PDA

View Full Version : The Masamune...

Giga Guess
09-20-2004, 04:14 AM
I feel a little silly, but here goes...

I read something a little bit back saying that the Masamune isn't a katana, but rather a size up one more. Could...anyone tell me the technical name of this type of blade, thank you.

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-20-2004, 04:55 AM
The Masamune is a No-Dachi, in essence, the greatsword form of a katana. No-Dachi were about six feet in length, easily one of the largest swords in the world, and were made with the same folded steel technique that was used with the katana. A powerful weapon, but obviously difficult to wield.

TheAbominatrix
09-20-2004, 05:18 AM
No-Dachi were typically wider though, but yeah that's pretty much what it is. It's not an extremely popular weapon because of it's difficulty... Seiji Date of Yoroiden Samurai Troopers (Ronin Warriors) uses one. It's neat.

Giga Guess
09-20-2004, 01:32 PM
No-Dachi! Thanks guys. Much appreciated!

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Not a problem. If you want to see one in action I suggest playing Bushido Blade or Bushido Blade 2.

DJZen
09-21-2004, 07:16 AM
It's correctly called an "Odachi". Nodachi means "field sword" and Odachi means "great sword". Not a huge deal though, apparently this is a very common mistake to the point where it's in many official sources.

Wuggly Blight
09-23-2004, 06:42 PM
The story of how it was forged was there was to sword makers, Masamune and murasame, his apprentice, who tried to outdo his master so they both forged the best sword they could.
When it was done, and they saw there creations they had a contest to see what was better. Murasame lay his sword down in the steam and a leaf came past, and it cut it clean in half. The masamune was placed in second into the stream and another leaf came down. Strangely enough the masamune cut the water, Obviously masamune was baffeled by this and asked why did it happen.
Masamune said My sword knows its true purpose, to defend life - not to take. it cut the ater to prevent uneeded distruction, your sword does not know this and thus it can never reach its full potential."
so meh. random really...