PDA

View Full Version : Is Square-Enix running out of ideas?

Erdrick Holmes
09-19-2004, 06:50 PM
I mean seriously. Square is lacking in the luster it had back in the years 93-98, all they keep doing is Squeezing out sequels and spinoffs to FFVII (which is good but is way to overrated). With all of the time put towards making these they could have actually finished Chrono Break, made a sequel to Vagrant Story, and maybe made another Ehrgiez.

Does anybody else think Square-Enix is losing quality?

TheAbominatrix
09-19-2004, 07:17 PM
I'm so sick of this. Everytime Square does something new, something different, they're running out of ideas. When X came out, omg Square was running out of ideas. When X-2 came out, something that Square had never done before, omg they're running out of ideas.

Since X-2 came out, people have been whining that VII needs a sequel. Now it gets two, and once more 'omg they're out of ideas'. If they were out of ideas, they'd be doing the same thing over and over again. I fail to see how doing something different, like action rpgs, sequels, prequels, and movies means they're out of ideas. I do agree that they're really getting annoying with this VII overkill, but that's the fault of the fans. Rabid VII fans have been screaming for more for quite some time. Well, you got it, for good or for ill.

DJZen
09-19-2004, 08:04 PM
Amen, Abominatrix.

Let us not forget that Squenix is a company, not a religion. They have some hits, some misses, and some horrible abortions of gaming. They're not running out of ideas, they're trying things, which is actually the opposite of running out of ideas. You see, you need to have new ideas in order to try new things.

Square's done plenty of bad games in the past. PLENTY of them. Square's Tom Sawyer should say it all.

Chris
09-19-2004, 09:05 PM
Of course they're not running out of ideas.
Look, they tried something completely new when they released a sequal to a Final Fantasy (Final Fantasy X-2) plus they went online with Final Fantasy XI and they also put out a multi-player Final Fantasy game called Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.
So they're obviously not running out of ideas...they're just expanding their options.

Levian
09-19-2004, 09:26 PM
I don't know if they're lacking ideas, but there sure is something they're lacking. The magic disappeared after FFIX, in my opinion. The later final fantasies has become more Japanese, I guess that's why I find them a bit repulsive.

Erdrick Holmes
09-19-2004, 10:25 PM
The only bad games from Square that I can think of were Secret of Evermore, FFX-2, and Chocobo Racing. I think after FFVIII it went downhill and it realy peaked at FFVI and VII.

Del Murder
09-20-2004, 01:52 AM
I don't think they are. Just because you don't like the ideas doesn't mean they aren't there! No one can like everything a company does. And in terms of quality, it is a matter of opinion of when a company peaks. Hopefully there are other games out there that you can enjoy.

Giga Guess
09-20-2004, 02:38 AM
Agreed, SD. A company can't appease EVERYONE. I think in every game they tweak things up a bit...enough, in my mind, to warrant as innovation. I like to think that they're doing pretty good, actually

DJZen
09-20-2004, 07:25 AM
I don't know if they're lacking ideas, but there sure is something they're lacking. The magic disappeared after FFIX, in my opinion. The later final fantasies has become more Japanese, I guess that's why I find them a bit repulsive.

Maybe that's because Square is and always has been a JAPANESE COMPANY?

TheAbominatrix
09-21-2004, 04:17 PM
The only bad games from Square that I can think of were Secret of Evermore, FFX-2, and Chocobo Racing. I think after FFVIII it went downhill and it realy peaked at FFVI and VII.

And I think X was beautiful and VIII and IX were crap. What we think isnt important. It's the sales figures that're important. And sales are booming right now. X-2 did very very well.

Square is busting out so many unique ideas it's making my head spin. Not just in FF either, but they're really expanding their genre. Action RPGs, MMORPGs, multiplayer RPGs, tactics RPGs, movies, prequels, sequels, cell phone games... so many.

So basically everyone says they want Square to be unique and original, yet stick to the exact same formula as their 'peak' games, VI, VII, and Chrono Trigger. Now those were awesome games, but you cant have it both ways. It's not unique to make games exactly like ones they've already made. It just isnt.

You can go on and on about losing faith in the company, but like DJZen said, it isnt a freaking religion. If Square is boring you, there's about 1,000 other great RPGs made by other companies out there. Go pick up EA's LotR: The Third Age when it comes out. Or get Disgea (or however you spell it). Get older games like Wild ARMs or Star Ocean II.

Even if Square puts itself in a rut and, gasp, no longer dominates the RPG market, we'll live, and there's hundreds of wildly excellent RPGs out there to replace them, and great companies making great games to keep us occupied. Heck, Hironobu Sakaguchi, the guy behind a good chuck of FF (yes, even in it's wonderful 'peak') has his own company now. Expect them to be tossing out some great ones.

Not to mention that, while I cant stand this VII craze and I never have been able to, Square has given fans exactly what they've been asking for. "We want a sequel!" Oh, okay. Here's a movie! "What!? I cant play a movie!" This is true, here's a game! "ON A FREAKING CELLPHONE!?" Oh alright, here's an adventure staring the guy all you goth kids are obsessed with! "omfg squarenix you guys are such greedy pigs, you're running out of ideas how dare you!"

Sheesh, I'm in a ranty mood today.

Shoeberto
09-22-2004, 01:15 AM
I didn't read this thread but I think they should revive Rad RAcer as a turn-based tactical racing title with prerendered backdrops and a sprawling soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu

Trumpet Thief
09-22-2004, 01:45 AM
chaos: Meh, I wouldn't say they are running out of ideas. And it is true that many FFVII fans have been begging for a sequel. Square Enix is in it for the money, and apparently, that's what they'll get from a sequel. It's pretty much impossible to please everyone.

Rubedo: Although, I would say they have lost their luster. IMO, I thought that after FFVI, it lost the Fantasy. I loved the newer games, but, I thought they should've been named something else other than FF... Final Fantasy VII in my opinion, was too... dark. It did feel a lot like a Final Fantasy, but sometimes, I could even mistake it for some kind of horror game, although that might've been Sephiroth's fault, who was a great villan nonetheless. And, scenes have to be darkened to show his true nature of course. But still, I didn't get into that whole "feel" as I did with FFIV and VI.

chaos: FFVIII just brought the reality closer with better graphics, and more realistic personalities, I guess. It was also a great game in my eyes, but not a fantasy. Felt like a war game getting mixed up with sorceresses and magic. FFIX went back to the good ol' times, except, I still didn't get the feel. For me, FFIX just felt like it was trying to hard to mix back with the old, and apparently, added different races at probably the worst times IMO. A great game still, but, to me, nothing like the older ones.

Trowa: Final Fantasy X felt the same too, except in a more powerful way. Would've been a better movie than a game...

Albedo: *Laughs maniacally* So our ultimatum is that they aren't losing their ideas, but they have in fact lost their touch. Of course, this thought is just coming from our messed up minds...

DJZen
09-22-2004, 06:54 PM
I think FFXI is proof positive that SE hasn't lost their creativity or their touch. It's a madly addictive game and it really feels right at home for an old-school head like me. There's some small innovations in it that make it somewhat unique in a market that's quickly becoming oversaturated, and as long as they can keep it running for a good long time, there'll be a reason to play.

Lord Chainsaw
09-22-2004, 07:09 PM
I mean seriously. Square is lacking in the luster it had back in the years 93-98, all they keep doing is Squeezing out sequels and spinoffs to FFVII (which is good but is way to overrated).

That's where your opinion will differ from the vast majority of gamers. Personally, I think Final Fantasy VI is the most overrated game to ever have carried the Final Fantasy name. I also consider Ocarina of Time to be the most overrated game of all time. But that doesn't matter, because the majority of gamers don't agree with me there.

People like Final Fantasy VII. It is the most popular Final Fantasy of all time. The majority of people do want a sequel for it. It doesn't matter if a small minority thinks it is overrated, because the vast majority do not.

What really bothers me is that the FF6 elitists on Gamefaqs are already complaining that this FF7 spin-off should have never been made, and they haven't even played the damn thing yet.

master01
09-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Well... i love square. square is like a lover: you got to suport in hard times, or you wont get any sex.
i wish they'll work on brining back the old FF to europe... i want to play them but i cant buy them...

and square do think about the money.
i dont say FFX is a bad game, its a great game, but i think the only reason for FFX-2 was for money. maybe im wrong, maybe im not.

but, out of ideas???
i got to words: Kingdom Hearts.
they made it only about two years ago,and that was A game! if youll ask me there's no match between KH to FFX, KH rulez. new, refrashing, daring. that, is the way i love square, if you'll belive, you will get the greatest games of all. if you'll suport, you will have sex!

square! does all the games just for us! so i will buy DoC i will see AC and if i'll have to, i will buy a new cellphone! because i belive! i belive in square! square never did let me down before!

square, shine on!