PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Rule

Ouch!
09-29-2004, 02:36 AM
"If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it," it's the phrase many of us have had hammered into our head since we were old enough to understand what it meant. The other golden rule, "Treat others as you wish to be treated," and that's just as important.

Recently, as I'm posting, I find myself typing something long, and generally really, really mean and then I just click the "Eyes on Final Fantasy Forums" link and boot out of there.

Then again, while having conversations face to face, by the time I start talking I can't say, "Backspace! Backspace!" and expect everyone else to go on like normal.

What about you. Do you find yourself to be more respectful or more disrespectful on the internet. Are there things that you'd say to people online, who you don't know and are complete strangers, that you would never say to anyone face to face, even close friends and all that stuff?

Del Murder
09-29-2004, 02:42 AM
Yeah, being able to delete your words before you say them is a great benefit. I wish more people followed this rule, a lot of spiteful things get said for no reason. What's the point of being rude or insulting someone? Does it make you feel better about yourself? In that case just pretend you said it and let people have their joy. Why go out of your way to make someone unhappy? Luckily for me I have the power to erase it whenever I see it. Here, at least.

Garland
09-29-2004, 02:44 AM
The Golden Rule isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's fine to say "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", but whenever it's time to "Do unto others as they have done unto you", (clearly the better part of the bargain) you get the "Two wrongs don't make a right". I say, "You can't have your cake and eat it too". I get in trouble now and then for speaking too bluntly, both at home, work, and online. It never matters that the person had it coming.

Yamaneko
09-29-2004, 02:58 AM
"Just Do It" is my motto. Wait...

I hope people know I joke around a lot. If they don't then I say sorry.

Del Murder
09-29-2004, 03:02 AM
The Golden Rule isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's fine to say "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", but whenever it's time to "Do unto others as they have done unto you", (clearly the better part of the bargain) you get the "Two wrongs don't make a right". I say, "You can't have your cake and eat it too". I get in trouble now and then for speaking too bluntly, both at home, work, and online. It never matters that the person had it coming.
The point of the rule is to always act as you would want others to act towards you no matter what they do. It's 'turn the other cheek' rather than 'eye for an eye'. There is no option for revenge in the 'bargain'.

It's fine if you're all buddies and joking around. I'm guilty of that on many occasions.

Ancient Goddess
09-29-2004, 03:03 AM
Well, I'm the kind of person who will call a spade a spade. I'm extremely tactless and yes, I do sometimes find myself thinking after I've said something, "Why did I say that?" Unfortunately, I get that side from my father.

Usually, I can delete what I say with the click of the mouse or the backspace key, but sometimes I do say things online and they can't get erased...these are usually convos on AIM.

But my friends usually know that I say things a little harsher than I mean them, or I'll call them on stuff, sometimes unintentionally without regards for their feelings. It's the same offline with them. People get offended by what I say all of the time, and I don't really mean it. There's rarely a time that I'll say something mean or ugly to someone without apologizing. But I usually write what I would say to one's face when I'm online.

Giga Guess
09-29-2004, 03:06 AM
The point of the rule is to always act as you would want others to act towards you no matter what they do. It's 'turn the other cheek' rather than 'eye for an eye'. There is no option for revenge in the 'bargain'.

Precisely. It's meant to encourage you to break a cycle, rather than perpetuate it.

Me, I tend to be as respectful on the internet as I am in real life. Sometimes a bit snippier but all in all, on par with the usual for me.

Ouch!
09-29-2004, 03:49 AM
Of course it's easier said than done, especially in real life. Part of being human is being totally irrational at times, especially when driven by emotions. You're always going to end up saying things that you're immediately going to regret, and there's not much you can do about it.

The golden rule(s) are perfect in theory. It's kind of like communism, though. There's too much room for human error that it's unlikely that it will ever work out perfectly.

Trumpet Thief
09-29-2004, 03:59 AM
Precisely. It's meant to encourage you to break a cycle, rather than perpetuate it.

Me, I tend to be as respectful on the internet as I am in real life. Sometimes a bit snippier but all in all, on par with the usual for me.

chaos: I try to do too, although I cannot say I have been truly perfect at it. Sometimes, I jokingly say something that could've been more hurtful than helpful. Sometimes I just lose my temper at something, and to those who had to experience that, I give you my apologies.

Rubedo: Other than that, we try our best to be respectful on the net.

TasteyPies
09-29-2004, 04:01 AM
Whenever I think before I speak I mess up.

When you say what you say before you have time to think, thats what you mean anyway.

kikimm
09-29-2004, 04:04 AM
The golden rule(s) are perfect in theory. It's kind of like communism, though. There's too much room for human error that it's unlikely that it will ever work out perfectly.

That's one of the things that makes us human, after all.

But back on track---here, a lot of the time, I'll start writing something, but then change my mind, and do something else. Usually because it's something "witty" or sarcastic, or maybe even a little insulting; but then I worry that people might take it the wrong way, because they can't see my face, they don't know how I am off the internet. So I guess, generally, I'm more respectful on the internet. I have more time to think about what I'm saying, which helps. I don't have to think of a response right away, or at all, for that matter.

My "real" friends know me so much better; if I say anything mean, they don't take it personally (the only time I say anything insulting is when I'm on medication. But that's another story).

I don't like the Golden Rule. No one ever listens to it, really. Especially people my age, who, for the most part, are selfish, immature, all that good stuff.

:D

fire_of_avalon
09-29-2004, 04:08 AM
I think I pretty much follow these rules in both real life and internet life. I WILL tell people they're being dunderheads, if that's the case, cause I'd like to know when I'm being a dunderhead too.

-N-
09-29-2004, 04:34 AM
I thought the Golden Rule was "Whoever has the gold, makes the rules."

Del Murder
09-29-2004, 05:09 AM
I don't like the Golden Rule. No one ever listens to it, really. Especially people my age, who, for the most part, are selfish, immature, all that good stuff.

Well, yeah, young people are just idiots in general really. That's just another part of life.

Of course none of us are perfect, and we're all prone to outbursts at times, but I think if we all just keep our mouths shut when we have something rude to say the world would be a better place. Shutting up is much simpler than anything it takes to achieve the communist utopia. :)

Peegee
09-29-2004, 09:37 AM
Satanic bible says rewarding people for doing nothing or for not deserving it is stupid.

My problem with the golden rule (do unto others...) is that not everybody enjoys what I enjoy.

As for "if you don't have anything nice to say...", that's just censoring our freedom of speech :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Silmaril
09-29-2004, 01:32 PM
The Golden Rules can't work all the time. but that doesn't stop one from being a nice person.

TasteyPies
09-29-2004, 02:56 PM
As for "if you don't have anything nice to say...", that's just censoring our freedom of speech :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

It is also censoring our freedom of being an arse.

Giga Guess
09-30-2004, 12:03 AM
The Golden Rules can't work all the time. but that doesn't stop one from being a nice person.

Exactly.

Del Murder
09-30-2004, 03:11 AM
Freedom of speech is overrated and overabused.

Garland
09-30-2004, 05:21 AM
I'll second that motion.