PDA

View Full Version : is there a way...

aeris2001x2
09-24-2004, 02:27 PM
to check the current KB size and Pixel number of my sig? i,m just worried i may accidently go over one day, and i do not really want 2 bother staff with PM's to check it..

Polaris
09-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Go to Windows explorer, select the pic that you want select priorities and there is the pixels that your sig/banner has!

Xander
09-24-2004, 02:49 PM
To expand a little, you should be able to right click on the image in your sig and select properties, if you're using Internet Explorer.

If the number in bytes is over 50000, then it's too big. If the dimension says over 550x250 then the size is too big. I don't know how you check with other explorers. If you have the image saved on your disk, you can check by just selecting it in the folder it's in, and checking it's properties there.

crono_logical
09-24-2004, 04:28 PM
51200, not 50000, for the number of bytes :p

Peegee
09-24-2004, 05:59 PM
You however need to have an internet cache to do that (right? I don't see any image info with mozilla cuz I use 1kb of cache) -- what you can do is save your image on your hard drive (or if it's there, skip to the next step) and right click-> properties.

Dr Unne
09-24-2004, 08:59 PM
If you can see an image on your screen, the file for that image is stored somewhere on your computer, whether it be in your RAM or on your HD, and you should be able to get information about the image. My guess would be that even with 1kb cache, you do store a lot more data than that on your HD, but that it's deleted once you're done looking at it. But that's a guess.

Carnage
09-24-2004, 09:17 PM
How many bytes is a letter worth? does centering anything use more bytes?

Dr Unne
09-24-2004, 09:32 PM
In an image? It depends on how big you make it, as in how physically big: an inch tall? Two inches? X pixels takes Y bytes to store as an image, whether your picture is of letters, frogs, blank white space, or whatever. But it'll also differ depending on your compression method. A letter in an image is just a bunch of pixels like anything else. (Unless you use vector graphics...) Centering text in a graphic doesn't take up any more space than anything else, if the two images are the same physical size. (...unless you use vector graphics...)

In text, a letter is about one byte, depending on the encoding type, ASCII vs. Unicode for example. Unicode characters take more than one byte to store. Centering text in HTML for example would take however many bytes the HTML markup takes, but not more than a few bytes. HTML and XML and suchlike are good because they don't store pixel information, they store instructions (markup) whereby a computer can construct an image on the fly. In vector graphics, depending on how your format works, a letter COULD take up just one byte or so (plus whatever markup), and centering it WOULD use more space than not centering it, but the storage space in total would be a very small fraction of the size to store the same image as a static bitmap or compressed bitmap (JPEG, GIF, etc.). It's like MIDI vs. WAV or MP3. MIDI will always be a much smaller filesize than any kind of raw data encoding. Fortunately, in graphics, red is red no matter what computer you're looking at, and (some) graphics are much less complex than things like sound files, and so vector graphics often look GOOD, whereas a guitar clip is NOT a guitar clip no matter who's playing it and what kind of guitar it is etc., and so MIDI sounds BAD.

[/overly complicated answer]