PDA

View Full Version : Anime vs. Nicklodeon vs. Old School Cartoons

Loony BoB
10-01-2004, 12:13 PM
And when I say Old School, I don't mean ancient, so cut your Mickey Mouse crap. I'm talking about Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Denver The Last Dinosaur, COPS, Dinosaucers, Thundercats, He-Man, stuff like that. And then along came Nicklodeon and then along came the parading of Anime, beginning with Sailor Moon (which is sort of Old School, as it was so far back, but hey, it's still Anime) and then all the stuff like Pokémon and Digimon and Love Hina (?) and whatever the hell else they have. Nicklodeon is all the Rugrats and, uh, I don't really know what else, I never really watched too much of it.

Anyway. Go Transfomers. Not to mention Inspector Gadget. Cartoons were so much cooler back then, I can't stand the massive influx of crappy quality cartoons these days.

So, which do you prefer? Why is it better? Yadda yadda yadda.

Meat Puppet
10-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Dinoriders :excited:

Polaris
10-01-2004, 12:43 PM
Now anime there is Pokemon 1,2,3,4,5 and I don't know if there sis a six so we get tired of it very often... but they don't stop to be good animes and I don't miss old cartoons, I like anime just the way it is now (altough I miss X-Men)... :cry:

Imperia
10-01-2004, 01:44 PM
I love both anime, and the old school cartoons. IMO, they are the better shows.

Agent Proto
10-01-2004, 01:55 PM
Yes.

There are bad old school cartoon, bad anime, and also bad Nickolodeon, but they each have good ones to watch. I can't really pick only one, so I chose... Yes.

Xander
10-01-2004, 03:47 PM
Old school cartoons were the best =) Just because..I dont know..memories! But I like a few Nickolodean shows too. And some anime. What I CAN'T stand, is the horrible 3D cartoons now, like, I don't even know the names of them but they're on C5 over here and they look ugly and suck.

fire_of_avalon
10-01-2004, 03:47 PM
I just like cartoons period. Goofy or artistic or slapstick or philosophical. Cartoons are win. So I voted yes, though lately I watch more anime than other forms of cartoons.

Cz
10-01-2004, 08:53 PM
Now the Denver The Last Dinosaur tune is stuck in my head, burning its way into the very centre of my brain. :(

Nevertheless, 'old-school' cartoons are the best. I never really got into Anime, and some of the Nickelodeon shows are just downright embarassing to watch at times. There are good shows in every category, but old-school wins, as these shows can be watched even today, and still provide entertainment value. Being able to stand the test of time is one of the hardest things for a TV show to do, and I can't see some of the current popular shows doing that.

Transformers Armada is sucky, though.

Loony BoB
10-01-2004, 09:20 PM
Now the Denver The Last Dinosaur tune is stuck in my head, burning it's way into the very centre of my brain. :(
I have the mp3 for it. :D

Zifnab
10-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Old school, all the way. I occasionally look at cartoons today and they're just special 3D effects with loud noises and flashy lights. Maybe entertaining for kids, but I can see how the quality has dropped.

I liked some of Nikelodeon's stuff, like Rocko's Modern Life. But back when I watched it they repeated stuff <i>all the time</i> so I soon got sick of their shows. If I never see another episode of Rude Dog and the Dweebs...

Anime is pretty good. I can enjoy it more at the age I am now over the rest of the options. I just get annoyed with how out of place some of the voices are. I don't like subtitles really as it draws my attention from the animation, but dubs have a tendancy to be awful. I also notice general lazyness, like how some episodes have a lot of people with hands over their mouths, or shots of the back of their head while they're talking.

aeris2001x2
10-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Anime 4 sure. Its Animation genrally pays far more attention to detail and is genrally far more beautiful...even the childish Anime. Yeah the motion rate is far lower in many cases...but that means nothing to me.

The only old school cartoons or Western cartoons that come close to top Anime is Disney classics, Gargoyles and top quality comedy like simpsons and family guy.

Thats just my opinion though. Go Anime! :love:

Dingo Jellybean
10-02-2004, 01:16 AM
Old school. Nic and Anime are pretty much garbage.

I mean TMNT, X-Men, Transformers, even Charlie Brown and Garfield. I remember those shows so much, I can't imagine my childhood without them.

Jebus
10-02-2004, 01:49 AM
Transformers own your face.

Now I've got the Inspector Gadget theme stuck in my head.

Do do do do do inspector gadget, do do do do do do.

aeris2001x2
10-02-2004, 01:51 AM
no...the evil old school tosh must be defeated by glorious Anime lol :D .

Del Murder
10-02-2004, 01:54 AM
Old school sucka.

aeris2001x2
10-02-2004, 02:09 AM
Anime is divine. *brainwashes everyone 2 vote anime from now on*

Lindy
10-02-2004, 02:53 AM
...Anime is just plain bad. I mean, if you want emotion, go watch something with real people you can relate to, not to a cartoon.

Old school cartoons, but then Powerpuff girls and Fairly Odd Parents fall into rather new, but thankfully, they're Cartoon Network and not Nickowhuteva.

aeris2001x2
10-02-2004, 03:00 AM
*must destroy Lindy for such blasphemy* :p lol. Each to their own :) .

kikimm
10-02-2004, 03:13 AM
A while ago, it would have been Nickoldodean (sp? whatever), but recently...it's been anime. After seeing aeris2001x2 so enthusiastic about it all, it kind of got me started. (thanks. :rolleyes2 ..... :p ) So now, I'm hooked. To manga, as well. Old, 80s manga is what I'm reading now.

IMO, old school cartoons are bad. I've never liked them, even when they were "new"-ish. I don't like the humor that's in a lot of them, or the plots. The only thing I liked were the Muppet Babies (if that's considered old school) when I was 5 or 6.

:D

Shoeberto
10-02-2004, 03:30 AM
Old school is radical, dude!

Dingo Jellybean
10-02-2004, 03:36 AM
Oh man, don't forget Duck Tales and Chip N' Dales. Oh man, those were the shit.

Don't forget about Aladdin, that was a great cartoon. Sonic(the Paramount one, not the CBS one) The Hedgehog was good too. I remember the Paramount version once had like, 100 straight new episodes. How many shows in any era do that? None.

Not sure if you can count Spider-Man, that was a bit late. Oh yeah, Tiny Toons...and not to mention those Warner Bros specials they use to have on CBS that were an hour long. Oh man, cartoons these days are total garbage. Pokemon use to be good, but went sour after too many stupid repetitions and reincarnations.

Loony BoB
10-02-2004, 06:32 AM
Oh man, Tiny Toons. That show was Godly at one point. *dink* "I hit the bally!" *dink* "I hit the bally!" *dink* "I hit the bally! The baaaaaaall go dowwwwwn the hooooooole... hole in one!"

"Look Daddyyyyyyyyy, it's blimp!"

That little subepisode was one of the greatest cartoon things ever.

Armisael
10-02-2004, 04:25 PM
aeris2001x2 said it all for me..

gokufusionss1
10-02-2004, 07:37 PM
nothing is better than Transformers, danger mouse and m.m.m.m.MASK they took me too a happy place and left me there to play.
http://www.southmanchesterreporter.co.uk/ContentResources/P_2_2_Chorlton_NN_TheImage.jpg

Craig
10-02-2004, 08:59 PM
I don't watch cartoons often but when I do i'm watching Fairly Odd Parents and Sponge Bob Squarepants on Nickelodeon.

edczxcvbnm
10-02-2004, 11:16 PM
Old school. You can't beat the classics. I would watch the flinstones, jetsons, looney toons, tom & jerry, Transformers and all that other stuff over any thing else today. The other channels may have a good show or 2 but if I had to choose between an old school channel, nick or anime. Old school would take them to school!

krissy
10-03-2004, 12:21 AM
motor biker mice from mars

Cz
10-03-2004, 10:28 AM
motor biker mice from mars
xD. That show was the product of a deranged imagination.

Peegee
10-03-2004, 10:54 AM
Denver, the last dinosaur. He's my friend and a whole lot more

I don't know any other lines :(

I like nick. I like anime. I don't universally like old-school stuff. Sure thinking back to shows like James Bond Jr, Cpt. Planet, and that Peter Pan cartoon is nice, but if we were to watch it NOW, we would be laughing ourselves wet, and not because the show is entertaining, but because it's so haphazardly unbelievable.

Example: I saw an episode of Thundercats like at least four years ago in Florida. It was this bizarre episode where the two children ran off and visited Mum'ra's lair or something. Utterly unentertaining and bizarre. If the show has better episodes, I would probably find something wrong with it, either plot wise or sensibility-wise. Cpt. Planet victimises the planet, and paints 'polluters' as evil beings bent on polluting the world. James Bond Jr. teaches kids to lust after women..which isn't that bad I guess :p

Transformers bothers me all the time, with its rampant anthropomorphism. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Pokemon are no different in their plot development. And so forth. The 'classics' may be classics, but they aren't 'better' than anything we have now. Frankly since it was 'back then', odds are it was worse, considering the 80's were filled with market share wars. For good cartoons, watch the Flintstones, which btw also has very little character growth, but at least it is very entertaining.

I don't know what I'm talking about

Loony BoB
10-03-2004, 11:35 AM
If you only consider television that is believable to be entertaining, I feel sorry for you. Cartoons are a way of expressing imagination, and imagination should be encouraged. TV shows us things we can't see in real life and that's why people watch it. Excluding illogical fantasy and science fiction from TV would be the death of cartoons.

EDIT: http://members.aol.com/babynewyear1983/denver.html

Chzn8r
10-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Old school in reference to WB stuff like Merry Melodies & Loony Tunes, and MGM stuff like Tom & Jerry, Droopy, etc.

They will never be surpassed.

Aurey
10-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Old school.

Loony Tunes 4eva.