PDA

View Full Version : Forgive my squirrely ignorance...

iluvpenelo
09-27-2004, 08:08 PM
Okay, im going to america soon and i plan to buy alot of ps1 games that were never released in europe. Xenogears, xenosaga, that other one everyone talks about, and basicly anything squaresoft (notice i say squaresoft, i refuse to acknowledge the existence of a company called square-enix) or final fantasy related,

so.......could someone expain to me in detail,
a)wtf is xenogears and xenosaga???

b) give a list of square ps1 rpgs that were only released in america that are worth my time and money

c) tell me where i can get a moogle :D

thanx guys

TheAbominatrix
09-27-2004, 08:57 PM
First off, dont be so biased against Enix. They came out with some amazing games in their day. And there's a lot of good RPGs made by other companies you should check out. Anyway.
a) Um... RPGs? What kind of explination do you want? Xenosaga isnt Square, it's a fun game though (too many FMVs if you ask me), and from what I remember Xenogears was only liscensed by Square, not made by them.

b) Final Fantasy Athology, Chronicles. As far as I know those're the only FF ones, aside from Tactics, not released in PAL region. I dont know which were and werent, so Im just gonna list what I can think of off the top of my head. And Im not listing only Square, cause that's silly. Breath of Fire III and IV, Star Ocean 2, Wild ARMs 1 and 2... hm... that's all I can think of, I think.

c) They live on the moon.

Necronopticous
09-27-2004, 10:19 PM
I don't know what games were released in Europe but I would suggest the following: Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy (insert extension here), Einhander (good luck finding it), Chocobo Racing (this one too), Chrono Cross...

Wait a minute, this is pointless, I'll just list every game they released... (Except Tobal #1)

Anyway, I think where I can be more helpful is your other question: wtf is Xenogears?

Xenogears is a very very very good and very very very long RPG that is about as controversial as it is confusing. You're in for one hell of a story that will have your mind flipping around 5 different directions at once. The game starts out with a beautiful anime FMV of a star wars looking ship crashlanding on a planet, and then the game will begin, and you'll never even get reference to this scene until 50 hours of gameplay later. The story is incredible once it all starts coming clear, and it's probably even more complex than FFVII's story (many people don't realize how complex FFVII was because they only grasp that Sephiroth had a big sword, the end.) It's a wonderful game..

Okay time for class, holy crap I really gotta go, I'll continue later bye!

Shoeberto
09-28-2004, 02:48 AM
Xenogears is freaking amazing, by the way. If you can find a copy of it, get it. I'm glad I did when I had the chance.

The story is crazy. It's very, very theatrical - very few FMVs, but since all of the locations are full 3D, there are some awesome camera moves and stuff that just makes it perfect. The battles are great - on-foot are based on button combinations and AP, where in-gear (mechs or giant robots) the buttons combos are based on how much fuel you have, and you deal more damage.

Awesome awesome awesome game. Super-rad game.

iluvpenelo
09-28-2004, 08:11 PM
okay, thanx guys so could someone explain what xenosaga is???
i knew it wasnt made by square but i dont know anything ELSE about it. like, is it a sequel from xenogears or a prequel or a totally different game all together. i have the following american games : Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy IV, Chrono Trigger, Vagrant Story.

no one knows where i can buy a moogle????

oh and to abominatrix, you have your opinion on enix, and i have mine

TheAbominatrix
09-28-2004, 08:15 PM
Why is your opinion like it is? Have you ever played any Enix games? Or is it just because they dared to merge with Square?

iluvpenelo
09-28-2004, 08:24 PM
i dont like fighting with ppl on the other forums i post on, and i dont want to here either. i dont like the way they merged with square, and i dont know alot about alot of their games. but what i have played and heard about, i didnt like. also, if you want proof that the merger was bad for square,.....X-2. Now i cant defend that becoz i myself havent played X-2 yet, im still playing X. but every one i know who likes FF sez that X-2 was complete crap. coincidence??

TheAbominatrix
09-28-2004, 08:39 PM
Im not trying to fight with you, I'm merely curious.

Enix had little to do with X-2. That was already in the works at the time of the merger. Square has put out a lot of really bad games in it's time, before Enix came anywhere near them.

You may wanna drop the bias to at least play Star Ocean 2, which is one of the best RPGs I've ever played (including all those in the FF series). I just think it's silly to refuse to play a game by a certain company. There are a lot of awesome games out there by different companies, and a lot of bad ones from Square.

Shoeberto
09-28-2004, 08:47 PM
SO2 is a bit of an aquired taste, I think. The AI in the battles for your team kind of irritates me...which is why I've never played through all the way.

Xenosaga is NOT by Square, it's from Namco. It's a very cinematic game - lots of story and cutscenes and such. The gameplay is sort of modelled after Xenogears, though tweaked around a bit. It wasn't as enjoyable for me as Xenogears was, but it was still worth playing through - the story and characters are very intriguing [sic]. I can't explain the story too much, since not that's much explained the game itself (it's part one of a planned seven-part series.) You characters are really customizeable, which is pretty nice. The maps are a little bland, and the music is on the scarce size (get used to the hum of electricity that plays during most of the areas you go to), but still good. But yeah...doesn't one-up Xenogears. I'd recommend playing it after playing Gears, if possible. I think it's easier to appreciate what they're doing if you do.

TheAbominatrix
09-28-2004, 09:08 PM
Yeah, the AI is annoying. But it's got a stellar story and tons of character interaction. I love that you can control how much your character gets along with another and, in the end, create/destroy romantic relationships. It's nice.

Flying Mullet
09-28-2004, 09:12 PM
One thing you might want to check out is if your American bought games will play on your PAL version system. Otherwise you'll need to buy the system when you're in America too.

iluvpenelo
09-28-2004, 09:38 PM
yeah i have that problem solved. ive completed chrono cross, i have this disc thing that allows you to play imported/copied discs.

and abominatrix, you're right, but i didnt say i was refusing to play the square enix games, i just said i didnt like the whole idea behind the merger. its just me, i have issues. il get over them. and yes, i know squaresoft made its fair share of stinkers. can anyone say parasite eve???