PDA

View Full Version : Vlad the Impaler

Chris
10-01-2004, 12:57 AM
Vlad Tepes - The Impaler
The order of the Dracul is a Dragon

Born: 1431

Vocation: Prince, or voivode, of Wallachia in modern-day Romania, for seven years during the mid 1400s.

Favorite Self-Picked Nickname: Vlad Draculea, or Vlad the Devil's Son.

Favorite Nickname of Others: Vlad the Impaler (given to him after his death).

Died: 1476. Killed during a battle, either by an enemy combatant, by mistake by his own troops, or by a hired assassin.Was Dracula, the blood-drinking, shape-shifting, coffin-sleeping vampire, based on an actual person? Legend has it that the Bram Stoker, the 19th century author who created the vampire character of Count Dracula, modeled him after the historical figure of Vlad the Impaler, a 15th century prince of Wallachia, in modern-day Romania. Was Vlad a vampire?
Even while Vlad was alive, his reputation for cruelty was widespread throughout Europe and in the Ottoman Empire. Vlad controlled his region strictly, and treated his enemies mercilessly. Villagers who refused to pay his taxes, competitors who tried to overthrow his rule, and invading forces met with a broad variety of brutal punishments, including the impaling that he was famous for. Eventually, he became known as Vlad Tepes, or Vlad the Impaler.

So where did the name Dracula come from? Vlad’s father, also called Vlad, was its originator. When the King of Hungary made him a knight of the Order of the Dragon, father Vlad added Dracul to his name, which means “dragon” but also “devil.” Vlad junior liked this name so much he called himself Vlad Draculea, to mean the Devil’s son. Later, the nickname was distorted to Dracula.

Despite his cruelty, which some say was no worse than any other European tyrant, Vlad was not a vampire. In fact, there is no evidence Bram Stoker did much research on Vlad the Impaler for his book. And there is no evidence Vlad drank blood.

If that’s the case, where did the connection between Vlad the Impaler and Count Dracula come from? Not from Bram Stoker. Stoker’s novel never mentions the name Vlad although his papers indicate he knew about the historical prince known as Dracul, hence the name of his character. The flawed connection between Vlad and Count Dracula came much later after the novel was published, as historians uncovered more information about Vlad’s life, and Hollywood did the rest to fuse fact and fiction.

Shlup
10-01-2004, 01:28 AM
What, pray, is the point of this thread?

Leeza
10-01-2004, 01:33 AM
I believe that Chris wants us to discuss Dracula and vampires. I think I seen on the Knowledge Network or something that Vlad actually did drink the blood of his victims. Vlad wasn't a real vampire, of course, he was just a very bad person, but Bram Stoker used this as a starting point for his story on Dracula. It must have been pretty terrible living in the 15th century with people like Vlad around.

Shlup
10-01-2004, 01:47 AM
Yeah, I've seen drawings of Vlad's fields of corpses on pikes. Not a nice fellow. We read the book and wrote papers on this topic in my freshman English class.

He's ugly too.

square_is_the_best
10-01-2004, 02:55 AM
HHEEEY! We did a a presentation on mortal heroes and mystics. I did Gilgamesh and someone else did Vlad. There, just wanted to say that.

Del Murder
10-01-2004, 03:10 AM
Vlad better not impale the A's pitching this weekend.

Meat Puppet
10-01-2004, 03:16 AM
I saw a wax figure of him in Ripley's Believe It or Not on the Gold Coast :spin:

But I didn't read it. I thought he was a classy looking fellow, something about being a vampire but I was more interested with the fat guy.

White Raven
10-01-2004, 04:43 AM
I think that this is a thread aboot how Chris is a vampire and that he's come to the forum to suck...

...our blood...

Thunday Man
10-02-2004, 02:53 AM
For all those Castlevanis fans out there..

Dracula backwards = Alucard

Del Murder
10-02-2004, 06:03 AM
Vlad better not impale the A's pitching this weekend.
:(

Besimudo
10-04-2004, 03:07 AM
Firstly, I hope that this is not the product of 'VTDA'....

Vampires existed in proto-Russian mythologies after the collapse of Greece and prior to the Christian Establishment in Europe. The 'pagan' myths were carried over into the Christian superstition.

I must say, this would be (if continued) an interesting point of discussion... anyone care to ameliorate?

o_O
10-04-2004, 10:48 AM
If Vlad Tepes really drank blood, he'd be a bit of an idiot, as blood in the stomach induces vomiting, naturally. He wouldn't be able to keep his victims' blood down unless he replaced his stomach lining with wax. Or something. :rolleyes2

Polaris
10-04-2004, 10:53 AM
I've read that dracula didn't drink blood he ate on the bodies of people and he was very violent and cruel and he was cursed lots of times... and when he died his body desapeared of the graveyard, years after he was burried there... the drinking blood stuff is just a scary story to scare the childrens... and if he drinked blood believe me after you drink just a little you'll get sick...

FreaQaZoiD
10-04-2004, 11:03 AM
I think that this is a thread aboot how Chris is a vampire and that he's come to the forum to suck...

...our blood...

:love: aboot :love:

~~~Hehehehe xP - FreaQ