PDA

View Full Version : An action game?? Square-Enix.....I hate you!!

skatehippie
09-26-2004, 01:43 AM
An action shooter type game???

How the hell are they supposed to continue the story of the most moving and emotional RPG experience of all time with an action game????

Oh...my...god...

I am pissed. Very.

And still, how are they supposed to make a game like this that doesn't mimic Devil May Cry or a midevil Max Payne? Wow SE you've really let me down. At first, I disagreed with everyone that said they were milking the series, I figured "Nah, an RPG with Vinnie Val as the main character will be SO cool" because I knew that they wouldn't flop it by making some dumb action game, but now that we see the screens, it's obvious!

And I am effin' pissed!

And for those that say I shouldn't judge the game till it comes out, well I AM and there's nothing anyone can do to change my opinion. FFVII was a masterpiece and can ONLY be followed up by

1. An incredible CG movie
2. A RPG sequal with modern graphics and an equally moving storyline.

Action games just aren't capable of conveying a story as deep as VII's to me. Just not possible.

DAMN

Lon611
09-26-2004, 02:13 AM
i think what you're experiencing is the traditional fear/doubt of what square is cooking in the fire. lemme remind you, there are ALWAYS ppl that say the next ff is going 2 be crap, and EACH AND EVERY1 OF THEM turns out to be a masterpiece (not including the spin-off's).

but who know's, the tradition could continue and ppl could doubt DoC and then it becomes one of the gr8est games ever. who knows? :greenie:

Big D
09-26-2004, 05:40 AM
How the hell are they supposed to continue the story of the most moving and emotional RPG experience of all time with an action game????
Ever play Metal Gear Solid? It is but one example of a third-person action game that also had an extremely involved, moving plot.
There is no reason at all why DoC can't follow suit. Really, what's the difference between a third-person action game and an RPG? The differences are mainly cosmetic - how you view your character on the screen and how you engage in combat. Everything else - dialogue, cut scenes, exploration - can be more or less the same, regardless of genre.
And for those that say I shouldn't judge the game till it comes out, well I AM and there's nothing anyone can do to change my opinion.Congratulations.

nik0tine
09-26-2004, 06:25 AM
Yeah, I don't have high hopes for this game either. They made their first sequel, FFX-2, and it sucked. I imagine this will suck as well. It seems like they are just throwing things at us to buy now, without really putting in the effort to make it a great game. They give it amazing graphics and that's about it. Im dissapointed, but there still is hope that it may turn out to be a great game. They still have the potential over there and im hoping they will use it.

Lon611
09-26-2004, 07:05 AM
well, graphically i like how its turning out. i don't like that every1's thinking that DoC will be detrimental to FF :mad:

Estes
09-26-2004, 07:43 AM
After watching the trailer a few times I finally saw most of it and i think its looking good. I am actually glad they are taking a FF spinoff in a non-RPG direction. Don't get me wrong I love the traditional RPG format but I also love using my third person shooter skills and i think a 3rd person action game mixed with a FFVII story will be great. Besides it is possible to have a good story with a 3rd person game. Just as was said earlier try playing Metal Gear Solid it may make you a bit more optimistic. :choc:

Rostum
09-26-2004, 12:03 PM
I think that this game, as well as the movie sequal 'Advent Children', are a good thing to keep the game alive in the loyal fans of Final Fantasy VII. It is a great idea that they haven't made another epic role playing game, because everyone has explored the world -in the original- and these are more interesting ways to see what has happened to the world after Meteor and Holy/Lifestream fought each other.

I'm all for the RPG-Action styled game, after all it is a spin-off and not the original game they are making.

What Big D says is true - that just because it is an action styled game, it does not mean the plot and character interaction will lack and ruin the game. It is basically just the same as Final Fantasy VII, just the combat and the way you control the character is a little different.

Turk
09-26-2004, 01:22 PM
the game doesn't have to have a new storyline man, it's a ff7 thing. i think it's gonna be a good. i also think that you're going to buy it regardless.

Shoeberto
09-26-2004, 10:49 PM
I'm the exact opposite. I'm glad they're trying something new. It seems like the play mechanic fits right into the realm of FF7. I don't care about story anymore, I'm looking more at gameplay and atmosphere.

Chris
09-27-2004, 12:02 AM
The only thing I'm worried about is the music.
I mean; the kind of music that usually follows with action games are extremely repetitive and forgettable.
Best leave the music to Nobuo, he's a man with a vision...

Necronopticous
09-27-2004, 02:08 AM
Boo hoo, Square is doing something new and exciting

If you don't like the game, don't buy it. Don't whine about how much you "HATE" a company because it's not making clones of the first thing it did. Final Fantasy VII itself was innovation as well, moving to a 3d platform. Suck it up and stop whining, the game will be excellent, RPG or not.

DJZen
09-27-2004, 04:40 PM
The only thing I'm worried about is the music.
I mean; the kind of music that usually follows with action games are extremely repetitive and forgettable.

You might have heard of this game, it's called Mega Man.

aeris2001x2
09-27-2004, 06:47 PM
to be honest, i,m annoyed, but its fair enough. action games can have incrediable plot and character development (the metal gear solid and legacy of kain seris spring to mind) so the game's most important feature may well remain. As long as the gameplay is not Vagrant story bad i will probably enjoy it.

i just feel they should stick with tradition. it will lose its ffVII-ness. if they want to do diff things...fine...you have ffXIII and ffXIV to try that out. But do not change what made ffVII so godly.

EDIT- i love ffVI only a bit less then ffVII. i bet many ppl who are saying *get over it, its square trying sumthin new* to the ffVII hardcore, would be equally horrified if they released an ffVI-2 that was a action/shooter game.

chionos
09-27-2004, 07:22 PM
Actually Aeris, i'm one of the biggest ffvi fans there is, and I'd love to see an action game based on my favorite game of all time. A game based around edgar, double-fisting fully automatic cross-bows. OH yeah, that'd be killer.
The reason Square has lasted so long, and given us so many FF's is because of their ability to step beyond the borders of projects they've had in the past, and create something wholly new and original. I really don't know what you mean by "ffvii-ness." Do you mean it might lose the horrible graphics, repetitive battle system, and overly easy exp system? How horrible that would be. And you do realize that creating an rpg sequal would end up like ffx-2. Maybe a little better, b/c the game would be based on ffvii and not ffx, but still. Think about it. There would be two ways to make the game: 1. With a battle/magic/summon/weapon system completely new; and a brand new map, with new places(that coincidentally don't make sense), in which case it wouldn't be ffvii anymore.(thus no ffvii-ness) or 2. With everything the same, in which case it'd just be a ffvii clone, and not worth square's time, or mine for that matter. If that were the case, I'd rather they just remake ffvii.
I'm really excited about this new game, even though vincent never was really one of my favorite characters. I hope it overcomes all this silly whining, b/c i'd hate for it to bomb all because of the millions of idiot ffvii fans who think that squenix should revolve around them, and do their every bidding like spoiled brats. Hopefully it'll sell well, and incourage SE to give us more innovative sequals.

Necronopticous
09-27-2004, 08:47 PM
As long as the gameplay is not Vagrant story bad i will probably enjoy it.

Vagrant Story and bad do not belong in the same sentence, that doesn't even look grammatically correct to me.

aeris2001x2
09-28-2004, 05:51 AM
Actually Aeris, i'm one of the biggest ffvi fans there is, and I'd love to see an action game based on my favorite game of all time. A game based around edgar, double-fisting fully automatic cross-bows. OH yeah, that'd be killer.
The reason Square has lasted so long, and given us so many FF's is because of their ability to step beyond the borders of projects they've had in the past, and create something wholly new and original. I really don't know what you mean by "ffvii-ness." Do you mean it might lose the horrible graphics, repetitive battle system, and overly easy exp system? How horrible that would be. And you do realize that creating an rpg sequal would end up like ffx-2. Maybe a little better, b/c the game would be based on ffvii and not ffx, but still. Think about it. There would be two ways to make the game: 1. With a battle/magic/summon/weapon system completely new; and a brand new map, with new places(that coincidentally don't make sense), in which case it wouldn't be ffvii anymore.(thus no ffvii-ness) or 2. With everything the same, in which case it'd just be a ffvii clone, and not worth square's time, or mine for that matter. If that were the case, I'd rather they just remake ffvii.
I'm really excited about this new game, even though vincent never was really one of my favorite characters. I hope it overcomes all this silly whining, b/c i'd hate for it to bomb all because of the millions of idiot ffvii fans who think that squenix should revolve around them, and do their every bidding like spoiled brats. Hopefully it'll sell well, and incourage SE to give us more innovative sequals.

i mean in the same way ffX-2 lost its ffX-ness. they can change what they want...but keep the glorious battle systerm the same please.

sorry Necronopticous, but Vagrant story imho is one of the worst games i have ever played. it is a real shame too since the story was god. the greatest tragedy in Rpg history.

Craig
09-28-2004, 12:30 PM
Everytime a new FF game comes out it gets bad mouthed by a ton of people, then when it does come out it's a good game (maybe not a classic but a good game) did you ever stop to think that if we actually could judge the games that Squenix make properly then we'd be able to make games of that quality ourselves?

Ouch!
09-29-2004, 12:41 AM
I like how it was put by someone a while ago when they were talking about FFXII. Someone was upset about something like the battle system. I can't quite remember who it was, but I loved the quote, "Shame on them [Square Enix] for doing something new."

It's really all it comes down to. They may be milking the Final Fantasy VII franchise dry, but honestly, it might come out to kick major ass. I'm not a fan of shooters, first or third person, generally, but I'll give it a try. Why, because it's Final Fantasy, and KFCruelty said, they've all been good.

There hasn't been a single Final Fantasy game that isn't good. They're not all great, but they've never made a Final Fantasy game that didn't develope a constant, large fanbase.

Dirge of Cerberus will be the same.

XxSephirothxX
09-29-2004, 01:19 AM
I don't think making it an action game is neccessarily a bad thing. Square Enix spends so much time making RPGs, it's good to see them branch out every once in a while. Hopefully they'll do a good job. Vincent, in my opinion, would be better suited to an action game than to the lead man in an RPG. Maybe this will just be a solid action title with a pretty good story behind it. I mean, Advent Children might tie up enough loose ends to make a long RPG sequel work well...

skatehippie
09-29-2004, 06:26 PM
yeah you guys are right (obviously).

I was just really mad at the time when I wrote the post.

And, uh, I loved X-2...I actually love all the FF games except for Crystal Chronicles because I enjoy the experience of playing RPGs by myself...that, and I didn't have the money to fork out for SP's

Poor FFVII is sure getting raped though...but...it's got Vinnie and he's the man so I'm sure it'll kick ass anyway. *sigh*

Wanderlust
09-29-2004, 10:36 PM
I'll probably play it just because it's Final Fantasy. Just as long as it isn't anything like BloodRayne, or at least has more of a storyline, then I think it will be fine.

nevermind6794
09-30-2004, 07:55 AM
OMG I H8 SQUENIX IT SHOULD BE AN RPG, BUT THEY'RE MAKING IT RPGAY

Shut up. First people complained about the movie, but it's becoming clear that the movie will be fantastic. Now people are complaining about a game with a very underrated and underused (since he was hidden, obviously) character in a situation perfect for a dark and gloomy story with gameplay that has improved by leaps and bounds over even the last two years (did you watch that KH2 video? you can't say that Vincent doing the same thing wouldn't be sexcellent.).

There's all sorts of potential with this scenario; just sit back and watch for a little while. I always thought Vincent and Cloud were the most similar of all the FF7 characters, so this could be very fitting for a sequel.

EDIT: For the record, imagine introducing the concept of FF7 to someone who had just played FF2, or if you want to be a little more extreme, Super Mario Bros. 3, way back when those games were out. "What? That's crazy talk!" Your reproductive organs would probably have been on the receiving end of a curse, I'll tell you what.

Have a little faith.

Lord_Seymour
10-03-2004, 01:54 AM
OMG I H8 SQUENIX IT SHOULD BE AN RPG, BUT THEY'RE MAKING IT RPGAY
Hahahahahahaha.

Greevir
10-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Well, i'm trying to stay optimistic about DoC. But its so hard. I LOVE FFVII and have been waiting for a sequel. A third person shooter wasn't quite what I expected. I'm sure the story will be conveyed well... square is the best at that. I love the fact that Vincent is the lead in the game. I never personally liked using Vincent in FFVII but I did like him as a character. I like the whole dark look DoC shows right now. Well... Square-Enix... please don't let me down... I love you guys! :love:

ZeZipster
10-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Wow, people here have no respect for other peoples opinions. You guys ever stop to think they might like something you don't, or the reverse? C'mon, everyone here cannot be so arrogant. How can you sit there just mocking someones remarks, not even making an arguement, and expect this to be given any thought? You're embarking on a pointless conquest to persuade or defend your opinions in a debate that'll probably never end... I don't think I'm going to bother posting my opinions in this thread, because it's too early and I don't feel like getting flamed.

Dante WolfWood
10-03-2004, 06:15 PM
People are mad bc they think that the actual seuel about seph and cloud and the whole FF7 world is an action RPG. its NOT. This is a spinoff about vincent! hell, it might even not have anything to do with sephu or cloud! the only actual sequel I've seen so far is the advent children movie. DoC is just a Spin-off.

Cloudane
10-03-2004, 10:46 PM
It does seem odd that Square spent years afraid to do anything else based on FF7 because they didn't want to risk ruining something special or watering it down through over-milking. Then all of a sudden there are more follow-ups and merchandise than Pokemon.

However I do believe they can pull it off. I loved FFX-2 and didn't think I would even like it, so there's hope :)

One of the screenshots looks strikingly like Metal Gear Solid... it was almost as if they actually took a shot out of MGS and spliced Vincent in there on top of where Snake was. The "hide on the stairs pointing your gun at some guards blocking the door" gesture, the style of the guards and even the look of the room had MGS written all over it. If they can copy the kind of moving story it had too, they could be onto a winner.

auron_790
10-04-2004, 07:16 PM
I'm not bothered at it being an action game but 1 thing I do hope is that it has some RPG factors in it. I loved FF7 (as everyone else did) and I'm looking forward to this now, but what about Final Fantasy 12?? Should Square-Enix not be concentrating on that?? The longer it takes to come out in Japan the even longer it'll take to come out in the UK!!

Black Mage
10-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Alright, we've heard from many supporters of the game, and of FFX-2, and of FFX, and of "the recent FF games". Now, let's loan an ear to someone who's a bit more cynical.

I liked FFVII as much as the next guy, and in fact, that was probably the last FF game, if you don't count FFT, that was really good. I disliked VIII, X, X-2, and XI. IX wasn't bad, but I wouldn't consider it really good. And now that you know my opinions on the past games, I dislike the idea of making any sort of sequel to a FF game. Any sort, be it RPG, Shooter, or Movie.

Do I believe trying new things is bad? No, I don't. I'm all for it, however, there are people out there who like stability, too. That is the catch. When a company attempts to be innovative they must sacrifice, at least initially, the stability they once had. When following tradition, there is less innovation, but more stability -- it worked in the past, and still works now.

It's hard to draw the line when there is too much innovation, and too much repetition. I acknowledge that it's a fine balance, and is probably quite difficult to keep.

However, my opinions are based on my feelings, and I'm the sort of person who likes stability. After achieving stability, it's fine to innovate, as long as it stays true to its roots. That is my feeling on this matter.

Making sequels to FF games breaks that tradition, and breaking this particular tradition is something I, personally, would not do if I were running the company.

What I would rather see is taking chances with innovation in new games, as opposed to breaking other traditions to do it. If Square wanted to make an Action game, then I would rather them make a wholely original game. If Square wanted to start making direct sequels to their games, I would have them start a new series, and start doing so from there.

I understand that many of you feel differently than I do. That's fine. But I think instead of telling those of us whom are opposed to your views to be more open minded, perhaps you should be more open minded to our views.

One winged angel of death
11-01-2004, 02:30 PM
hn...i think the game is gonna make 'em millions. devil may cry sold pretty nicely so if there are a lot of vincent fans and i know there is the game will go out with a big bang. personally i think they should've made a game based on sephiroth.