the steampunk style that is <i>supah fly.</i>

kikimm
09-19-2004, 05:06 AM
Argh. I was JUST going to make a thread about this. I'm going to see it in about....an hour and a half. It looks good, but I'll find out soon enough. Angelina Jolie looks cool in it. I could be completely wrong, but a friend of mine said they use a dead actor in it...?

Anyways, I'm glad you liked it. Seeing someone else enthused about a movie makes me want to see it even more.

:D

Optium
09-19-2004, 05:30 AM
I don't think I'll be paying any money to see it. The whole blurry, way too
bright effect in every single frame made me think they made it look that
way to cover something up, possibly a horrible movie lying underneath.
Just can't get over that thought.

.opt

Miriel
09-19-2004, 05:53 AM
Angelina Jolie is only in it for about 15 minutes, but she makes the most of her time and I really enjoyed watching her and Jude Law's character interact. She has this odd accent going on, but it really works because her whole character is a bit over the top.

The "dead actor" is Sir Lawrence Oliver. He appears as a hologram and I believe they took footage from his archives and then had an actor do voiceover work for the character.

Optium, believe me the visuals are just breathtaking. Because everything was done on bluescreen, nothing feels out of place. Everything looks incredibly smooth and realistic in an odd cartoon-like way. This movie will win an oscar for the amazing things they've done in terms of art direction and visual effects. The story is the classic hero vs. villian but just because it's been done before doesn't take away from the fact that this is just good solid entertainment. A wonderful homage to films like the Wizard of Oz, King Kong, and Metropolis.

I kept thinking that if they ever decided to do a live action Final Fantasy movie, THIS would be the way to do it.

Leeza
09-19-2004, 08:17 AM
Hopefully I'll be able to see it this week. The retro-futuristic cheesiness of it is just what I want to see. :)

Seifer
09-19-2004, 03:50 PM
It kind of reminded me of Final Fantasy based purely around Airships and robots. I thought it was really good. There wasn't one boring moment in the movie.

Erdrick Holmes
09-19-2004, 07:13 PM
I dunno, it looks to cheese in the previews even for me. I doubt I'm going to go see it.

Carnage
09-19-2004, 07:20 PM
I heard this movie was supposed to be the star wars of our time. breaking new grounds in filming and stuff.

kikimm
09-19-2004, 08:16 PM
Righto. I saw it last night---I wasn't disappointed at all. It kind of jumped right into the action a little wuick for me, but that's only a small problem. I kept getting deja-vu when I was watching it. It's very 30's/40's, which I really like.

I liked it. It did have everything a good movie should have. The last scene was especially good. :p

:D

BatChao
09-19-2004, 08:30 PM
I really liked it! The whole 30s meets the future kind of thing was pretty neat-o as was the visual style of the movie. They could have used more scenes with dogfighting in there since those were so freakin' awesome, but all in all, a pretty fun movie to watch!