PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd mildly annoys me.

fire_of_avalon
09-28-2004, 03:06 AM
Yes, I know how that makes you feel about me. The beatings will commence later.

Anyhow, what's a band, an actor/actress, a film or any other form of artist that many people fully expect you to love, but you're pretty irritated by? The typical modern pop culture references need not be mentioned, find something deeper.

And in my defense, Pink Floyd only mildly annoys me, and it's not all the time. Please don't hurt me.

Shoeberto
09-28-2004, 03:09 AM
YARGH
U MUST DIE

Uh. Any bands that have become popular in the pop-punk movement of the past couple years, because they think they're being cool but they really just look and sound stupid. Yah.

Yamaneko
09-28-2004, 03:22 AM
I think a lot of people don't like the Floyd. Now, whether they genuinely don't like their music or just say they don't like them because it's the "cool" thing to do, well... I have my theories. :)

I don't know what pop culture icon(s) people expect me to like, but that piss me off. Probably a lot.

Moose Knight
09-28-2004, 03:26 AM
I too find Pink Floyd annoying. I keep hearing things like "David Gilmore is the best guitarist" or "They are the best band ever." Either it just so happens that every song I've heard is a crappy one, or that they really do suck. I've heard, The Wall (Entire album, extremely unimpressive) and Money, which is HORRIBLE MUSIC.

I think David Gilmore is very, very overrated.

fire_of_avalon
09-28-2004, 03:57 AM
I was under the impression that Pink Floyd was cool and I was a dumb nerd. Wow, I've never been cool before. :cool:

I think maybe I agree more with Moose Knight in the idea that I just think they're kind of over-rated. But we've already had that thread, so I want to move onto to things that annoy us.

Hsu is right. The whole pretend punk thing hurts my feelings. It's easy to spout off names of bands that are your influences; but when not one of your songs EVER has even the slightest hint of being influenced by any of the names you mentioned... well.

kikimm
09-28-2004, 04:17 AM
The Beatles. Yes, yes, I'm loading my gun right now, no need. I'm aware of the impact that they've had on music today, and I'm....grateful? But I just don't like their music, or them, really. *shrug*

That's the only thing I can come up with at the moment. I'll get back to you on that.

:D

Big D
09-28-2004, 05:06 AM
The Darkness.

Problem is, if you dare to say that you don't like them, then a horde of bloodthirsty adolescents lambaste you with "OMG u just have no sense of irony! They are the future of rock and roll! They are uniquely magnificent because they represent an ironic, sarcastic counter-cultural backlash against the prevailing dominance of vacuous hedonism in today's entertainment industry! U r stupid because you don't see that!"

I see that; I just don't like their music.

I have nothing against the Darkness or their fans, only the attitude that the more rabid fans adopt whenever someone disagrees with them.

Calliope
09-28-2004, 05:53 AM
Not only do I genuinely dislike Pink Floyd, but I'm also not really terribly fond of Pearl Jam :D

krissy
09-28-2004, 05:57 AM
I'm also not really terribly fond of Pearl Jam :D

word up sista

sorry bren :{

Calliope
09-28-2004, 05:58 AM
Yeah Tsunami, I feel guilty too ;_;

Del Murder
09-28-2004, 06:01 AM
I think they are pretty good, myself.

Yamaneko
09-28-2004, 06:16 AM
Radiohead mildly annoys me. There, I said it.

Erdrick Holmes
09-28-2004, 06:26 AM
I'm more of a Queen fan then a Floyd fan.

Yamaneko
09-28-2004, 06:32 AM
Queen annoys me too.

escobert
09-28-2004, 06:57 AM
most of the new pop punk bands and most new rap. I dont mind Pink Floyd much but I don't listen to them a lot. Can't really think of any other bands off the top of my head but I will later.

Erdrick Holmes
09-28-2004, 07:13 AM
Queen annoys me too.

Freddy Mercury 4 lyfe boyo.

Heartless
09-28-2004, 08:52 AM
I'm more of a Queen fan then a Floyd fan.

Burtsplurt
09-28-2004, 09:12 AM
All of the above. :)

nik0tine
09-28-2004, 09:20 AM
For some reason, Bach used to slightly annoy me. However, I now love him.

I can't stand alot of classic rock. Now listen to this... I cannot STAND AC/DC The vocals are HORRIBLE! Same with guns'n'roses. Axl has a terrible voice and he ruins the band. I also cannot stand Van Halen. Sure I respect his AWESOME proficiency with the guitar, but his music just plain sucks.
Yes, now I also have a reason to say "Don't Hurt me"

escobert
09-28-2004, 09:22 AM
I agree with the AC/DC but I do enjoy GnR and Van Halen is ok. :p imo

stesia
09-28-2004, 12:08 PM
coldplay annoy me slightly i dont like the sound of his voice

Levian
09-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Radiohead mildly annoys me. There, I said it.

What he said.

Erdrick Holmes
09-28-2004, 04:39 PM
Any music made after the year 1999 kinda annoys me.

Cz
09-28-2004, 05:10 PM
While I enjoy the Strokes' music, I do find that people often give them more praise then they deserve, and that can be just as irritating as not liking a band at all.

Same goes for The Libertines. They're a fairly good group, but when their talent is blown out of all proportion it's difficult to call yourself a fan, lest you be associated with screaming fanboy hordes.

And I'm not too fond of Radiohead, either. :D

Promise
09-28-2004, 05:10 PM
I'm also not really terribly fond of Pearl Jam :D

:confused:

Hoobastank. Lord, they suck. Radiohead is up there, too.

Erdrick Holmes
09-28-2004, 09:39 PM
While I enjoy the Strokes' music.

Must... resist... perverted... comment.

Carnage
09-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Hey teacher!
Leave them kids alone!

I hate all pop stars they make millions off of zero talent. People like hilary duff really piss me off. My cat has more talent then that stupid bitch.

Erdrick Holmes
09-28-2004, 10:10 PM
I hate all pop stars they make millions off of zero talent. People like hilary duff really piss me off. My cat has more talent then that stupid bitch.

Ansem needs to read that. Seriously.

Kirobaito
09-30-2004, 05:06 AM
Every single popular artist of today or yesterday except John Denver and country music. I'm all like "I think that Pink Floyd is extremely overrated" to Jebus, that their music is pointless and the lyrics are just dumb, and he's all like "DIE" and I'm like "JD TILL I DIE" and he's like "OMG CLASSIC ROCK R TEH AWESOME" and I'm like "CLASSIC COUNTRY R TEH AWESOME" and then we fence.

Doomgaze
09-30-2004, 05:14 AM
INFIDELS

re: Pearl Jam
man, I hate Eddie Vedder.

-N-
09-30-2004, 05:25 AM
Every single popular artist of today or yesterday except John Denver and country music. I'm all like "I think that Pink Floyd is extremely overrated" to Jebus, that their music is pointless and the lyrics are just dumb, and he's all like "DIE" and I'm like "JD TILL I DIE" and he's like "OMG CLASSIC ROCK R TEH AWESOME" and I'm like "CLASSIC COUNTRY R TEH AWESOME" and then we fence.
Who wins?

escobert
09-30-2004, 05:55 AM
Who wins?
I do :D

eestlinc
09-30-2004, 06:34 AM
Eddie Vedder is cool. Pearl Jam is high quality. My opinion counts more than yours because I have a music degree. I hope you all die.

I like Pink Floyd. They got a bit goofy but they did some great stuff. I was listening to Wish You Were Here tonight. Good stuff.

I really don't like the Beatles, though. Or the Rolling Stones. Or Blur or Oasis. :D

Yamaneko
09-30-2004, 06:38 AM
The Floyd did produce albums lacking quality after Waters left, but in no way are they horrible attempts at making music. <i>The Division Bell</i> isn't half bad. Plus, not many bands can say that they produced four perfect albums (Dark Side, WYWH, Animals, The Wall).

eestlinc
09-30-2004, 06:41 AM
Radiohead has produced two. Pearl Jam produced two or three (at least to me). Yea, four is pretty good. If you think all four are perfect.

did you trade a walk-on part in the war for a lstarring role in a cage?

Doomgaze
09-30-2004, 07:23 AM
5, Meddle >=[

actually, Animals is a bit iffy.

eest - yeah, Pearl Jam's good, but Eddie Vedder just annoys me for some reason. Temple of the Dog was much better than Pearl Jam, anyway.

And I don't get how you could possibly not like the Beatles. Especially, say, Rubber Soul and later. Yeah, their early stuff wasn't very good, but...

Yamaneko
09-30-2004, 07:30 AM
The Beatles were only good because they mainstreamed Rock (or maybe that's a bad thing), and they had a few good songs. The Rolling Stones were only good because they portrayed the first "bad guys" of Rock, and they had a few good songs.

I have nothing against Pearl Jam. They know how to play.

Meddle had some iffy tracks (San Tropez, Seamus).

Miriel
09-30-2004, 07:34 AM
Citizen Kane

Just watched it for like the 10th time in Film class and I still don't get why people consider this movie to be a masterpiece. It's a good movie, and some of the technical aspects of the movie are brilliant, but best movie of all time? Hardly.

Zell's Fists of Fury
09-30-2004, 08:26 PM
AC/DC annoys the hell out of me. I love it when ALice Cooper makes fun of them on his radio show. Them and Rush. Love it.

Moose Knight
09-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Citizen Kane

Just watched it for like the 10th time in Film class and I still don't get why people consider this movie to be a masterpiece. It's a good movie, and some of the technical aspects of the movie are brilliant, but best movie of all time? Hardly.

You lose. This movie rules because it has Orson Welles, the biggest hero of all time.

Slacker
09-30-2004, 10:47 PM
I love Pink Floyd. But I'm not going to flame you.

I can't stand any of the 'new' music. It all... Well... Sucks. Especially Nickelback. And Story of the Year. And Good Charlotte. And The Used. I'd continue, but I have other things to do other then type every new band on my computer.

As for Meddle being perfect, I don't think so. Echoes, while it is a great song, the lyrics seems to lack the deep meaning that the Floyd is known for. However, I will give you that the album preludes the musical greatness to come.

Miriel
09-30-2004, 10:52 PM
You lose. This movie rules because it has Orson Welles, the biggest hero of all time.

I lose what?

I'm not denying that this movie is incredibly well made, there's a reason every film class in the world studies this movie. It's an artistic masterpiece and basically forced people to re-think how they made movies. Doesn't mean it's a flawless film. I never connected with the characters, and I found it to be tedious and simply put, boring.

Jebus
10-01-2004, 12:10 AM
5, Meddle >=[

actually, Animals is a bit iffy.

eest - yeah, Pearl Jam's good, but Eddie Vedder just annoys me for some reason. Temple of the Dog was much better than Pearl Jam, anyway.

And I don't get how you could possibly not like the Beatles. Especially, say, Rubber Soul and later. Yeah, their early stuff wasn't very good, but...

Doom is my hero.

Anyway, The Darkness annoy the hell out of me. And my friend thinks that I secretly like them and I'm just badmouthing them. No. They really do suck and they piss me off.

Lindy
10-01-2004, 12:48 AM
I hate everything, ever. =(

Aurey
10-01-2004, 01:21 AM
I agree with AC/DC being annoying. Though, I can't say that around the people I know in real life because if I did, in a matter of seconds my head would no longer be attached to my body. After hearing some Pink Floyd songs, I knew they weren't meant to be listened to by me, I don't know.. I guess I just couldn't get in to them.

I can't stand metal, hair metal, or any of the rap groups who never rap about anything interesting.

It's awful.

Doomgaze
10-01-2004, 05:33 AM
I would really like AC/DC but the classic rock station here plays them pretty much nonstop, so I'm sick of them.

Yams: Yeah, but Echoes makes it all worth it.

The Darkness was amusing for awhile, but the gimmick gets old quickly.

LH
10-01-2004, 06:22 PM
What I really detest is the whole Phantom Planet/Strokes/Franz Ferdinand/Hives/Modest Mouse type of music. I guess they've invented a genre all their own, one I like to call "I-wish-I-made-music-in-the-70's-wait-no-I-don't-because-my-band-is-not-half-as-talented-as-even-the-worst-music-to-come-from-that-era." Two exceptions are the Vines and Jet, because Jet sounds much like AC/DC, you could even call them a blatant rip-off, but at least in their pretending to be someone else they're making good music.

Any band that takes a random word and then throws a number after it immediately gets zero respect from me and I give them no chance to ever listen to their music. (Sum 41 is an exception, and I think there was a reason for their name... but I can't remember it) I don't really care for the pop-punk movement featuring such original and ground-breaking (sarcasm plz) artists as Newfound Glory and Simple Plan, but that goes without saying. Exception being Yellowcard (their two hits so far are both very catchy) and Story of the Year, who I honestly don't think fits in a category with NFG and that other crap, but people insist on considering the two identical. Blink 182 has some great songs in their catalog, but nothing worth buying an entire CD for. I exempt them from the whole "look I'm a number band too" thing because I believe they were the first to do it, or they were at least the first to catch my attention.

Alice Cooper is just jealous because AC/DC is better.

And I've found Pink Floyd to be pretty good, but I don't understand (and am slightly irritated by) teenager's and early 20-somethings obsession with them. Same for Led Zeppelin.

Moose Knight
10-04-2004, 11:59 PM
I lose what?

I'm not denying that this movie is incredibly well made, there's a reason every film class in the world studies this movie. It's an artistic masterpiece and basically forced people to re-think how they made movies. Doesn't mean it's a flawless film. I never connected with the characters, and I found it to be tedious and simply put, boring.

You lose at life. Orson Welles is a true hero, right up there with Stenka Razin and all the other people who kick ass. Since you fail to recognize this, I win and you lose.

Sephex
10-05-2004, 03:51 AM
Linkin Park mildly annoys me. I don't understand why that band has such a huge following for being so unoriginal.

Miriel
10-05-2004, 04:33 AM
You lose at life. Orson Welles is a true hero, right up there with Stenka Razin and all the other people who kick ass. Since you fail to recognize this, I win and you lose.

If you'd read my posts you would see that I was talking about Citizen Kane the movie, not Orseon Welles the person. It's possible to admire the man behind the movie, but not the movie itself.