PDA

View Full Version : Things you wish you could live without....

Doc Sark
09-28-2004, 04:41 PM
....I wish I could live without sleeping. I would be able to achieve so much more in a day if I didn't have to spend 8 hours doing absolutely nothing.

DMKA
09-28-2004, 04:48 PM
....I wish I could live without sleeping. I would be able to achieve so much more in a day if I didn't have to spend 8 hours doing absolutely nothing.
YES! I wish soooo much that I could live without sleep. :mad:

Promise
09-28-2004, 04:52 PM
Blinking. Whenever I do, I feel like I missed something.

Jack
09-28-2004, 04:53 PM

Have to agree, sleep is a waste of time and it always makes me even more morose.

Misfit
09-28-2004, 05:05 PM
I, too, agree with you. @_@

Cz
09-28-2004, 05:17 PM
Absolutely. Sleep is a perfectly good waste of 6-10 hours. In effect, that's a quarter of your life utterly wasted. Sleep sucks. :mad:

fire_of_avalon
09-28-2004, 05:26 PM
I COULD LIVE WITHOUT ALL OF YOU KNOCKING SLEEP!

That being said... I wish I could live without food sometimes. I like food, don't get me wrong, but have you ever been at home and just couldn't decide what to eat? Yeah, it's hell.

Yamaneko
09-28-2004, 05:33 PM
I wish I could live without money.

Ancient Goddess
09-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Sleeping is wonderful...you have a good reason for ignoring some of your friends that call at 5 AM in the morning, asking you stupid questions. And the invigorating feeling afterwards is quite euphoric. ^^

Actually, I wish I could live without money as well...You the more you have, the more people tend to hate you. And being broke sucks. It creates problems with the economy, society, family...well, let's just say it creates a lot of issues.

Erdrick Holmes
09-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Sleep (dispite the little amount of it I get)
Pizza rolls
Fighting games
Sweet stuff to drink.

Leeza
09-28-2004, 05:55 PM
Sleep. Definitely the #1 waster of time.
Food. One bite is never enough.
Computer. #2 waster of time.
Love. Is it more trouble than it's worth?
Money. Any form of happiness at all seems to require at least some of it.

Cz
09-28-2004, 05:56 PM
And the invigorating feeling afterwards is quite euphoric. ^^
To be honest, I wake up feeling more tired than went I went to bed. In fact, waking up is often the worst part of my day. Invigorating? Lucky you. :)

Psychotic
09-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Blood. Then I wouldn't be a target for vampires. Also my brain. Zombies want that. It's a good brain. No really, it is! Could an average brain come up with such advanced theories in astro-quantum-nuclear-physics as:

Giant Square + Orange Peel x the height of a hat named MARCO = Dolphin Bonanza!

No wonder I'm an A-Grade student :cool:

gokufusionss1
09-28-2004, 05:59 PM

nah i went three days without sleep all i did was play pro evolution and watch poor quality late night tv.....oh and i built a pyramid out of beer cans. nothing constructive was done.

DMKA
09-28-2004, 06:04 PM
I COULD LIVE WITHOUT ALL OF YOU KNOCKING SLEEP!
So in other words you can't live without it? O_o

Promise
09-28-2004, 06:29 PM
See, he didn't say "wish," so, yea, he can.

;\ sorry if that was pointless.

Peegee
09-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Money

Lord Chainsaw
09-28-2004, 07:20 PM
I'm one who enjoys sleep. I don't see it as a waste of time. I see it as a relaxing and pleasurable experience. Ain't nothing better than falling asleep after an exhausting day and dreaming up a storm. It's the waking up I don't particularly care for. But then again, once you're up, you're up.

Necronopticous
09-28-2004, 07:32 PM
Hate, Social Science classes, Final Fantasy VII "fans", Enix, drugs, war, dying, religion, pickles, consumption of fish, gangs, idiots, rapists, junkies, tartar sauce, taco bell, my stepfather, AOL, the RIAA, proprietary software, the "goto" statement in C++, people who put the openbracket on the same line as their condition in a loop (eg. for (int i=0; i==5; i++) {), President George W. Bush, "jumping on the bandwagon", death metal, moniter resolutions lower than 1024x768, BIC pencils/pens, dust, pedophilia, trackballs, non-optical mice, bugs (physical and technological), "psychics" + people that believe in them (see idiots for more detail), Las Vegas, pre-marital sex, getting punched in the face, body hair et.al, females with breast implants, males with breast implants, makeup, tattoos, piercings, people who don't play video games, dairy products, bleu cheese, dark highlighters, energy drinks, hentai, "Windows" buttons on keyboards, my boss getting back while I'm typing all the things I could live without while I'm supposed to be working.... uuhh gotta go

DMKA
09-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Hate, Social Science classes, Final Fantasy VII "fans", Enix, drugs, war, dying, religion, pickles, consumption of fish, gangs, idiots, rapists, junkies, tartar sauce, taco bell, my stepfather, AOL, the RIAA, proprietary software, the "goto" statement in C++, people who put the openbracket on the same line as their condition in a loop (eg. for (int i=0; i==5; i++) {), President George W. Bush, "jumping on the bandwagon", death metal, moniter resolutions lower than 1024x768, BIC pencils/pens, dust, pedophilia, trackballs, non-optical mice, bugs (physical and technological), "psychics" + people that believe in them (see idiots for more detail), Las Vegas, pre-marital sex, getting punched in the face, body hair et.al, females with breast implants, males with breast implants, makeup, tattoos, piercings, people who don't play video games, dairy products, bleu cheese, dark highlighters, energy drinks, hentai, "Windows" buttons on keyboards, my boss getting back while I'm typing all the things I could live without while I'm supposed to be working.... uuhh gotta go
Oh, I thought we were just talking about stuff like sleep, food, water, oxygen, ect.

And you can live without all those things...you just don't, I assume. I personally would hate a world without most of what you listed though. :D

Baloki
09-28-2004, 08:16 PM
I wish I didn't have to live with living

Envy
09-28-2004, 08:44 PM
schooooooooool o_o;

it's too long. D: booo.

Optium
09-28-2004, 09:03 PM
TO THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE SAID "SLEEPING"

Your problem is not sleep, it is that you are not making use of your sleep.
Sleep is not the most wasteful part of the day but rather the most
important. It's all about dreams. The key is to get enough sleep that you
can remember your dreams, and then overcome your laziness and write
down your dreams. If you are able to do this I can nearly guarantee that
your life will be richer, more exciting, and simply...better.

Many people fight sleep. They say that the less sleep they get, the more
they will accomplish. This is not only false, but it is opposite of the truth.
If you are able to remember your dreams then you will be able to plan them
and eventually even control them, MAKING them extremely useful. Rather
than complaining about how sleep is bad, make sleep work for you.

.opt

Levian
09-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Heh, I find it amusing how only one of you has listed computer/video games. Man, I wish I could live without it, but I usually turn to these machines when I'm bored.. I wish I was born half a century sooner or something.

fire_of_avalon
09-28-2004, 09:30 PM
So in other words you can't live without it? O_o
No. I CAN live without it. Which means I CAN'T live with it. *throws you off a skyscraper and onto a big fluffy elephant*

Ultima Shadow
09-28-2004, 09:40 PM
I wish I could live without money.
I have to agree with that one.

Cz
09-28-2004, 09:53 PM
TO THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE SAID "SLEEPING"

Your problem is not sleep, it is that you are not making use of your sleep.
Sleep is not the most wasteful part of the day but rather the most
important. It's all about dreams. The key is to get enough sleep that you
can remember your dreams, and then overcome your laziness and write
down your dreams. If you are able to do this I can nearly guarantee that
your life will be richer, more exciting, and simply...better.

Many people fight sleep. They say that the less sleep they get, the more
they will accomplish. This is not only false, but it is opposite of the truth.
If you are able to remember your dreams then you will be able to plan them
and eventually even control them, MAKING them extremely useful. Rather
than complaining about how sleep is bad, make sleep work for you.

.opt
Or I could stay awake and control what I do anyway. I can see your point, but I'd rather spend 24 hours in reality, to be honest.

Optium
09-28-2004, 10:06 PM
You can find many solutions and answers in dreams. Consciousness is
made out to be more important than an altered state such as dreaming,
when in fact many of the greatest breakthroughs in liturature, art, music,
science, and technology have come about through dreams. Imagine now
if every person on earth were to use dreams to their advantage and to
remember and write down every dream they have. A new breakthrough in
civilization? Probably a good chance.

But to go back to the problem solving I mentioned before, not only are
dreams meant to solve problems (ie. to release stress, store information,
etc) but you can solve problems yourself. Let's say you can't find your
favorite hat. You think as you're going to sleep "I will find my hat, I will
find my hat..." In your dream you can't find your hat. You think "Where
was I last wearing it?"...."IN THE CAR!!" You wake up and there it is.
This case is a good example of the mind's amazing capacity to remember
EVERYTHING that has ever happened. Everything you have ever picked
up with any one of your senses is stored in your brain, it's all a matter
of bringing the information back. This can be done much more easily in
an altered state of consciousness (such as hypnotism or in this case:
dreaming).

If I have in some way turned you on to the possiblity that rather than
dreading sleep you can make use of it, you should definitely check out
the book Creative Dreaming by Patricia Garfield, Ph. D. On the back of
the book it lists a few things, I'll throw it on here in case anyone is
curious at all.

CREATIVE DREAMERS WILL BE ABLE TO:

Increase the ability to concentrate and recall
Build a capacity for coping with fear-producing dream situations that carry over into the waking state
Experience pleasurable adventures in dreams
Achieve self-understanding
Define and unify a unique personality
Find support and help for waking problems
Produce things of usefulness and beauty, for self-expression and for enrichment of the world

.opt

Peegee
09-28-2004, 10:14 PM
Following the theory that sleep allows the mind to recharge, you don't need sleep if you are capable of 'recharging' while being 'conscious'.

Saying you don't want to live with sleep merely means that you wish you could regenerate your mind's rigor quickly enough that you don't need to reach certain levels of unconsciousness (and for an extended period of time too). Yay!

As for dreams, what about day-dreaming?

Optium
09-28-2004, 10:17 PM
Do you really think daydreams are the same thing as dreams?

.opt

Cz
09-28-2004, 10:24 PM
While it does seem an intruiging subject and an interesting read, the fact remains that given the choice, I wouldn't give up 8 hours a day, dreams or no dreams. Time is a precious commodity, and its sad that we spend so little of it doing what we enjoy. That's why I'd like to give up sleep, not because I dread it in any way.

However, seeing as I don't have that choice, I'll be sure to take a look at Creative Dreaming if I ever get the chance. Thanks for the info.

Optium
09-28-2004, 10:36 PM
All I'm saying is that life is much better when you're able to remember and
think about your dreams, nevermind control them.

Here's my day before realizing these things:
crawl out of bed. get dressed. go to bus stop. sit on bus for 45 minutes.
classes. lunch. classes. bus. homework. dinner. homework. bed. crawl
out of bed...and on...

My day after:
get up feeling refreshed. get dressed. go to bus stop. sit on bus for 45
minutes. classes. lunch. classes. bus. homework. dinner. homework. bed.
magical journey in which I make love to the most beautiful woman I have
ever seen in my life while flying, travel to Tibet and learn the secret of
"mental heat," come under siege by a group of pirates and defeat them
with a goku-like staff...from the original dragon ball...I can make the staff
extend to any length I want, turn into Auron and have a showdown with
my enemy in which I realize that while he is not my enemy and truly
society and the state of the world is the only enemy but I must still
defeat him and after an AWESOME sword fight I defeat him and walk
into the distance to die of my wounds, then turn back into myself, turn
off my PS2 and think "Holy crap that's the best game I've ever played".
wake up feeling refreshed...and on...........

(These things are based on actual dreams, the FF one was amazing)

.opt

Necronopticous
09-29-2004, 04:12 AM
Optium, I'm interested in your fascination with dreams. I too am fascinated with them, or maybe, fascinated with anything that I find beautiful, which pretty much is anything. I'd like to talk to you about dreams sometime.

Ouch!
09-29-2004, 04:31 AM
Sleep is good. REM sleep is even better. Dreaming in your REM status keeps you seen. They did a test on cats (sorry Leeza) where they did not allow the cats to achieve REM status every time they slept. This way, they got enough sleep to have energy during the day, but they slowly went insane. By the end of the project the cats were literally tearing each other apart.

If any of you watched the last Bond movie, the bad guy mentioned it when he went into his dream machine.

Speaking of REM sleep, REM, the band, kicks ass. Losing my Religion is a freakin' awesome song.

Aside from that I could live without most all of the stuff Necronopticus said except:
Hate, Enix, idiots, Taco Bell, BIC pencils/pens, pre-marital sex, piercings, and people who don't play video games.

1. I wouldn't be half the football fan that I am if I didn't absolutely loathe the Rams.

2. Enix has some good stuff out there, you're just a Square freak.

3. Idiots are amusing, enough said.

4. I'm full!

5. BIC pencils/pens are what keep me going through the school year.

6. Pre-marital sex doesn't bother me, it's someone's choice.

7. Some piercings are hot, like belly button piercings. Ear piercings are so standard, I barely notice.

8. People who don't play video games either spend their life doing other things, or they actually have a life.

Logan
09-29-2004, 04:32 AM
Sleeping is what I look forward to! :love: And I LOVE remembering my dreams, and I always feel weird when I can't remember them. Like this morning...I couldn't remember ;__;

I wish I could live without eating. It'd be easier to always feel energetic without eating. :D

Giga Guess
09-29-2004, 05:36 AM
I'm gonna be a rebel here, and say oxygen. Oxygen being consumed in your body will create Free Radicals, which cause the aging process, as well as cancer (The free radicals mutate DNA, which in turn causes cancer.) So ultimately, assuming metabolism is executed in a different method, an oxygen free life would more or less equate to eternal youth. However, I will concede that this is a highly simplified way of presenting this, too...

Casey
09-29-2004, 06:36 AM
I'd probably go insane without sleep. I wish people could live with out all the bad diseases and such through out the world.

Cz
09-29-2004, 05:41 PM
Ironically, all this talk about sleep kept me awake all night theorizing about dreams. :D

Baloki
09-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Sleeping is what I look forward to! :love: And I LOVE remembering my dreams, and I always feel weird when I can't remember them. Like this morning...I couldn't remember ;__;

I remember my dreams and it scares me... ;_;

Samuraid
09-30-2004, 04:19 AM
I wish I could live without having to take english-346 university classes with stinking essays that I should be writing right now, but am not! :mad: :D