PDA

View Full Version : Another complainy topic where someone whines about a game that has not been made yet!

TasteyPies
09-26-2004, 06:01 PM
The names man, the NAMES

Vaan? like....an ugly automobile?

Ashe? Gotta catch em all?

Balflear? BALFLEAR?! .....come on....

The rest of the names we have been told are good....but those 3 realy bug me. I mean BALFLEAR?

Please someone tell me they are going to change those names in translation like they did with Butz. I mean...Butz is better than Balflear.

Think about it, Balf-leer? Ball-fleer? Ba-Lifeer? Any way you say it its just bad.

You might as well call him Hergnic Fuglethorp

FFWorshiper
09-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Yes i can assume the names will be changed just like with all the other ff games. Expect the first names to be weird but they will be changed for America. No worries :cool:

m4tt
09-26-2004, 11:04 PM
What kind of name is TastyPies?

TheAbominatrix
09-26-2004, 11:37 PM
Yes i can assume the names will be changed just like with all the other ff games. Expect the first names to be weird but they will be changed for America. No worries :cool:

Very few names are changed for the American games, and not always for the better.

I think complaining about the names is very very lame, but whatever. Vaan is actually a common name among Asian families, from what I've noticed. I had a friend named Vaan in high school. Besides, it may not be pronounced 'van', it may be pronounced 'vahn/vaughn'. Ashe? What's wrong with the name Ashe? It's a completly normal name. It's my name, in fact.

Balflear will probably be changed, at least slightly, but I think it's a cool name.

Besides, this is a fantasy world. I'd rather have characters with odd, exotic names than be playing a game with Rick, Tiffany, and Bob as the main characters.

Del Murder
09-27-2004, 01:28 AM
If complaining about names is lame, than what is complaining about complaining about names? ;)

Fantasy names always bug me. I go to tga and the names people pick for their characters just astound me. Nothing wrong with names like Luke or Phil or Dirk (or Sonny!). I agree that these names are kind of lame so hopefully you can rename characters in this one.

TheAbominatrix
09-27-2004, 01:51 AM
If complaining about names is lame, than what is complaining about complaining about names? ;)

Your mother. xD

I wasnt complaining though, merely stating that I thought it was lame. Hence the 'whatever'. Then stating what I felt about the names. So hush!

edit: Also, the name 'Cloud' is the dumbest name I've heard for a badass guy. It sounds like a name for a hippie. But, because of the character, everyone accepts and seems to like this name (at least, I've never heard anyone complain about it). I dont think any FF has been devoid of weird names.

Ouch!
09-27-2004, 02:39 AM
Personally, I doubt you'll be able to change the names. In FFX they were able to pull off a script without using the main character's name. I doubt they can do a script without using any names.

TasteyPies
09-27-2004, 04:17 AM
I don't think I could relive the "Hey, new guy" of ffx

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-27-2004, 04:30 AM
I definitely liked him better when his name was Balthier.

Necronopticous
09-27-2004, 05:13 AM
I dont think any FF has been devoid of weird names.

OH! And I suppose you think Butz was a weird name???!

...wait a minute... Okay... So you're right...

kikimm
09-27-2004, 06:06 AM
I thought his name was going to be Balthier? Meh, not that big of a deal. He still looks like a total badass of a character, and that's all that matters.

Besides, these games always have, and always will be devoid of names like "Jimmy Joe" or "Billy Bob". It doesn't work.

Personally, I doubt you'll be able to change the names. In FFX they were able to pull off a script without using the main character's name. I doubt they can do a script without using any names.

Oh---they are using his name---or at least I'm pretty sure. I heard it being said in one of them` trailers.

:D

Necronopticous
09-27-2004, 08:13 AM
The day I am in control of a guy named Bob who falls in love with Bertha while saving the planet is the day I lay down the controller, pick up the revolver, and end my own life.

Maxico
09-27-2004, 03:49 PM
I disagree, BoB would make an great hero.

TheAbominatrix
09-27-2004, 05:17 PM
OH! And I suppose you think Butz was a weird name???!

...wait a minute... Okay... So you're right...

xD

iluvpenelo
09-27-2004, 07:58 PM
I think the guys name is Balthier. not balflear. thats what i got off the official site anyway, and i dunno aout you guys but i pronounce ashe "ash-a". just me, and also, if you're gonna complain about someones name in this game, complain about fran. i mean, come on. fran?? i think the wierd names make FF more interesting. Fran???

oh and what does everyone have against FFX???
I think it kicks ass!!
(i havent completed it yet so pleeeeease dont give anything away)

and also, how do you pronounce, "basch"????

Necronopticous
09-27-2004, 08:55 PM
Basch is pronounced Baw-shh, rhymes with wash.

Fran is sort of a funny name, doesn't strike me as a g-string wearing bunnywoman who hangs out with an airship pimp.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-28-2004, 02:28 AM
Fran is Algonquin for "saucy woman," so I think it fits.

Takara
09-28-2004, 08:47 AM
Hmm... Bunnies and airship pimps...

>_>

Carnage
09-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Ashe and Vaan are alright but balflear??? WTF is up with that?

Ouch!
09-29-2004, 12:24 AM
I think we've decided that it's Balthier. Balflear was one of those early translations when we first saw his pictures.

Big D
09-29-2004, 12:51 AM
I think we've decided that it's Balthier. Balflear was one of those early translations when we first saw his pictures.Yup, I'd guess it's like Zidane being called "Zitan" in some early images from the Japanese version, or Cloud being named "Claude" in the translation of the Japanese script, for FFIX and FFVII respectively.

Starcrest
09-29-2004, 03:13 AM
don't most of the names in FF mean something like, mythical or something?

iluvpenelo
09-29-2004, 03:36 PM
they usually have some sort of mythilogical refrence or folklore reference, or are part of some crazy dialect. like the names in IX have references from some countries folklore, cant remember which one, i know vivis second name means, "........." dammit i cant remember. itl come to me though

Ouch!
09-29-2004, 09:14 PM
Until we get to the stages where they begin to definitely discuss an American release date, I wouldn't be worried about the names. Even at the last second, for translation stages before they do the voice-overs they can change the name to something completely different than what we have now. I doubt that'll happen, but it's possible.

Ashton
09-29-2004, 09:33 PM
I think the names are just fine besides the names won't make the game better what I'm more worried about is the voice acting I hope it be better then FFX

iluvpenelo
09-29-2004, 10:05 PM
Yeah i havent completed X yet but some of the voiceovers were crap. like when tidus or someone would suddenly speed up to an inaudable muddle of words. i hope they do it better but id say they will, also, you cant rename the main character in this one. i saw this soldier AND balthier say "vaan" in trailers. i think that'll work better

Necronopticous
10-01-2004, 06:15 PM
Yeah i havent completed X yet but some of the voiceovers were crap. like when tidus or someone would suddenly speed up to an inaudable muddle of words. i hope they do it better but id say they will, also, you cant rename the main character in this one. i saw this soldier AND balthier say "vaan" in trailers. i think that'll work better

Yeah, this always irked me about Final Fantasy X, it's not noticable really but when you think about it... It's just pointless to let you rename him and sacrifice his name throughout the entire script, not worth it at all...

TasteyPies
10-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Speaking of the "mythical" names of ffX

Rikku = Lick

Yuna = woman who helps people bathe

Starcrest
10-02-2004, 03:10 AM
are you serious?

Ouch!
10-02-2004, 05:03 PM
I can never tell when TasteyPies is being serious or joking...

TheAbominatrix
10-02-2004, 10:36 PM
The thing about Japanese is that one word can have many different meanings, depending on how it's written and/or used. Yuna means blossom, and I think there's also a reference to a woman who assists others at the bathhouse. I dont know about Rikku, I'd look it up but the place I use is down currently.

kikimm
10-03-2004, 04:03 AM
I think that Rikku translation is correct. I know I've read that before, somewhere....if that counts for anything.

TheAbominatrix
10-03-2004, 04:05 AM
Yeah, it could be correct for one version. But like I said, words have more than one meaning. Like 'Rei' means both 'zero' and 'soul'. Completly different meanings.

Del Murder
10-03-2004, 07:09 AM
Heh, Claude.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
10-03-2004, 11:22 AM
call me sitting on the fence but atleast the name is unique...like you wouldnt find it in reality....it'll stick to your head... no? yes?

KentaRawr!
10-07-2004, 03:52 PM
OW! The name Rikku is stuck on my head!! :trout:

Lord_Seymour
10-18-2004, 05:31 PM
I've played a few games where the main character is named Vahn, but i cant say i've seen Vaan ever used before. But if has a bit of T & A i wont be complaining.

Edit: I didnt know TheAbominatrix was a chick... scary. I always thaught she was a scary man with lots of facial hair.

Wuggly Blight
10-18-2004, 07:28 PM
I wouldnt be that shocked if they atually did sneak in a horrendius rikku II

Ouch!
10-18-2004, 09:21 PM
Edit: I didnt know TheAbominatrix was a chick... scary. I always thaught she was a scary man with lots of facial hair.

XD

TheAbominatrix
10-18-2004, 09:59 PM

xDDDD omg I wish! <3

But yes, I am a womens.

Starcrest
10-19-2004, 02:37 AM
lmao wow wat ppl talk about online lol so funny

Lamia
11-01-2004, 10:57 PM
Your complaints about the names are eurocentric.

These names are not weird or stupid to the respective languages that they belong to.

Resha
11-02-2004, 11:54 AM
xDDDD omg I wish! <3

But yes, I am a womens.

Seriously??? :greenie: I always thought you were a very scary man...
*sigh sigh...goes and gets drunk*

I love the name Vaan and Ashe! Ok, maybe Balthier isn't the greatest, but hopefully the character will make the name nice, not the other way around.

Juniper Jade
11-02-2004, 08:25 PM
Aw.. I like the name Ashe! Besides.. she is soo adorable! I can get over any weird name that is given to her! She still is adorable!

SomethingBig
11-02-2004, 09:43 PM
Cloud isn't much of a name, either, but everyone loves him.

Vaan isn't pronounced "van", like you would the automobile. It's pronounced "von". Kinda like mon in monster. Vaan sounds like a medieval name, anyway, so it suits the character.

DanoruX
11-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Actually....no. It's not 'vaun'. Say it like you would imitate a german guy saying wahn, as in Wahnsinn (crazyness). And thats how you say Vaan. ^^

kikimm
11-03-2004, 10:36 PM
...that sounds almost exactly the same. Balthier says his name in one of the trailers...*searches*

Resha
11-04-2004, 10:51 AM
Vaaaan von vhen??? I'm sure we'll get to like the names once we get to know more about teh characters, yesh?!?! Ve vait.

icegoddess
11-13-2004, 03:40 AM
wasnt there a girl, who named herself after a weapon, wasnt she a princess whose orginal name was a precious stone. everyone nowadays loves little girls who are named things like emerald or diamond or katana or cutless.
actually, i was the one who came up with those names for ffxii and sent them in to be used (except for fran, i had actually written down fren, they just messed up)...you dont like them *sniff*

Dark Ekonis
11-23-2004, 02:46 PM
I think that the more bizzar the name the more it fits into a fantasy theme.

Breine
12-04-2004, 08:21 PM
As far as I think the names in Final Fantasy XII are actually pretty good. Like others have said, the Final Fantasy games take place in fantasy worlds, and therefore it is only right that the characters' names fit the game, the world and so on.

Also, there have been worse names in the Final Fantasy games. Butz, as someone else have mentioned, is kinda weird, but in a way it fits the character and that's really what is important and not if it sound cool. Also the character Vivi, from Final Fantasy IX, has a somewhat weird name to people in Denmark. The name "Vivi" is a girl's name in Denmark, but it doesn't bother me. If you ignore the fact that it's a girl's name, the name fits the character, his personality and the world of Final Fantasy IX.

Millions of people have funny, weird and strange names all around the world. No matter what you do, your name probably means something strange in another language. You can't evade such a thing.

Anyway, I actually like the name Balflear. There's something medieval-ish over it.

Raistlin
12-05-2004, 02:57 AM
Is it really that hard to use a code or whatever to input into the script whatever name you choose for the main character? They've been doing it on the freaking PS1 since the first Suikoden.

Del Murder
12-05-2004, 05:26 AM
I think the problem is with the voice acting. Getting them to pronounce customized names is difficult and wouldn't flow well with the rest of the dialogue.

Dark Ekonis
12-06-2004, 02:08 PM
Voice overs with personalized names is more difficult then what you might think, You have to make sure the pronunctuation is the same as it is spelled or else the personalized name could be butchered.

Cloudane
12-30-2004, 01:16 AM
vAHn I can handle, sounds good.

Van would be bad, think of an automobile.
Vaun would also be bad, I'd be thinking of that prat off British TV, Johnny Vaughan or however it's spelt... I have several names for him, but 'prat' and 'pillock' are the only ones that are permitted on this particular forum ;)

What about the faces? Apart from pretty-boy, the others look pretty-ugly IMO. Especially that Balthier guy, he looks like a version of Seifer that got made homeless and spent a few years in the gutter :p

rubah
12-30-2004, 03:12 AM
I liked the names they picked out, and the pronounciations I have in my head ;_;

less than three balflear. I hope they don't change it^^; although I guess balthier is almost the same phonetically, but still, it doesn't look as cool.

Balflear is way hotter than seifer. *way*.

olstar18
01-05-2005, 03:34 AM
Just to kinda prove how similar some of the words and phrases are in japanese I have two phrases mentioned in the manga hellsing that are almost exactly the same but have two completely different meanings.
anime-ka means turned into anime and ani-meka means mecha big brother. Seriously just changeing where a dash is put changes the entire thing. Course this is just the romanized version of it in normal japanese it probably has completely different symbols. (as you can guess i know very little japanese and that is only in romanized text)

TasteyPies
01-30-2005, 02:27 AM
Voice overs with personalized names is more difficult then what you might think, You have to make sure the pronunctuation is the same as it is spelled or else the personalized name could be butchered.

If my cell phone can do it so can ffXII

Croyles
02-03-2005, 11:42 PM
The guys name is Balthier which in roman is Balflear and probably called Balflear in japan.

Your cell phone is not a real person and therefore there is no situation where single syllables are recorded for each voice over actor and put together to form the recquired name.

As for the name being butchered, if they could do this, they would probably have a test name button on the character naming screen which will play the sound of the characters name by the voice actors.