PDA

View Full Version : Opening Port for Program

Rostum
09-29-2004, 04:25 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to open up a TCP port (specifically 6881) for a BitTorrent client I am using (Azureus). If I can't open up that port, how do I go about finding a port that IS open already? I am using an ADSL modem (or router?). Much help would be appreciated.

Baloki
09-29-2004, 10:31 AM
Ok two question really, are you using a firewall, and which one?

Also when you say router is it a modem you can plug several computers into?

If you have a firewall running you need to goto that firewalls options (When you tell u which one someone will know the exact procedure) and then find where it lists the open ports and add the port you want to open.

For the router you need to find its IP address and then type that into the browser address bar, then its options screen will come up, the IP address is usually in the manual I think :D

I hope that helps in a basic way...

Rostum
09-29-2004, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the information, but I finaly found out how to open the ports. The reason it didn't work in the first place, is because the stupid Windows firewall kept reseting my firewall settings after applying them... so I followed a few steps and got it to work.

(A router is a modem that can have more than one computer connect to it anyways, isn't it? Oh and to find out your IP and the router's IP you go to command prompt and type in 'ipconfig')

I had to set the settings for both my LAN connection and my wireless connection and also going into a browser and typing '192.168.1.1' or order to get up my router settings and forward a port.

Thanks for trying to help though. ^^ Much appreciated.

Doomgaze
09-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Omecle - no, a router is not a modem, though I believe Linksys makes a model with a built-in modem.

Dr Unne
09-29-2004, 09:02 PM
A Linksys router is basically like a stripped-down mini-computer with four or five ethernet cards in it, to put things over-simply. It has a firewall in it, so if your computer also has a firewall in it, you need to open the ports on both of those. If you have a router, you probably don't need a firewall enabled on computers on your LAN. The firewall in the router is better, and if you use it correctly, internal firewalls aren't going to serve any purpose, unless you're afraid of attacks coming from inside your LAN.

crono_logical
09-30-2004, 12:43 AM
The firewall in the router is better, and if you use it correctly, internal firewalls aren't going to serve any purpose, unless you're afraid of attacks coming from inside your LAN.Such as if you accidently get a trojan or spyware on your computer. Or even to block simple programs like Windows Media Player or Windows itself sending information out to the net/Microsoft about you without you knowing :p

EDIT: Azureus will let you use a port other than 6881 if you want it to :p

Rostum
09-30-2004, 02:25 AM
Thanks for the extra bit of information. ^^ Oh and I am using an ADSL modem router, it says it on the modem itself. O.o I did have to go into the router settings and foward a port (6881), and also do it for the windows wirewalls for both my netgear wireless and netcomm connections.

I know that Azureus can use different ports, but I wanted to find out how to do this anyways, so the default port was good. ^^

Doomgaze
09-30-2004, 04:41 AM
Such as if you accidently get a trojan or spyware on your computer. Or even to block simple programs like Windows Media Player or Windows itself sending information out to the net/Microsoft about you without you knowing :p

EDIT: Azureus will let you use a port other than 6881 if you want it to :p

Windows Firewall is obviously not going to block Windows Media Player or Windows Itself.

(tm)

crono_logical
09-30-2004, 01:33 PM
Windows Firewall isn't even application based, not pre-SP2 anyway, nor do I think it blocks anything outgoing, so that's just as useless when you have a hardware firewall :p

Rostum
10-01-2004, 02:39 AM
Windows Firewall isn't even application based, not pre-SP2 anyway, nor do I think it blocks anything outgoing, so that's just as useless when you have a hardware firewall :p

What application firewall do you suggest I use?

Baloki
10-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Norton Internet Security if you plan to install a copy on every computer (The 2003 version doesn't require a CD key so can be installed on multiple symiltaniously) as Norton works well on netwroks.

However if you prefer for them to work more individually go for nasty old Zone Alarm.

The other option is the free firewall and anti-virus offering from CA that they are offering to all users of Windows XP.

Hope that helps :D

crono_logical
10-01-2004, 12:18 PM
I prefer Tiny/Kerio Personal Firewall - version 2 of either is free for home use too :p Shame neither work on Win2k3 though :p ZoneAlarm is the firewall I recommend to keep away from :D