PDA

View Full Version : Too much going on at once?

Ouch!
09-30-2004, 11:20 PM
In the past year Square Enix has discussed releasing so many new games (or movie in case of FFVII:AC) that it's getting rediculous. First we've got Kingdom Hearts II, KH: Chain of Memories and Final Fantasy XII, three works-in-progress we've been hearing about for a long time. Then they bring FFVII: Advent Children into the mix. Of course, once they getting into the FFVII franchise, they announce FFVII:Before Crisis and then FFVII:Dirge of Cerberus.

That's not it, there's that game Radiata Stories, or something like that and then that strange game that seems to feature both characters from FFVII and the Dragon Warrior series.

I know the company is now a lot bigger than it was, but eight games and a movie cooking over the same fire? I don't know, but it sounds a bit rediculous to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to say that they can't do it and all of these titles are going to suck. Actually, I think FFXII, Advent Children and both of the Kingdom Hearts titles are going to be amazing. Dirge of Cerberus sounds promising, we'll probably not see a State side release for Before Crisis any time soon, and as far as Radiata Stories and the FFVII DQ cross over goes, they're probably only in developing stages.

It still seems like a little bit too much, and even a little too good to be true. I can only hope that they can pull this off. If they can, it'll be absolutely amazing.

Your thoughts?

Necronopticous
09-30-2004, 11:29 PM
Like many others, you've fallen into a common misconception about not just Square, but all video-game production companies. When people think "Square is putting out a game" for some reason they get it in their head that Square is this group of guys who sit around and say hey, let's make this game, and work on this one on the side." When really, you should be looking at the team, rather than the Square logo. Now you'll see, most of the teams don't overlap in many places. Square has tons of teams working under their budget to produce these games, so they might have 6 teams working on a game each, they're not just a group of the same guys. A good example is the awesome branch that is "Square: Product Development Division 6." This is the team that develops the awesome Front Mission series, they are totally unrelated from what goes on while an installment of Final Fantasy may be being made at the same time. Whether or not Square has 12 games, 3 DVDs, and a dancing monkey robot coming out all at the same time, you can rest easily in your beds knowing that it's going to be one hell of a dancing monkey. The games get just as much attention with everything else going on as they'd get if it was the only thing being made, trust me on that one.

Ouch!
09-30-2004, 11:34 PM
I realize there are many teams, but I still believe that running this many projects can be conflicting. Square Enix is having to deal with enough changes as is and overloading with projects can't be the best course of action, even if they are only dealing with them indirectly.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-01-2004, 02:38 AM
You forgot Ambrosia Odyssey, Fantasy Earth, the Romancing SaGa remake (which is a big process, from an early SNES game to a straight-up PS2 game), Dragon Quest VIII, Half-Boiled Hero IV, Half-Boiled Hero DS, and Front Mission Online. Apparently they have a hand in Everquest II, as well.

Ouch!
10-01-2004, 04:19 AM
O_O

edczxcvbnm
10-01-2004, 05:08 AM
8 games and a movie I think is rather crappy for a 'big' company like squenix. Companies like Capcom probably put out at least 20 a year...and I am probably short changing companies like Capcom and Konami. Maybe more like 30 or 40.

As stated above square is doing a lot more than you said.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-01-2004, 07:59 AM
Oh, and that sequel to Brave Fencer Musashiden. Musashi Samurai Legend.

Trumpet Thief
10-03-2004, 11:03 PM
chaos: I don't think they are doing too much at once. For me, as long as they do a good job, I'd be happy about a lot of games being released..

Albedo: *Laughs maniacally* As long as they do not take too long with them...

chaos: I'm looking forward to KHII, and hoping that we will see more FF characters this time...

Rubedo: The FFVII Collection, although it feels as though they should make another game, instead of using FFVII for all it's worth, will probably be okay too. At least AC anyways.

Trowa: Dragon Quest VIII is one I hope they do good on as well.

DJZen
10-04-2004, 01:24 AM
Capcom usually has just as much in development. Right now they're working on Resident Evil 4, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Fighting Evolution, Mega Man X Command Mission, and god only knows what else. For a company this big to have this many projects isn't that suprising, really.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Mega Man X Command Mission is out. I guess you could fill its spot in the list with Mega Man X8.

Loony BoB
10-04-2004, 01:35 PM
I wonder how many games EA is making.

If SE have the people to make the games, I don't have a problem with it. I just wish they'd release them faster. I've been looking forward to FFXII for so long now and there's still a long way to go. :( It's been forever since they released an FF that actually interested me. FFVIII was the last one that I actually enjoyed on a general scale. FFIX never appealed to me at all, FFX sucked, FFX-2 I won't touch after FFX sucked, FFXI was online only... blah. Not a happy chappy, nope. Oh well, in time.

Baloki
10-04-2004, 02:32 PM
I'm still waiting for them to get round to making some showable results on the whole restructuring the European department, so far all thats happened is they made an FF 11 site, OMG how wow :lol:

Ouch!
10-06-2004, 01:20 AM
I guess I feel this way because Square could never crank things out this quickly. It's a huge jump, and well, it scares me a bit.

What bothers me the most is the release dates. They don't want the games to compete, so they space the releases. That's not cool, 'cause that means it'll take forever for all of these to be released.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-06-2004, 01:54 AM
Well, it would take even longer if they were all developed separately.

DJZen
10-06-2004, 07:08 AM
Would you rather buy all of these games at the same time? They know what they're doing. I personally am feeling annoyed at how addictive RPGs are because they take forever and a day to complete. I like that they're at least giving me time to breathe in between releases.

master01
10-08-2004, 06:20 AM
one thing for shure, this year, i'll end up with butterflys in my pocket, and fried cats as my main dish. (long story short- i'll have no money left.)

there is pepole who still remember square from the old days of FFI (not origens, I as the first ever!) and how luckily they got from one men gourge compeny to FFVII, VIII, and IX that made them tons of money, and X that was extremly populer. now, square's tring new things. and complete games. now that they have the money to do so. so they're do like, what, 17 games and a movie.