PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy IIIIII

Jolts
10-01-2004, 03:04 PM
I got tired of not knowing what everybody else is talking about when it comes to FFVI, and have decided to finally play through the entire game. However, I just recently started, and I'm only at the part where you first leave Narshe (that's the name, right?) and are on your way to Figaro.
I've played the game a few times before, I just never got very far. The farthest I can remember being is playing through Sabin and Terra's split-section part (where you decide which one to go to first). So anything after that is completely new to me.

I already know about the Lete River loop trick (for leveling up a lot so early) and the Vanish trick, but other than those, any tips?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-01-2004, 03:09 PM
Edgar is, after all, the King of Figaro, so if you have him at the head of your party, the merchants in Figaro Castle will only charge 50% of their normal prices.

Braindead_Paul
10-01-2004, 03:23 PM
There are many useful tips in the FF6 section of EoFF.
Right here: http://www.eyesonff.com/ff6/tips.shtml

And DO NOT forget to learn Mogs Water Rondo in the WoB and to wait for Shadow! Otherwise you won't have them in the WoR.

Jolts
10-01-2004, 03:40 PM
About Shadow. Does he actually join you, or do you have to keep "hiring" him? In other words, does he always leave you after a while, like he does if you get him while playing Sabin's quest?

Flying Mullet
10-01-2004, 03:59 PM
About Shadow. Does he actually join you, or do you have to keep "hiring" him? In other words, does he always leave you after a while, like he does if you get him while playing Sabin's quest?
Shadow will eventually join your party, but you have to wait for him on the Floating Continent to get him in the WOR.

Necronopticous
10-01-2004, 04:08 PM
What the hell is that Kappa the Imp thing? I never heardof that.... is it actually true, or just a rumor?
Well, it's sort of both... Here's the thing: There is Imp gear that is useless unless you're an Imp, then it becomes pretty good. People started purposely transforming into an imp and equipping them with this gear and realized it makes a pretty damn good character. Because of this, people started calling that character Kappa, although there is no reference to that name in the game, unless you put it in.

Jolts
10-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Isn't Kappa a demon of the sea in Japan (or something)? Or am I completely wrong?

m4tt
10-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Isn't Kappa a demon of the sea in Japan (or something)? Or am I completely wrong?
Not in this game. In this game he's the guy that explain's Gau's rages to you.

Flying Mullet
10-01-2004, 05:46 PM
But in Japanese folklore there is a mythical Kappa creature. Kishi knows all the details and even put it in an old thread, but it's been pruned.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-01-2004, 07:30 PM
I could tell you all about what a kappa is, but suffice to say that "Kappa the Imp" is a redundant phrase. Kappa isn't a personal name but rather a name for an entire species, so when "Kappa" shows up to explain Gau's rages to you, it's intended to mean "a kappa," not "this imp guy named Kappa." However, every other instance of the word "kappa" in the game was changed to "imp" so American players wouldn't have to worry about what a kappa was; unfortunately, leaving that one instance unaltered gave them the idea that "Kappa" was a unique name. "Kappa" and "imp" both refer to the same type of creature, so "Kappa the Imp" makes as much sense as "Feline the Cat."

Jolts
10-02-2004, 09:26 AM
That's just like with "The Masamune," which doesn't exist. Masamune was a blacksmith who made katanas and whatnot and crap and stuff (I don't have the whole story, but I"m a lot of you already know what I'm talking about...).

Also, the Phantom Train part, there's a ghost that you can temporarily have in your party, can it ever be a permanent member?

Strider
10-02-2004, 09:38 AM
To the ghost question, no, it can't. Any ghost in your party will leave once you reach the engine on the Phantom Train.

To the original question, it will be an immense help to you if you have Sabin learn Fire Dance before you finish his scenario. I don't know how far you are now, and I don't want to give anything away, so just keep that in mind. Fire Dance = luv.

Along those lines, it will also help you to find Templar on the Veldt and have Gau learn that guy's Rage. It's the best one you can get early in the game.

Also, if you didn't know about it, in Locke's scenario there is a hidden staircase a short distance from where you first meet Celes. When you descend into the cellar from the gusty room in the mansion, keep going straight down the path and into the black until you can't anymore, and then right. Among the goodies you'll find is a RunningShoes, which provide Haste and are very nifty.

If you missed it, don't worry. You can go back whenever and get the goods then.

Mo-Nercy
10-02-2004, 09:44 AM
I thought that Masamune was both the sword and the blacksmith that forged the sword. And that japanese blacksmiths often named their weaponry after themselves. There's the story of the Masamune and the Murasame and how the former repels leaves flowing down a stream while the latter attracts them and meanly slices them up.

And with Shadow, he'll just do that disappearing thing on you for a while in the World of Balance. When you hit World of Ruin, he won't leave you again. Just remember to wait for him when you're at the Floating Continent instead of ditching him and jumping back to the airship pre-emptively.

Jolts
10-02-2004, 10:35 AM
Masamune Story (http://www.classicgaming.com/castlevania/myth/sotnweaponmyth.htm) (you'll have to scroll down or search with CTRL+F)
Masamune was a sword maker...in fact, if you have enough money, you could possibly buy a Masamune, the same way you could buy a Stradivarius violin. The Masamune of legend is said to have contended with Muramasa, another sword maker. They both made a sword, Masamune and Muramasa, and they were both excelent blades. They were put to a test: the blades were stood in a stream...leaves floating on the river's surface all flocked to the Muramasa and were cut in half by it, while leaves all floated around the Masamune. It is for that reason that the Masamune was called the holy sword, because while it could do violence, its power was in avoiding it, while Muramasa attracted violence like a magnet
These people seem to know what they're talking about. So, yeah...