PDA

View Full Version : any one know?

Sacred Phoenix
10-01-2004, 01:03 AM
Does any one know why this would happen? For about three weeks I was arguing with my computer because that low disk space bubble kept poping up saying i had 91 mb left and I need 200mb blah blah blah. So any ways i moved what I could and ended up with a wopping 152mb free, still not enough. However i got on my computer today and Mr. Bubble didn't pop up and now I have 400 mb free. Now I am not complainig, I was just curious to where the free space came from. Any one know?

Samuraid
10-01-2004, 01:23 AM
If you are using windows XP or ME, it is probably because windows system restore automatically removed a few old restore points.

System restore FAQ: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/faqsrwxp.mspx

Rostum
10-01-2004, 02:46 AM
Get a bigger hard drive. =D

Baloki
10-01-2004, 09:50 AM
And now for an odd windows feature called Virtual memory.

Yes folks this feature stops your computer from crashing if you run out of ram, it uses slower hard disc space as ram taking up of course hard disc space. This cannot be disabled, and to make the best use of this and your windows system it is strongly recommended you try and keep 600mb's of space free at all times :D

crono_logical
10-01-2004, 12:21 PM
Actually, you can disable it, and it's pretty nice to do so too when you have plenty of RAM (1 GB or more) but don't run lots of RAM eating programs at the same time, since it increases responsiveness of the computer :p