PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinions on Square.

Cisco
09-30-2004, 03:08 PM
What do you think of squaresoft right now? Do you think it is better than ever; do you think they lost it; or do you think they should make things better? IMHO, Square needs to go back to what it was, the top tier style of rpg making. I wish apon a star that their would be an RPG like FF6, 7, Xenogears and above all Chrono Trigger (w/c is the best RPG ever made IMO). I just can't stand what it is today, i was very disappointed with FFX-2, and some of the new titles being produced. Why can't we see another style of a chrono trigger or FFoldschooler, what the **** happened to square these days?

Well, that was my opinions how do you guys feel?

Jolts
09-30-2004, 03:35 PM
I never agreed with their merging with Enix, 'cause I knew it would change things (possibly for the better, but most likely for the worst). I also don't like how they completely scrapped the idea of remaking FFVII for PS2. I really had my hopes up for that... Alos, FFXI...I just never liked online games, especially when you have to pay a monthly fee just to play it.
Other than that, I don't have any other problems. I liked FFX-2 just fine. FFXII isn't even out yet, and people are already complaining about it. I'd prefer to actually play the game first before I hunt for any reasons to not like it. FF: CC was a pretty cool idea, but since nobody I know likes it or wants to play it anymore, I've never seen the ending (single player is just boring with it, and I don't actually own the game, my friend does).

TheAbominatrix
09-30-2004, 03:54 PM
The only thing I dislike about the merger with Enix is that it removes some of Square's competition, which is both good and bad. Good because it allows them a bit more freedom to try things, bad because there's less motivation to shell out another amazing game and 'beat the competition'.

I like Square just as much as I always have. They're coming out with amazing games and they have a lot more innovation than they did. I wonder how things will shape up now that Sakaguchi is gone? The only thing that makes me even think of disliking Square is the constant complaints. Some people want new and innovative, others want the same game redone 600 different ways. Either side is going to complain. Constantly.

And, even if one day I decide I hate Square, before descending to whining I'll go play one of the hundreds of other amazing RPGs on the market, and all will be right with my world.

Erdrick Holmes
09-30-2004, 04:56 PM
I've lost faith in it somewhat. Games like FFVI and VII amuse me while IX, X, and X-2 make me wonder if Square Enix even cares anymore with such sloppy characters and plots going downward. Ever sence the merger it's been just aweful. They rely too much on FFX and VII that they made sequels to them, why do that when they can just make put all of that effort and money into making newer titles or making sequels to games that beg them. I've been dying for another Ehgiez or a sequel to Vagrant Story, and as well as them finishing Chrono Break or whatever the Chrono Cross Sequel was called that Square decided to cancel.

TheAbominatrix
09-30-2004, 05:09 PM
Enix had nothing to do with X or X-2 I'm pretty sure Enix came in just around the time X-2 was released. By the by, werent you one of the people howling for a VII sequel not too long ago?

They arent gonna waste their money making sequels for games that didnt make them a lot of cash. Like Ergeiz or Vagrant Story. I'd rather they old off on another Chrono game, unless they have a really good idea to do it with.

It's so funny, now Enix ix gonna be the scapegoat for the 'destruction of Square'. Poor Enix.

Erdrick Holmes
09-30-2004, 06:21 PM
Actually the merger happened a little while after X was released I think. And I wasn't howling for a VII sequel, I was howling for an VIII sequel.

Jolts
09-30-2004, 06:39 PM
I think they should make one gigantic Final Fantasy in which all the main characters and final bosses of each FF game are somehow connected and help each other out during the story.

...No, nevermind, I don't really think that, that'd be ludicrous. However, a fighting game with a lot of the main characters and final bosses would be sweet (even better if it's done SSBM style), and little (if any) new characters.

But we all know that will very likely never happen.

P.S. Joel, I refuse to clcik :p.

TheAbominatrix
09-30-2004, 08:14 PM
Another fighting game would definitly be fun, but it'd better be better Ergheiz. That blewn. Something like Soul Calibur would be nice, or even SSBM. I dont think Ergheiz pulled in enough revenue to matter, though.

m4tt
09-30-2004, 09:09 PM
This thread belongs in the general square-enix forum.

iluvpenelo
09-30-2004, 09:16 PM
i agree with abominatrix, there are two square camps. one that wants new innovative games and another that want sequels. i personally would love both. i think square should remake VII, VII, IX for PS2. i would gladly buy VII and IX again, id consider buying VIII, but i also think that they should put alot of effort into the newer games. im still surprised that some game company hasnt snatched up the HIS DARK MATERIALS books, coz they'd be an amaaaaaaaaazing rpg if done right

TheAbominatrix
09-30-2004, 09:28 PM
I dunno if Square is too big on making RPGs from existing ideas, like books.

Aside from the new LotR RPG coming out (which is based off the movies anyway), are there any RPGs based off of books? Now I'm curious. I suppose I shall have to make a topic.

edczxcvbnm
09-30-2004, 10:27 PM
I don't know about RPGs based off of books but if there were some it wouldn't be any book we have heard of. Since squenix is located in the land of the rising fun, they read jap books which we have never heard the likes of.

In my opinion square never really had it. They have some good games and have had a good run in the mid-late 90's but other than that they sucked for the most part.

Chrono Trigger was good but that was a collabaration with enix(so where is a true sequel already? )
Super Mario RPG was a collaboration with Nintendo
Then there was the PSX generaiton where they had some good games and some original ones like Parasite Eve and Xenogears.

This generation they haven't done much of anything worthwhile all around. I don't own one square game yet this generation although when the greatest FF game ever hits...I will own it(FFXII).

Their FFVII sequel-ish game is a waste of damn time. Why don't they give the people what they want. A SEQUEL TO FFVII. The movie is cool but why make a game based off a side character that is optional and not very important? Where is a true FFVII RPG sequel?

Square...Your a bunch of morons...most of the time.

EDIT: Clean it up. -SD

Ouch!
09-30-2004, 11:09 PM
It's come to the point where you love them or you hate them. I still love Square, and Square Enix to death. Why? As far as I've concerned, all of the games they've produced, that I've played mind you, were good. Sure, some were better than others, but in the end, none of them have sucked so horribly that it would bring me to hating the company.

All the Final Fantasy games have been fun to play. When I finally got my hands on FF Origins, Anthologies and Chronicles I was as giddy as a school girl. Though I haven't finished any of them, they've all been fun to play.

Most all of their Final Fantasy titles have developed a strong fan-base (except maybe II and IIIj) and the Chrono games are well liked, Tactics was amazing, and though I'm not overtly fond of it, FFTA has many fans as well. Vagrant Story is one of those love-it-hate-it titles, but I have no opinion as I haven't played it. From what I understand, Ergheiz was nothing special, but it's not really a big title. Xenogears has a decent fan-base as well.

Some people whine incessantly about FFX-2. It was great, but it was fun. I've played through twice, but that's all I've gotten out of it. Some people whine about FFXI: Online because they're terribly upset about an online game. So what? I played it for 10 months and then stopped- not because I didn't like it, but because I realized I didn't have the time to get anywhere in it.

Others complain about FFXII (which I think may restore Square Enix's glory) and Before Crisis, Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus. Sucks to them I say, it's not even out yet. Though there are a lot of FFVII games coming out, they all look decent to me, and Advent Children is going to be amazing. We probably won't even get Before Crisis State side, so why bother with it? Dirge of Cerberus is shaping up to be a third person shooter, but I don't mind. Vincent was a kick-ass character, even if he had a minimal role.

All this comes down to my opinion: Square Enix isn't that god-awful. And though I don't like to hear everyone constantly whining about how bad something is, you have the right to. If you do whine, I think it should be done so with back-up as to why the game/company is so bad. This thread has done a good job so far, and I hope it stays that way.

Necronopticous
09-30-2004, 11:14 PM
I wish apon a star that their would be an RPG like FF6, 7, Xenogears and above all Chrono Trigger

I wish, also [u]pon a star, that people would learn the correct uses of the following words: "they're", "their", and "there".

Sorry, but if you're going to bring back the age-old argument: "Square should constantly produce clones of great games they've made in the past," at least do so in a grammatically correct manner. I wonder if everyone would be satisfied if Square made as many clone games as complaining people made clone threads about how Square is:

a) out of ideas.
b) a group of money grubbing assholes.
c) lame for being innovative.
d) et.al.

Ouch!
09-30-2004, 11:21 PM
And here I was hoping that this would be a nice thread.

Cisco
10-01-2004, 02:27 AM
I just wish that the square market was like 5 years (and below) ago, today Square is spitting out games like Star Ocean, FFX-2, FFVII-Dirge Of Cerebus, and some other enix titles. But before the market was, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, The Manna series, etc. The titles being spilled out were 10x better than what is being spilled out now. :cry:

TheAbominatrix
10-01-2004, 02:32 AM
Star Ocean has been around for quite some time. And FF is still in control of the market. The Xeno series is still going strong. I dont see the problem. If it's a quality issue, then just continue to play the old ones. I dont see a lack of quality in the new ones, I just see people clinging to the 'golden age' instead of getting over it and making due with what's happening now.

Cisco
10-01-2004, 04:02 AM
The xeno series aint square no more. :mad:

TheAbominatrix
10-01-2004, 04:05 AM
It never was 'Square'. It was liscensed by Square, they didnt create it.

edczxcvbnm
10-01-2004, 04:59 AM
I wouldn't go that far with Xenogears Abo(thats you new nickname from me). Square had a lot of in house people working on the project. From senerio designers to the composer and artists. They not only liscensed it but also contributed the money and personel to make it on multiple levels. I would say it was more in house than out of house development.

Someone correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

TheAbominatrix
10-01-2004, 05:02 AM
I wouldnt doubt it, ed. I'm only saying what I've hard, I have little knowledge on Xenogears.

DJZen
10-01-2004, 06:47 AM
I'm tired of these threads.

I'm REALLY tired of these threads.

People, Squaresoft is a VIDEO GAME COMPANY. They make GAMES. GAMES. You guys are talking about this like it really matters terribly. We've got MUCH bigger issues at stake than whether or not Square's next game isn't moody enough for you or has too much j-pop. If Squenix has lost their touch, it's not going to heavily impact your life. If this really IS that important to you, you need to re-prioritize. In keeping with my own advice, I will not respond to any more of these threads simply because they annoy me that much.

Necronopticous
10-01-2004, 04:13 PM
I just wish that the square market was like 5 years (and below) ago, today Square is spitting out games like Star Ocean, FFX-2, FFVII-Dirge Of Cerebus, and some other enix titles. But before the market was, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, The Manna series, etc. The titles being spilled out were 10x better than what is being spilled out now. :cry:
Again, that's a fallacy of speech, this is just an opinion, no more, no less. How can you say "The titles being spilled out were 10x better than what is being spilled out now," that's complete nonsense, who are you to judge the quality of the games now and then beside for yourself? You say they're "better" but that's a total misplacement of words, get into the habit of saying "I don't like them as much" because that's what's really going on regardless of what you write.

If Squenix has lost their touch, it's not going to heavily impact your life.
I don't know if I'd go that far. If Square actually 'lost their touch' it would heavily impact my life. Sqaure is a big deal in my life, and has been since I was 7 years old. I know, however, that Square will not 'lose their touch' so to speak unless they go out of business and do not make games at all. In this case, my life would be very negatively affected.

iluvpenelo
10-01-2004, 06:30 PM
hmmm.....i love the chrono games dearly. chrono trigger was great and in my, much disputed, opinion; chrono cross was even better. I was immensely impressed by FFVII, immensely let down by FFVIII, and BLOWN AWAY, COMPLETELY LEFT IN AWE OF THE MASTERPIECE IN GAMING THAT WAS FFIX!!

X, in my opinion, started off great. but im starting to suffer from the same thing i did when playing VIII. When i was playing IX, i was itching when i was away from my PS1, and was intensely emotionally attatched to the characters and the story. But playing VIII, and now X, i started to debate wether or not i cared what happened next. I just didnt get into VIII's story and while i did get into Xs story, i have lost intrest rapidly.

Vagrant Story i thought was okay, not great but not terrible,
Xenogears, never played it but i will soon. its been on my list for years
Ehrgiez, personally i thought it sucked. i didnt see the point in it
Parasite eve and PE2, nah. didnt like them either

my point in all this is, every company no matter what they make will go through dry patches. on a whole i think square have managed to stave off these dry patches but if god forbid, they get struck by one....so what?? they're only gonna bounce back again. Not only are square great at making games but they're great at making crap ideas great games. i mean, i nearly choked when i heard about kingdom hearts. DISNEY??!?! HOW DARE THOSE DISNEY FREAKS INFILTRATE MY SQUARESOFT!!! but, then i played it. it shouldnt have worked, there was no way it could have worked, but it did.

square make good games. occasionally they make GREAT games.
and like anyone, they also make their fare share of stinkers. either way, they're gonna be around for awhile, coz as much as certain ppl moan about games that havent been released yet, (FFXII, DOC) the fact is we're square freaks and we're gonna buy them anyway

thats just my opinion, take it how you want

Wuggly Blight
10-01-2004, 06:58 PM
I think during the murger which started during ff9 square went down hill, along with alot of its game qualities. Sure there all out to make a profit but it used to have a genuine passion for making the games too which seems to be lost now...

TheAbominatrix
10-01-2004, 07:08 PM
The merger did not start during FFIX.

Ouch!
10-01-2004, 09:54 PM
Again, that's a fallacy of speech, this is just an opinion, no more, no less. How can you say "The titles being spilled out were 10x better than what is being spilled out now," that's complete nonsense, who are you to judge the quality of the games now and then beside for yourself? You say they're "better" but that's a total misplacement of words, get into the habit of saying "I don't like them as much" because that's what's really going on regardless of what you write.
Honestly, I don't think he meant that this was fact. Generally, people will post in threads offering their opinions, it's understood. You don't have to throw out, "I think..." every time you state an opinion. You're the one who percieves it as a fact. It doesn't sound like he's going to fight this to the death, insisting that it's absolutely true. You really shouldn't rag on him about it.

Necronopticous
10-01-2004, 10:14 PM
Honestly, I don't think he meant that this was fact. Generally, people will post in threads offering their opinions, it's understood. You don't have to throw out, "I think..." every time you state an opinion. You're the one who percieves it as a fact. It doesn't sound like he's going to fight this to the death, insisting that it's absolutely true. You really shouldn't rag on him about it.
He said that the games WERE 10 times better than as opposed to now, that's not an opinion. He also used a game as an example for "now" which is totally esoteric at best. How can he possibly say that the games were 10 times better before (which is already a fallacy) and use a game he's not played, or even seen or heard much of, for an example? I'm not ragging on him any more than he is ragging on Square, and I'm not the type of person to just sit around when someone is unfairly criticizing something.

Rostum
10-02-2004, 12:42 AM
He said that the games WERE 10 times better than as opposed to now, that's not an opinion. He also used a game as an example for "now" which is totally esoteric at best. How can he possibly say that the games were 10 times better before (which is already a fallacy) and use a game he's not played, or even seen or heard much of, for an example? I'm not ragging on him any more than he is ragging on Square, and I'm not the type of person to just sit around when someone is unfairly criticizing something.

OCC:Get a life, it was obviously based on an opinion. He is allowed to criticize anything he wants to, he has that right. He is allowed to have an opinion of what he sees, hears about, and experiences - you have no right to take that away from him.

I think Square-Enix had more of an appeal as Squaresoft back in the days, but no doubt I still like their games they are releasing here now. If it wern't for the merger I don't think they would have started producing the FF7 sequals and prequal, to be honest.

Jolts
10-02-2004, 09:45 AM
He said that the games WERE 10 times better than as opposed to now...
It is a fact, to him. That's basically what an opinion is, an individual fact, but just because he demands something to be like that, it doesn't mean you have to believe it too.

I can see how the merge can work out, though. I mean, Enix wasn't a bad company before. They made great games like Dragon Quest (which I haven't actually played, but I've heard good things) and Actraiser. Still though, I like Squaresoft more than I did Enix, so it kinda' broke my heart (not really, but...you know what I mean, right?).

Dante WolfWood
10-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Enix had nothing to do with X or X-2 I'm pretty sure Enix came in just around the time X-2 was released. By the by, werent you one of the people howling for a VII sequel not too long ago?

They arent gonna waste their money making sequels for games that didnt make them a lot of cash. Like Ergeiz or Vagrant Story. I'd rather they old off on another Chrono game, unless they have a really good idea to do it with.

It's so funny, now Enix ix gonna be the scapegoat for the 'destruction of Square'. Poor Enix.

Actually, I believe the merge happened Right AFTER FFIX and I do believe enix had impact on X...but hey, I could be just as wrong as any1 else...>.>

as for square...Personally, I dont care. As long as they make games with great graphics for its age in time,great storyline, and Gameplay, I'll play it. And about action RPG and people getting upset; they're just trying something new. Hell, if SEX made a football game and it had good graphics and SOMEHOW had a great storyline, hell I'd play it....

ps/ have you notice whenever square TRIES to satisfy people by going back and doing old-tradition, people start saying "owz godz, SQUARZ HAZ LOSTZ IDEAZ AND LOSZ ITZ TOUCHZ" makes meh sick...

Ouch!
10-02-2004, 04:49 PM
I don't remember there being a single mention of Enix in the FFX credits. Even if they had a tiny hand in it, they would have been mentioned.

Wuggly Blight
10-02-2004, 06:38 PM
The merger did not start during FFIX.
actually yes it did, Its not one week, oh weve merged! It takes years, they had discussions and plans long before it was made public, all we saw was the final steps.
Although there reasorces doubled, I think they was best vefore the merger, They both have very diffrent ideals in there games.

TheAbominatrix
10-02-2004, 10:35 PM
actually yes it did, Its not one week, oh weve merged! It takes years, they had discussions and plans long before it was made public, all we saw was the final steps.
Although there reasorces doubled, I think they was best vefore the merger, They both have very diffrent ideals in there games.

So... that effects the game how?

Jolts
10-02-2004, 11:56 PM
In April 2003, two of the video game industry’s leading companies, Square Co., Ltd. and Enix Corporation, merged to form a new company, Square Enix Co., Ltd. (Square Enix).
Final Fantasy X - Square Enix - 07/19/01 JP
Final Fantasy X-2 - Square Enix - 03/13/03 JP
Kingdom Hearts - Square Enix - 03/28/02 JP
As you can see (assuming that GameFAQs is correct with its information), Enix didn't have anything to do with those games, unless they helped before the official merge.

---EDIT---
By the way, it says "Square Enix" because of the merging, not because Enix may have had someting to do with it.

Trumpet Thief
10-03-2004, 04:22 AM
chaos: Well, I can say that I missed the older Final Fantasies, as they felt as though they deserved the "fantasy". But I also learned to embrace change. FFVII, VIII, IX, X were IMO pretty good.

Rubedo: Even FFX-2 was pretty fun. In any case, they are doing good, but if they brought back one of those older style ones, I'd be more than overjoyed.

Del Murder
10-04-2004, 01:49 AM
I think they still make good games and that's all I really care about. If one day they start making crappy games it'll suck but I'll just play something else...like their old games.

A little tip: Please think before you react. When someone says something is 'better', they are referring to opinion. Whether or not you think that is true, at this message board assume it is. I don't like to see arguments about 'fallacy of speech' or the meanings behind words, just say why your opinion is different or nothing at all. :)

Ryth
11-20-2004, 08:16 AM
It is still a great company with many great titles but I think they're milking the FFVII cow WAAAAYYYY too much lately I mean FFVII: AC FFVII: DOC, FFVII: BC, and that PSP game. I see a bright future for Square it'll be even better if they fire Akitoshi Kawazu who keeps making crap like Unlimited Saga, Saga Frontier, Saga Frontier II, Racing Lagoon, these 2 games weren't horrid but could've have been better lots of fans disliked FFII I hear and some say Legend of Mana wasn't too great either I am willing to give him 1 more chance really but that's it.

Cloud_Strife14
11-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Square is the best game compagny out there! Y are bashing it for making some bad games!? Like come on! Enix had nothing to do with it, it's bacause Sagaguchi hasn't worked on an FF game since FF7! Infact star ocean till the end of time is a kick ass game! I was blown away by it the first time i saw it!

I was a little dissapointed by X and X-2, i didn't like the story line and characters of X, and X-2 wasn't all that interesting for me, but i still that they were fun games and i still play them today. XI is a really cool game, i don't know why people keep putting it down!

And all of you that posting that square sucks and that they lost their touch, then why are you on square site posting?

Ryth
11-23-2004, 09:18 PM
Square is the best game compagny out there! Y are bashing it for making some bad games!? Like come on! Enix had nothing to do with it, it's bacause Sagaguchi hasn't worked on an FF game since FF7! Infact star ocean till the end of time is a kick ass game! I was blown away by it the first time i saw it!

I was a little dissapointed by X and X-2, i didn't like the story line and characters of X, and X-2 wasn't all that interesting for me, but i still that they were fun games and i still play them today. XI is a really cool game, i don't know why people keep putting it down!

And all of you that posting that square sucks and that they lost their touch, then why are you on square site posting?

I agree that Square is probably the best company out there and maybe I was a little harsh on Akitoshi but he needs to shape up. Yeah why are you Square haters here? Here of all places why don't you find a www.IhateFF.com or sometihng geez.

Also the PSP FFVII game is called FFVII: Crisis Core (you probably know because it was on the bulletin board).

Yuffie514
11-24-2004, 07:03 PM
i have two different opinions on Square-Enix. i don't like it for these reasons: 1, it's breaking Final Fantasy traditions; have u noticed in FF10-2 and FFTA that u can't summon guardian forces anymore :mad2: ? 2, i could only level up to #50 for FFTA, not to #99 or #100 :mad2: ! 3, last but not least, thanks to this alliance, i have to pay much more for FFXI, just to play it online :mad2: ! that sux! on the other hand, here's why i like Square-Enix: 1, there probably wouldn't have been FF10-2/FFTA without it. 2, well, i guess it's helping Squaresoft in a way. overall, i hope this merger doesn't last long; i think it's giving Final Fantasy a lower reputation. Square should've merged with Nintendo and make a Zelda-Final Fantasy RPG! :D

Dark Ekonis
11-24-2004, 08:19 PM
IMO Square and Enix can only improve. Both companies know RPG's like no others bussiness. I fully enjoy all FF's and DW's. A combination of the two would rock. And for you that don't think their is any competition, well what about namco, and Konami. I know the suikoden and xeno series are very popular and I also enjoy them aswell. The changing of the games comes with evolution, we did it from monkeys and apes, games will to, They can't be monkeys forever, plus they have to appeal to their new fans, Ya-know you can never satisfy everyone all the time, you can only satisfy some people some of the time.......

Crazy the Clown
12-12-2004, 08:50 PM
They suck.

:laugh: I'm just playin'. Square-Enix is the best thing to ever happen to videogames.

My only concern about them is, "When're they going to release a PlayStation version of Final Fantasy III (Japanese exclusive, thus far.) and Secret of Mana?"

feioncastor
12-19-2004, 07:05 AM
My concern with Square-Enix (I will always feel weird calling them that) is simply this.

No new AND good games.

The only really good games they've realeased lately are all re-makes. Seriously, FFT was the last REALLY GOOD game that Squaresoft released, and since then, only the remakes have been worth my compliments.

And I don't need remakes, nor do I think they're a good idea. They're descrating a beautiful thing. There was a time when only intelligent gamers played FF1-FF6, and then suddenly, all these remakes have caused all these noobs to think that they know what FF is all about.

And if it's not the remakes, it the newer games, such as X and X-2, which draw in the wrong crowd. FF games aren't supposed to be 'about' graphics, but they are now. No one cares about making a really touching story, or incredible gameplay, because everyone is so concerned about graphics anymore. Look at Super Mario Bros. 3. It's an excellent game, with awful 1989 graphics. Someone makes a thread called "Name your top 5 FF characters of all time" and most people respond something like this:

1. AURON :)
2. Tidus
3. Yuna
4. Rikku
5. Paine

And while that may be true, I guess I just wish people would play at least half of the FF games before deciding which one is the best or has the coolest characters and stuff.

Dang, I rant too much. I'm not trying to offend anyone, so I'll shut up right now before I do. I'm sorry.

Feion

Sephex
12-20-2004, 04:53 AM
Well, the way I look at it, they were awesome back in the day. I still like their newer games, but not NEARLY as much as I liked the SNES (a little of PSX too) era of Square games (hell, that whole system had an swesome library).

Wuggly Blight
12-20-2004, 11:54 AM
I guess between ff4 and ff7 was squares golden age, and now the golden age is over really, we may see a renascence someday, but its focus on graphics and change of target buyers somewhat changes alot to me, and the large break away from ff tradition, tradition that makes the game. Alot of new fans have no idea of final fantasy heritage and hail the newer games (final fantasy 10/-2) as the best ever and only know of them and hail the characters as the best with no idea that there is a far wider and better range of characters out there then Rikku.

Square has been in the business a long time and so has Enix, and between them they have alot of exprience, so why have they turned away to the things that make final fantasy? By trying to catch a new range of fans there insulting the older fans who expect more, and this is what disapoints me most of all.

Mirage
12-20-2004, 10:42 PM
My two cents or whatever.

I still think Square-Enix is a great company. I have nothing against the changes they do. If it weren't for innovative companies like S-E, the industry would stagnate.
S-E is doing their best to making something better, better than their previous games. Clearly, they can't come up with something better every single time, but it definitely won't happen if they stick to the same, old recipie.

Now for some words about the increased focus on graphics, and how some people (the die hard fans) seem to not care about that. They pushed the NES to it's limits, they pushed the SNES to it's limits, they pushed the PS1 to it's limits, same goes for the PS2. All video game companies try to make their games as good looking as possible, why shouldn't S-E? The first impression (read: graphics) of a game is very important, especially for those who aren't die-hard fans.
S-E can't only make games that appeal to the fans, they need to make games that appeal to as big an audience as possible. Money is a very big and important part of the video game industry. That applies to S-E too.

Think I'm going to quote something a friend of mine once said, it covers my opinion pretty good too.

They are meant to be very unique from the last, and each of them suits different tastes to provide to each individual gamer. Which is why none are the same, and the difficultly levels are varied. So as much as you enjoy searching for crystals, or chasing Sephiroth, or fighting Sin... Don’t expect to find the next FF anything like the previous. This I respect. Of course there will be Final Fantasies that some gamers don't like...
But guess what? They've already had a Final Fantasy that suited them perfectly, so lets give another gamer a chance to find theirs. And I hate it when those people are so greedy and self-centred that they can't see that this is what Square is trying to achieve... So since they can't have a Final Fantasy like the one they enjoy, they all of a sudden think that Square has met their "downfall". Get over it. Seriously

feioncastor
12-21-2004, 06:31 AM
FF6 was cricized for having the same graphics quality as FF4, which shows that with FF6 (imo, the best FF), their emphasis was on story, and gameplay, and they didn't really work on graphics too much.

I think that 7 was the last great one.

You know what the problem is? I grew up with Super Nintendo and NES, so when I play a game, I want it to be like it was. Unfortunately, the reality is that times change, and fads change, so there will never be another FF6.

I just get so sad when I think about it. Because back in the day, I could play FF6 literally for days on end, drinking a lot of Pepsi, that is. And it never got boring. It never got boring to walk around and fight, or to wander around the Veldt to learn new rages for Gau. That stuff was always fun. When I would go to school, I would be playing the music from FF6 in my head, over and over again, just ready to run home and play it (literally, run home). And I'd play till dinner, then eat, then play till bedtime, then get up and do it all over again. I remember being so excited that it was friday because I could stay up all night and play FF6 (eventually FF7 and FFT), and go to bed long after the sun came up the next day.

And I get sad when I realize that I'm never gonna find another game that makes me feel that way. I mean, it's really cool to be that engrossed in a game, and I'm worried that I'll never be that way again. Do you think that I am just growing up, or what? Whatever it is, it sucks.

I know it seems lame that I make this big of a deal out of games, but I'm sure that some of you can relate to me. I've never really had a bunch of friends, and I really wouldn't want them, because even if my friends were being a**holes, I could always hang out with Locke, Terra, Cloud, and Ramza. God, now I'm getting way too dramatic, huh?

I'll shut the hell up about it now.

Feion

Wuggly Blight
12-21-2004, 11:46 AM
I guess its just the times, Square is selling out to other people and betraying the fans and stabbing the ff mix for graphics focus, I doubt we will ever see an FF game such as 6 or 7 again until Square returns to there old ways.

Mirage
12-21-2004, 12:30 PM
In my opinion, the graphics in FF6 are much more detailed and varying than in FF4. Anyway, I can agree with there not being too much to do about the graphics, but then again, they did have a smaller budget than they do now too.

I guess its just the times, Square is selling out to other people and betraying the fans and stabbing the ff mix for graphics focus, I doubt we will ever see an FF game such as 6 or 7 again until Square returns to there old ways.
It was with FF7 they started the CG and 3D trend anyway. What you said didn't make much sense.

Dark Ekonis
12-21-2004, 02:57 PM
I guess I am lucky, I get captivated by all the FF. I enjoy playing them all, as far as graphics go, hell if S-E wants to make my experience more life like then so be it, it will just take me in that much more. the reason I think that I am lucky, is that I started way back in the 80's with FF1 and I am still as deep into them as I was then, Being a Product Designer means I don't have to fully grow up, and thats the best. I also have the ability to be a kid with my kid, he he, Sorry I am getting way off subject, but anyways I enjoy FF and I think they are getting better for the most part and about Marage's friends quote, hell yea, I would have to agree, its just too bad not everyone is so easily satisfied as I am.

Wuggly Blight
12-22-2004, 01:44 PM
I expect alot from a series such as Final Fantasy, Alot of people do but its annoying that alot of people started on ff10 and final fantasy doesn't go beyond that game or Rikku, and of which the newer games are aimed at a very diffrent target buyer group, these annoying Rikku fans.
As graphics have been improved story and overall game quality has gone down. There is a HUGE divide over final fantasy 10, and a lot of people hated it, (Ive noticed alot of them are the older fans) I guess, its because we have been playing the series for such a long time we expect more from them.

Ichimonji
12-22-2004, 02:21 PM
They are meant to be very unique from the last, and each of them suits different tastes to provide to each individual gamer. Which is why none are the same, and the difficultly levels are varied. So as much as you enjoy searching for crystals, or chasing Sephiroth, or fighting Sin... Don’t expect to find the next FF anything like the previous. This I respect. Of course there will be Final Fantasies that some gamers don't like... But guess what? They've already had a Final Fantasy that suited them perfectly, so lets give another gamer a chance to find theirs. And I hate it when those people are so greedy and self-centred that they can't see that this is what Square is trying to achieve... So since they can't have a Final Fantasy like the one they enjoy, they all of a sudden think that Square has met their "downfall". Get over it. Seriously.

I was the man who said that, so I guess that's my opinion on Square.

But on related topics in this thread.... I agree with Wuggly pertaining to how biased fanboys ruin the series. Although the exact same thing abides to biased old school gamers too. I discovered the Final Fantasy series back in 1991 with Final Fantasy IV (FFII Easy Type) and loved the series ever since. I've learned to appreciate each one for what they're worth. Usually, this doesn't apply to most people, but usually one's favourite Final Fantasy in the Final Fantasy that hooked you onto the series. Which is completely understandable, but it's horrible when they turn out to be arrogant and stubborn in their views to other FF titles.

Think of each Final Fantasy being just a totally new game with a few references. I mean, they could've taken Chrono Trigger, slapped a Chocobo in there and called it Final Fantasy. Then people's views on that game would be totally different just because 'Final Fantasy' is the title.

Ralix
01-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Holy crap, im so angry! i know so little about FF7 advent children, and every time i see a screenshot.... i just want to fall in love.. i DO fall in love! :eek: :eek: