PDA

View Full Version : Windows Messenger, girr

Tokki Wartooth
09-25-2004, 05:22 PM
So I got a new computer yesterday, and I was all happy and whatnot, and there is a program on it called "Windows Messenger". It's sort of like MSN except lamer. I turned my computer off last night after a fun-filled day of computing and went to bed. When I woke up the next morning, I turend it on again and went out. When I can back, I saw I had two messages from Windows Messenger, but here's the thing, I NEVER SIGNED ON TO IT. >:O Which is especially weird because it never showed up on the task manager either! So like yeah, I have MSN, so I want to delete Windows M (or at least make it so it doesn't turn on automatically when I turn on the computer), but I don't know how, so please help me.

Zifnab
09-25-2004, 08:48 PM
Well in an ideal world you could do that by going to Tools > Options > Preferences and unchecking both Run this program when Windows starts and Allow this program to run in the background. Sometimes it manages to re-check those boxes, though, so I use the "sign onto MSN before Windows Messenger does" trick.

Baloki
09-25-2004, 10:44 PM
Now this is a long process but it is possible to disable Windows Messenger.

Firstly sign into it, then make sure no boxes are ticked, and I mean none. Then sign out of it and close it down. Now goto add/remove program and goto Windows components and remove access to it. From there you need to customise notifications by right clicking on the little arrow on the start bar and setting Windows Messenger to never display.

That should disable the bugger, if you find it still signs in every so often set a proxy on it that doesn't exist and it just times out and dies, but do the long process first :D

crono_logical
09-26-2004, 11:06 AM
The non-recommended way but surefire way to physically uninstall it:

Start > Run > type:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

:monster:

Tokki Wartooth
09-26-2004, 06:06 PM
Beautiful B) thanks.