PDA

View Full Version : Must....talk....like....idiot

Peegee
09-22-2004, 06:54 PM
I have this quirk. It's not as much a quirk as it is an annoying habit. Or maybe the term I'm looking for is 'dyslexic inebriation disorder'. Anyway, it seems the moment I sit down here and fire up the ol' instant messengers, my ability to converse in a coherent or perhaps even sane fashion vanishes. I'm not kidding in the least here. In fact despite this being GC, I am trying my best not to overtly stuff my thread with acronyms of a certain asian-origin disease. Anyway, this is my online malfunction.

Do you have any? Or do you somehow manage to speak as if you normally would in real life? Do you sit down in front of the computer and suddenly start typing using ludicrous shorthand (like U/b/ur/wut ? Even I don't do that)? Do you only chat when you're drunk, thus typing like PG but with a coherent thought in mind? Do you, for some bizarre reason, actually chat like I do? (If so you must converse with me!)

And if you speak like a normal person, why? Also any insight into the concept of PGism/PGness is greatly appreciated. I honestly do NOT know what I am doing or what motivates me to BREAK OUT INTO BOUTS OF OMFGASLPIESBBQLWTFSARSSTDHOBBITSEX ASL ASIAN PRIDE.

Discuss.

Strider
09-22-2004, 07:00 PM
I type as I would writing an essay or whatever, because I can't fathom the thought of typing any other way. That shorthand gibberish has always always always gotten on my nerves, perhaps because the rules to typing properly were beaten into my head with a stick when I was young. I can never imagine typing any other way than what you see now.

Ouch!
09-22-2004, 07:07 PM
I strive to use proper grammar, punctuation, spelling and whatnot. It’s just something I do. Sure, occasionally I’ll misspell a word, or type a comma instead of a period, but generally I try to be perfect? Why, probably out of habit. Even when I’m chatting on AIM or when I’m playing online games, I do this. Sometimes people think it’s strange. Others, for some reason, think that I’m angry when I type like this. It’s like they fear the usage of a period.

For example, when people ask me a question and I reply, “No.” they think I’m terribly upset or offended or, like I’ve said, angry.

Generally, any for of chat-speak with constant usage of shortened forms of words annoys me. I can’t stand it when someone types a sentence such as, “u r gey, omg!!1! rofl i r 2 kewl 4 u!” I just get really irritated. Not so much in chat (though I have had an effect on my friends and they make attempts to spell everything out) where you’re trying to type quickly, but on a forum, people have the time and probably the intelligence to put a bit more effort into it. I would be very happy to see the Grammar Gestapo revived.

Aside from that, I type just as quickly spelling everything out and using grammar as I do using chat-speak. I really only use XD, and that’s not really chat-speak. Sometimes I’ll throw in some other things, but not usually. I’m much more satisfied typing, heh or hehe than using LOL or ROFL.

So yeah, anybody with me to revive the Grammar Gestapo, just say so. Specifically people with power are preferred. I know boards where people are required to make an effort while posting, and reading is a lot more enjoyable.

Of course, I don’t mean to offend anyone who does use chat-speak, but it’s really just a pet peeve and I’d much rather not see it. However, at this point it’s your right to speak like an idiot. All it does is reveal that you can tell the difference between your and you’re.

m4tt
09-22-2004, 07:08 PM
I only type in short hand gibberish when I am making fun of people who normally type in short hand gibberish. I know I don't have the best grammar in the world, but I try to make my writing easy to read. :p You need a decoder ring to figure out some stuff. "wat lvl shuld u go 2 da trex forst?"

Psychotic
09-22-2004, 07:12 PM
"wat lvl shuld u go 2 da trex forst?"

Translation: I want you Matty Baby! I want you NOW! ...ahem :D

Yeah. I go crazy in IMs. As you well know, Mr. PG. Actually, I go crazy a lot of the time, but I like to keep my grammar and punctuation and spelling accurate. Although it's probably allllllll wrong. Whee!

Chris
09-22-2004, 07:18 PM
I always try to present myself in the best possible way.
So, as others; I might misspell a couple of words but that doesn’t make me any less human than others.
You have to be careful of how you choose to present yourself, if you strive for total perfection people may not take you as seriously as you might have hoped for.
I’m not perfect and by no means is my grammar flawless, but I always try to make everything I write readable…what more can I do?

Xander
09-22-2004, 07:26 PM
I just can never stop typing "hehe". Even if it's not funny! Or doesn't make sense there. I just say it anyway. Hehe. See. AHHH ITS BUGGING ME NOW.

Chris
09-22-2004, 07:30 PM
It's not funny...hehe...DAMN! SEE WHAT YOU MADE ME DO :D

ZeZipster
09-22-2004, 08:29 PM
dats AZN pride to u boi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

ellipsis-ellipsis..

Rye
09-22-2004, 08:47 PM
I keep on thraving typing "xD." It's sorta automatic now.

Cz
09-22-2004, 09:24 PM
I only use shorthand when I'm being ironic/silly. Thus, I spend about half of my time typing in shorthand.

Zifnab
09-22-2004, 09:27 PM
I type how I'd normally talk most of the time, especially in IMs. I don't use shorthand unless it's a group of words (like lmao or wtf for example) because I have a voice that goes with shorthand, and it sounds pretty stupid. Like I'd prounounce 'wut' differently to 'what', and I don't say wut IRL, so it doesn't go on the Internet either. :rolleyes2

Shlup
09-22-2004, 10:26 PM
When I am in IM with PG I tell him to shut up a lot 'cause I don't want to catch his SARS.

Baloki
09-22-2004, 10:29 PM
Being an idiot gets me out of reply to this...

Denmark
09-22-2004, 11:20 PM
First off, I believe that talking to PG recently has made me sick (with SARS?)

Secondly, I type differently depending on who I'm talking to. For online friends (like you guys :<z>D), I use normal typing like I'm using here, except when making fun of people (or talking to PG). Examples: omfg wtf ihavesars hobbitsex sars SARS YOU ARE FAT asian fat lolz w00t. And I usually use proper grammar because that's cool. When I'm talking to some of my real life friends (that's a rare occurrence), I might use "u" instead of "you".

Lastly, sarswtfhobbitsex. :mastersha

Peegee
09-22-2004, 11:27 PM
Muggy doesn't like mcdonald's breakfast.

Who lieks pai? Bai mai pai. asl? sars

goats boats coats zygotes notebooks totes votes moats floats trenchcoats

pika pi, pika chuuuuuuu

asian pride!

sup my asian brother?

...and I can't think of any more. The above are my catchphrases. I think I used to say different ones before, like the 'bai mai pai' isn't really said any more.

asl? 69/F/UK

Logan
09-23-2004, 01:12 AM
First off, I believe that talking to PG recently has made me sick (with SARS?)

Secondly, I type differently depending on who I'm talking to. For online friends (like you guys :<z>D), I use normal typing like I'm using here, except when making fun of people (or talking to PG). Examples: omfg wtf ihavesars hobbitsex sars SARS YOU ARE FAT asian fat lolz w00t. And I usually use proper grammar because that's cool.
Lastly, sarswtfhobbitsex. :mastersha
PG keeps giving me SARS through AIM. :(

And yeah, that too. With most of my online friends, I type crazy and hyper, but with people I hardly know, or people from school, I type normal-er. Like this. Sort of.

Craig
09-23-2004, 01:17 AM
I type with full words in IMs but no puncuation.. maybe the odd ! or ? here and there, I only use short hand for groups of words and "lol" can't escape that one.

Del Murder
09-23-2004, 02:35 AM
Being a role model to millions, I of course have to be able to speak quite eloquently.

ghetto, your ability to talk wasn't deleted, was it? Sometimes I don't even know my own strength. If that was the case, contact me and I will fax you the reversal procedure. You have a rectal thermometer I hope.

Giga Guess
09-23-2004, 04:08 AM
I usually try to keep my chatting/posting to the point that others can read what I'm saying without a translator. WHAT I say, on the other hand, is a totally different story. I've e-violated many, many people in the EoFF Chatroom....it's almost sad...

Oh and liberal use of emoticons...

UltimateSpamGrover
09-23-2004, 04:36 AM
Being an idiot gets me out of reply to this...

Me IdIoT? No I think so but what wrong? wrong that is something! Idiot must I am! Understand you me no? AGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big D
09-23-2004, 05:15 AM
My internet-writing is a lot more wordy and complex than everyday speech. More polysyllabic words, more run-on sentences with too many clauses. Kinda high-fallutin' academic-sounding stuff.

soulICE
09-23-2004, 05:47 AM
der.. der.. deR *seizure*

krissy
09-23-2004, 06:47 AM
usually i try to loose control of my fingers so thea t typos come up
typign is too slow sometimes so i dont wait for its ot cathc up

Calliope
09-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Krissy is the only one here who I'll tolerate typing as he does <3

Meat Puppet
09-23-2004, 11:14 AM
To my real life friends I type like they do. All messed up and stuff. I mean, what if they think I'm "uncool" or "not hip" or something? Because I type all "smart"?

But. I.

FreaQaZoiD
09-23-2004, 11:20 AM
Do you sit down in front of the computer and suddenly start typing using ludicrous shorthand (like U/b/ur/wut ? Even I don't do that)?

Yay! It r ez to tok lyk dis! Say wha?

~~~FreaQ

Rye
09-23-2004, 11:55 AM
PG and I discuss intelligent things such as how Sears sells SARs but won't except returns. And Ry chuuuuu! :cool:

Peegee
09-23-2004, 02:34 PM
sears isn't selling sars any more. It was a one-time sars sears sale

Iceglow
09-23-2004, 02:59 PM
when I type I pretty much hold what I'm saying in the form of a conversation in my mind (otherwise I'd constantly be talking to myself) so it's pretty accurate even to the lack of grammar half the time the only difference is I dont swear much apart from MSN with certain people. Also on MSN with a few people a smilie can be a sentence so then those convo's are wierd

krissy
09-23-2004, 05:01 PM
<3 Nickyt

Giga Guess
09-24-2004, 12:48 AM
My internet-writing is a lot more wordy and complex than everyday speech. More polysyllabic words, more run-on sentences with too many clauses. Kinda high-fallutin' academic-sounding stuff.

Likewise, except I use a lot of polysyllabic words in real life, too. Irratasa lot of people.

Casey
09-25-2004, 03:04 AM
I dun know wat u talkin about.

BREAK OUT INTO BOUTS OF OMFGASLPIESBBQLWTFSARSSTDHOBBITSEX ASL ASIAN PRIDE.

Im half asian! PEOPLE PRIDE!! wOOt.

<3 pwnt. dasfjadsfjk;gafgwejrfiweyxzbn ka-pwnt. ownt..... (x_X)

Peegee
09-25-2004, 03:10 AM
omg lol asian pride yo do you like to chow mein ^_____________4

Casey
09-25-2004, 06:46 AM
omg lol asian pride yo do you like to chow mein ^_____________4

Say wat?

Please articulate. Oh there noodles. I like Filipino pancit wit some rice, if that counts.

http://www.fareasttravelonline.co.uk/pancit.jpg

Good stuff. And its not Asian pride, its people pride!! :)

Peegee
09-25-2004, 06:50 AM
But people pride doesn't involve asians :(

Casey
09-25-2004, 06:55 AM
Yeah, but what about half asians? There half asian pride? People pride is the way to go man, plus asian pride sounds racist to some people.

People pride! wOOt! :p

FightClubFan#47
09-25-2004, 07:35 AM
I try to annoy poeple. "Word G dog, hows it hangin dizzog, u? well g its flyin alrite...lata i gota go and rotate these tires..." and " :eek: :cry: :mad: :confused: :lol: :chuckle: :tongue: :love: :cry: :beer: :sing: :kiss: :jap: :yellowkin :happybday :angel: :grinpink: :bgl: :moose: :freak: :down: :erm: :Oo: :whaaa: :whimper: :evilking: :shoot: " or "my :catsmile: went :jap: and tried to :shoot: me which made me :hot: so i :chop: it"

-N-
09-25-2004, 10:47 AM
I type like a six year old child.

Silmaril
09-25-2004, 04:49 PM
I just use the occasional "r" "u" "i".