PDA

View Full Version : problems with SUSE Linux

Yamaneko
09-20-2004, 10:36 PM
1. I updated from an older version of KDE to KDE 3.3, but now in Konqueror, under devices, I'm given the error, "Protocol not supported devices". What gives?

2. When I go to /media and try to open a CD from either the cdrom drive or the cdrecorder drive, I get, "could not enter folder /media/cdrom. I know it's mounting because I can play audio CDs using the CD Player (albeit without sound; another problem). Help?

3. I can't play WAV files it seems.

That's it... for now.

Dr Unne
09-20-2004, 10:47 PM
1. Backup and move / delete your ~/.kde* folders and restart KDE see if that helps. Moving / deleting those folders will reset your KDE configuration. If it does solve your problem, then it's just something wrong with your configuration, so restore the folders and try to track it down (or just start over from scratch). If it doesn't help, then it might be a KDE bug. How often does Suse release new packages? Keep an eye on it, maybe they'll release a bugfix. Generally when upgrading between major version releases of things like KDE, you might just want to delete your configuration data and start over anyways, to save yourself headaches.

2. "Could not enter folder /media/cdrom" is a rather sucky and uninformative error message, but if I had to guess I'd say either the folder doesn't exist or you don't have permissions, or (doubtful) you don't have CD-ROM support compiled into your kernel. Some programs can access your CD drive(s) without having to mount them. Might want to check to make sure it's really mounted. Also check to make sure that /media/cdrom is actually the mountpoint for your CD-ROM (it'll be in /etc/fstab, if Suse is standard). Also check to make sure that you have read / execute permissions to your CD-ROM as a regular user (ls -l will show you that). If not, you can fix the permissions in fstab. That program IS through Konq too, right? ls /media/cdrom and see if that gives you a better error message.

3. With which program? Can you produce sound through your speakers at all? If so, there does exist a program that can play wav files for you. Does Suse use OSS or ALSA for its sound drivers? (Probably ALSA.) If ALSA, then see if you have a command line program called aplay, and try to aplay a wav file. If you have XMMS, try that. KDE also comes with various media players, try those. If some of those programs work and others don't, then it's just a driver / sound daemon misconfiguration of some sort, or else you're trying to use a program that doesn't support the wav file format, though the latter is rather unlikely.

crono_logical
09-21-2004, 01:25 AM
If it's ALSA, check the card's not muted as it is by default when ALSA is first installed :p

Yamaneko
09-21-2004, 05:52 AM
Fixed the first problem. I installed kdebase3-extra-3.3.0-8.i586.rpm, which put back the drive entries in "devices", which kdebase3.3.0 took out.

The second and third problem seem to be related because I'm able to read and execute data CDs from both media drives, but not audio CDs. I get the error I mentioned. fstab looks good, but here it is (just the media device parts):

/dev/cdrecorder /media/cdrecorder subfs fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom subfs fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

/dev/fd0 /media/floppy subfs fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync 0 0