PDA

View Full Version : Theatrical Release vs DVD

Cid
09-19-2004, 07:29 PM
Recently in an interview Square said that it hadn't eliminated the idea of releasing in theaters.

What would you prefer?

Erdrick Holmes
09-19-2004, 07:46 PM
When is the US release being planned for? I forgot the date.

Sefie1999AD
09-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Probably a DVD release. If FF7 AC was released in theaters, it will cost Square Enix a lot more, and there's a risk that this will turn into another financial loss like FF: TSW. In addition, with a DVD release, you'll gain access to all the bonus features like multiple language options, bonus trailers, staff interviews, image galleries et cetera a lot faster than if there was a thetrical release. If the movie comes to the big screen first, it will take an additional 6+ months until we actually get the movie as a VHS/DVD.

kikimm
09-20-2004, 12:42 AM
It's much safer for them if they just release it on dvd. If you haven't played the game, you're not going tot get it, which eliminates many potential viewers. It just isn't a smart idea.

I'm fine with it on dvd. I want the stupid thing already, without waiting the extra time, like Sephiroth1999AD said.

:D

UltimateSpamGrover
09-20-2004, 03:50 AM
wait a sec, if they put it in theaters, wouldn't they have to put FFVII in some sort of movie too? kinda weird putting a sequel in theaters without its prequel also being a movie, if you know what I mean

DJZen
09-20-2004, 07:07 AM
If it comes out in theaters first that'd be cool, but I doubt it'd be a full six months before it made it to DVD. Anyway, it'd be awesome to see it on the big screen, and we'd still get the DVD release anyway. It's not like they're mutually exclusive.

Erdrick Holmes
09-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I'd rather pay 15 bucks for the DVD so I can watch it as much as I please instead of paying 6 bucks to watch it once on a big screen with a bunch other people around me.

Miriel
09-20-2004, 01:01 PM
It would be suicide for Square to try and release this movie in theaters and the DVD is a much better (and safer) way to go. But still, l wouldn't mind seeing it in a theater just once to see it play on a giant screen and really have that movie-watching experience. Kinda like how Newline released the extended DVD versions of FotR and TTT for that one time, massive Lord of the Rings marathon last December.

It was mainly for promotional purposes, to get everyone hyped up for Return of the King, but they earned a nice chunk of change by doing it.

A bit off-topic but $6 movie tickets??? Good gawd I miss those days :(

Carnage
09-20-2004, 07:47 PM
Imax baby :cool:

SadisticStreetSoldie
09-23-2004, 05:30 PM
I'd definetely prefer it to be a DVD because if it's just as confusing as the game, I won't have to pay another £7 to go see it again at that friggin cinema. And plus not a lot of people (that I know) like FF7 or even know about it so in other words, I agree, a theatrical release would result in bankrupcy.

Wanderlust
09-23-2004, 08:11 PM
I'm hoping that it goes straight to DVD. I'm anxious to see it, and if it goes to theatres, I most likley won't go.

Does anyone know the release date?

XxSephirothxX
09-24-2004, 12:59 AM
I'd love to see it in theatres. I mean, Sky Captain is promoting itself as a revolution in movies. But Advent Children looks so much better! I think seeing it on a big screen would be mess-your-pants incredible! But, it would also cost SE a LOT of money. If they do release it in theatres, it will probably be a very small release...like some anime movies see...around 50 theatres or so. Overall, they'd probably make a better profit by going straight to DVD. Meh..now I have to find somebody who has a home theatre... :D

Vaprice
09-24-2004, 02:56 AM
No theaters, that'd be much more for square-enix. As everyone has stated before I'd like to buy it and watch it over and over again. Much more easier~ :love:

Yay for Tifa!!!!!sorry~~~

Kilika
09-24-2004, 10:21 AM
Imax baby :cool:

Garland
09-27-2004, 06:27 AM
I want SE to make more movies like Advent Children. That's why I don't want it to go to theaters. If SE releases Advent Children as a DVD, they can spend and market the movie in a very similar way to any other FF on the market. It's what they know how to do, and they'll get the sales they need to call AC a success. SE doesn't know how to market movies. They horribly misjudged Spirits Within, and it nearly put them out of business.

Necronopticous
09-27-2004, 07:58 AM
I most likley won't go.

I'm going to be frank; are you out of your ever-loving mind?

ANYHOW! I am anxious to see this regardless of what medium it comes on, although I think even if this film does not get a theatrical release, there will still be a possibility of seeing it in theatre, most likely at nicer more cinematic theatres in very very select locations. I would say that it will most probably play somewhere in Los Angeles, even if it is not box office, in which case, I will see it 5 times a day for every day it plays there.

I will preorder, prepay, do anything I possibly can to get this DVD in my posession the day Square ships it. If they have a VHS, I'll buy that too. If it comes out any earlier in Japan I'll download the fansub as soon as humanly possible. Which reminds me, I REALLY hope the dubbing is no less than excellent, it's really the only place I can see this film having any sort of downside. I have faith in Square's decisions though... I mean, just look at Final Fantasy X, a dubbed masterpiece.