PDA

View Full Version : Character design nowadays.

darkchrono
09-29-2004, 04:21 AM
It seems that with the added advantages they have in designing characters with the technology they have nowadays they try to make the characters look like perfect physical specimen's. All the girls look like absolute beauty queens, and all the guy characters look as hunky as they can possibly look. When these systems with the abilty to create such good looking characters first came out it was all cool (it was fun to see what they could create through pure graphics). But now all the characters seem to look exactly the same (either a perfect beauty queen or a perfect hunk).

Now I think it would be cool to see just some average looking joe's (average or maybe just slightly better than average in the looks department.) I think it would be cool for them to start making games with just normal looking people instead of all these God's and Goddess's that they have in the games now.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-29-2004, 04:33 AM
This is why the character designs in the Metal Gear games are so great. All the characters look like real people, and without having to look ugly.

Erdrick Holmes
09-29-2004, 04:50 AM
This thread reminds me of something. Ever notice how with each FF game made after VII they made the main here look less and less manlike and more femenine?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-29-2004, 04:54 AM
Uhm, Amano's character designs are almost universally more feminine than any of Nomura's, and they go back to FFI.

Shlup
09-29-2004, 04:57 AM
Uhm, Amano's character designs are almost universally more feminine than any of Nomura's, and they go back to FFI.
That's true, but I agree with Joel that they're indeed looking more and more like saucy little girls.

It's hot.

TheAbominatrix
09-29-2004, 05:01 AM

Yup.

And this 'pretty' trend is nothing new, and it's hardly 'every character'. Look at X. Wakka wasnt hot... hell, he had a pudgy stomach to boot. Auron was old. And way back in say, IV, the major characters were pretty, from what could be seen. Cecil was handsome, as were Cain and Edge. Rosa and Rydia were very pretty.

The main characters are usually good looking, but travel with some odd looking types. In VI, good looking characters included Tina, Celes, Edgar, Lock, Mash, etc. The odd looking sorts included Stragus, Umaro, and Gogo. So this is nothing new.

And back to the 'feminine' subject... I know this may absolutely boggle the mind, but these games are... Japanese. Japanese culture has long prefered the feminine sort of males. Just look at their pop idols. Gackt, for instance. Very feminine in appearance.

darkchrono
09-29-2004, 06:39 AM
actually i thoought ffX was especially guilty about making the human body look as good as possible. I thought they put alot of emphasis on making their characters look really beautiful in that game.

Big D
09-29-2004, 07:38 AM
actually i thoought ffX was especially guilty about making the human body look as good as possible. I thought they put alot of emphasis on making their characters look really beautiful in that game.Really? In X, Yuna has quite broad hips and a relatively small chest, compared to the stereotype of what's "hot".Look at X. Wakka wasnt hot... hell, he had a pudgy stomach to boot.Guess I'm the only one who thought he was pretty hard... lots of muscle, there.Auron was old.Nothin' wrong with a few grey hairs;)

I agree that there are a lot of unnaturally good-looking characters in games, but there are also refreshing touches of realism, too. Lian Xing, from the Syphon Filter series, is in her early thirties, and far from conforming to the "beauty stereotype" (I say "stereotype" because my own idea of beauty is so broad compared to the "popular conception". There are plenty of people I think are beautiful, but who'd never be considered beautiful by the mainstream standards).

I suppose, though, that video games allow designers to indulge in a little hyper-reality. They can make images that look real, but can go to extremes with what they portray. I'm against it, since I prefer realism and inner beauty over superficial physical gratification, but I don't have anything against people - or characters - who look good, either.

Lindy
09-29-2004, 10:23 AM
Silent Hill games have pretty realistic, and horrendously ugly characters.

The only character who wasn't ugly in SH2 was James, but then, I suppose you have to look at him for the whole game, so it'd rather annoying if he was hard to look it.

Ah, and then we come to Heather of SH3, she put me off playing the game for the simple reason that she was mind-bendingly ugly, and I'd rather not want to look at her very large behind for the entire game, kthnx.

SH4 characters aren't so bad actually.

TheAbominatrix
09-29-2004, 04:01 PM
Guess I'm the only one who thought he was pretty hard... lots of muscle, there.

I dunno. They tease him about the pudge and how out of shape he is.

I agree that there are a lot of unnaturally good-looking characters in games,

Of course. But it's not everyone in every game, and it's certainly not a new thing.

The Man
09-29-2004, 06:25 PM
The only reason people are saying that characters look better than they used to is because the technology has improved. Most of the important characters in games, at least on the hero's side, have always been scripted as attractive characters, it's just that the NES and SNES lacked the power to display them as attractively as the PlayStation 2/Xbox/Dreamcast/GameCube can.

Erdrick Holmes
09-29-2004, 07:07 PM
Look at Vaan from FFXII. If he had a pair of boobs he'd actually look like a hot girl. (I can't beleive I said that)

Lord Chainsaw
09-29-2004, 07:09 PM
This is pretty much the way it is everywhere. Books, movies, television, games, plays, anywhere.

You are usually going to have attractive lead characters. It's just received better.

TheAbominatrix
09-29-2004, 07:27 PM
Look at Vaan from FFXII. If he had a pair of boobs he'd actually look like a hot girl. (I can't beleive I said that)

Amano's designs have always been girly, even moreso than Nomura's. If anything, the designs have gotten more masculine with the change to Nomura.

It's nothing new. Japanese games are made by Japanese people, and designed the way the Japanese like them. The Japanese like feminine men. Stop freaking out about it.

I've attached pictures of Lock (VI) and everyone's beloved, super-manly Cloud. Who looks just like a freaking chick, which explains how they were able to fool Corneo so easily.

So now, it's not the evil fault of the new, devil SquareEnix, and not new with Vaan and Tidus.

The Man
09-30-2004, 01:06 AM
Indeed, Tidus is just the first one who managed to whine throughout the whole freakin' game. :smash: Plus they gave him a girly voice too, I can't imagine that helped at all.

TheAbominatrix
09-30-2004, 01:23 AM
Indeed, Tidus is just the first one who managed to whine throughout the whole freakin' game. :smash: Plus they gave him a girly voice too, I can't imagine that helped at all.

Of course not. But that has nothing to do with his appearance. It's not like Square just started this pretty boy deal.

Agent Proto
09-30-2004, 01:43 AM
I thought this thread was about character designs rather than Final Fantasy character designs.

Anyway, I'll include my input. I kind of agree with darkchrono on this. Most games, including the Final Fantasy series, most of the main characters look attractive in one way or another. Even fighting games. But anyway, who's to complain about it? Even in The Sims, where you create your own characters! You can't make them look like regular joes or janes with a little gut and other imperfectionism.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-30-2004, 01:59 AM
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas apparently implements a system wherein what you have your character eat and how often you have him exercise determines his appearance over time, so you'll finally be able to realize your dream of playing in the image of a fatty.

black orb
09-30-2004, 02:17 AM
>>> Attractive or ugly characters, both are fine with me as long the character development and the game are good..

Anaisa
10-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Who doesn't prefer to look at good looking people rather then ugly bugs? I say keep making good looking chracters but throw in a few uglys too because its not realistic to make everyone good looking.

Lindy
10-03-2004, 01:33 AM
"60. The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly Rule
a. Any male character who is ugly, malformed, or misshapen is either evil or so moral, spiritual, and/or wise that it's a wonder no one's proposed him for sainthood yet.
b. Any male character who has a physical disfiguration that doesn't seem to impede him (i.e. a prominent scar across the face or a bad eye) is evil, unless he is the male lead, since scars are cool and no other good guy can be as cool as the hero. An exception is made for characters who are clearly ancient, and therefore automatically not as cool as the young hero.
c. Any female character who is ugly, malformed, mishapen, or physically disfigured is evil, since all good female characters are there to be potentially seduced by the male lead -- see Know Your Audience. "

~ http://www.project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html