PDA

View Full Version : A world without human emotion...

White Raven
09-26-2004, 12:57 AM
In my opinion, if humans never felt happy, sad and every other emotion in between, the human species would be much better off.

A few things that would benefit the human race as a whole, IF human emotion didn't exist...
~once someone turns a certain age, they are killed
~the whole communism thing would work nicely
~races and religion would be obsolete, thus no discrimination
~no country's

Meh, I havn't put much research thought into this, but I do think aboot it a lot. I'm not saying that I'd like to not feel emotions (that's the last thing that I'd want), but I'm saying that as a species, it would be much better. Feel free to give your too cents to this thought.

Baloki
09-26-2004, 12:59 AM
Emotion drives us forward, saves our lives and gives us nothing but pain. The human race might be better off without it, but without emotions you wouldn't be able to enjoy this perfect world, so what in reality would be the point of living other then to just live?

Dr Unne
09-26-2004, 01:03 AM
"Better off" only exists because we feel emotion. Emtion is how we assign things value. A world without emotion would be a world without value: worthless. Just a bunch of robots. To say it would be better or worse, you have to be a being with emotions, judging that world from the outside, because if you were inside that would you would be unable.

Craig
09-26-2004, 01:03 AM
Without emotion we'd have no reason to live and we'd have no ambition we'd probably just sit around and die.

Baloki
09-26-2004, 01:08 AM
"Better off" only exists because we feel emotion. Emtion is how we assign things value. A world without emotion would be a world without value: worthless. Just a bunch of robots. To say it would be better or worse, you have to be a being with emotions, judging that world from the outside, because if you were inside that would you would be unable.

We are outside that world, thats why we can make such judgements.

Lon611
09-26-2004, 01:12 AM
what about LOVE???some wouldn't live without strong emotions like that *looks at self* there would also be no driving force as posted by Baloki to progress. it'd be like The Matrix.

ooh, what you're describing is a gr8 book called "The Giver". go read it or buy cliff notes or something, because it really is a nice read. :D

White Raven
09-26-2004, 01:13 AM
Hmmm...these answers are intreiging...

I'm glad that there's at least one mind riviting thread among the others here.

Baloki
09-26-2004, 01:18 AM
Hmmm...these answers are intreiging...

I'm glad that there's at least one mind riviting thread among the others here.

You really need to visit World Events and EoEo more xD

Giga Guess
09-26-2004, 01:21 AM
I disagree that we'd be better off. In bouts of dispair, it may seem like something one may want, but what about love, joy, revelling in all the little joys in life? And love? Without that, all we'd be is a bunch of rats simply reproducing endlessly. And we wouldn't kill people at an arbitrary age because we wouldn't feel any need to. They wouldn't register as anything, so they'd just be....there. Finally, fear. Without fear, we'd never survive, as fear alerts us to threats. Fear spurs us to survive.

My thoughts.

Logan
09-26-2004, 01:51 AM
Nah. I like my emotions. Even my bad ones. I'd rather have the good and the bad than nothing at all.

Doomgaze
09-26-2004, 02:04 AM
http://www.freewebs.com/equilibrium-movie/Prozium-evening.JPG

Dingo Jellybean
09-26-2004, 02:06 AM
These emotions you call sadness, love, etc. aren't human emotions. Every species has these emotions, just shown in a different way. There's some study to suggest even bacteria exhibit some sort of affection.

But I wouldn't want to live in a world without emotion. Granted in a world without emotion, there wouldn't be pain...there wouldn't be joy either...but you won't feel depressed or anything...you'd basically be a machine.

Even though my emotions aren't so high right now, I want to keep them rather than have it taken away. I sometimes feel like I need it.

Lon611
09-26-2004, 02:07 AM
And love?Without that, all we'd be is a bunch of rats simply reproducing endlessly

.....thats bad HOW?!?!?

lol, jk jk

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Peegee
09-26-2004, 02:51 AM
If everybody agreed on anything we would all get along. But emotions and 'beliefs' are two different things.

Mr. Graves
09-26-2004, 04:01 AM
I only think along the lines of 'Emotions are evil and wicked.', because they can cloud our logical judgement, as they do to everyone from time to time. Dale Carnegie wrote that we as humans are creatures of emotion, and it's true. While emotion is responsible for a whole hell of a lot of common mistakes humans make, it also makes us unique rather than just robots.

Is spite of all the bad they can to do to civility, I think we're better off with 'em in the long run.

Meat Puppet
09-26-2004, 04:29 AM
I watched a cartoon once and this kid wished he had no emotions and he started doing crazy stuff and getting girlfriends but he didn't care because he was emotionless. Then he wished for his emotions back right when he was about to jump of a volcano or something.

Baloki
09-26-2004, 04:40 AM
I watched a cartoon once and this kid wished he had no emotions and he started doing crazy stuff and getting girlfriends but he didn't care because he was emotionless. Then he wished for his emotions back right when he was about to jump of a volcano or something.

Fairly Odd Parents <3

Giga Guess
09-26-2004, 05:01 AM
.....thats bad HOW?!?!?

lol, jk jk

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Woudn't be bad, except you wouldn't be aware to the pleasure of it. You'd just be completing a function...doing a chore.

Jebus
09-26-2004, 05:07 AM
Woudn't be bad, except you wouldn't be aware to the pleasure of it. You'd just be completing a function...doing a chore.

You speak like completing functions is a bad thing.

Of course the world would be better without emotions. Emotions just complicate things and make people completely irrational. I can't think of a time in recent memory where emotions have helped me in any way. They just get in the way.

Giga Guess
09-26-2004, 05:17 AM
I've found that they allow me to truly *LIVE* rather than just exist. I wanna feel all the pain, and exhiliration life has to offer. But that's just me. I guess this comes from suppressing my emotions for god knows how many years...

Odaisé Gaelach
09-26-2004, 09:50 PM
I think that if we were all without emotion, then we would be no more than the black mages in FFIX.

Psychotic
09-26-2004, 10:41 PM
Without emotions, some people would be better off, and some would be worse off. But I think it'd be thraving dull if there weren't any. What would be the point in living without them?

Giga Guess
09-27-2004, 01:54 AM
Absolutely.

arcdragon9
09-27-2004, 02:49 AM
Baloki, I fail to see how this world is perfect. It is far from it. It can never become perfect. As long as there is emotion, you have lust, whether it's for a person, power, or a thing, and lust causes people to do heinous(sp) acts. Emotion also causes Anger which leads to all sorts of crap as well. Yes, the world is good. I thas innate beuaty in almost everything. I say almost everything, because beuaty is subjective. But anyway, as long as there is emotion, and there always will be, the world will be far from perfect. But if you believe what I do, you you believe that it will one day be made perfect, as it was when first created.

arcdragon9
09-27-2004, 02:51 AM
Hmm, my stement contradicted itself. The first part about never being able to become perfect, I mean to say by man's attempt to make it so. Sorry for the mix up, I gott start proff reading before I enter these things in.

Casey
09-27-2004, 06:35 AM
The thought of no Countries sounds like Anarchy. Mightest well die, I guess. And people with no emotions wont have an emotion as love, and there wouldnt be people reproducing off-spring.

nik0tine
09-27-2004, 07:17 AM
Without emotions, nobody would have cared, so civilization would never have started in the first place.

Shlup
09-27-2004, 08:22 AM
Without emotion we'd have no reason to live and we'd have no ambition we'd probably just sit around and die.
Yeah that. Not that we'd even be born. What would be the point of breeding?

Necronopticous
09-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Play some more installments of Final Fantasy, then you'll realize why emotions are essential to human life.