PDA

View Full Version : "Get on with it"

Rainecloud
10-01-2004, 06:57 PM
When you're suffering from an illness, do you "get on with it" (IE - your job), or do you take the day off to recover?

Please discuss. Thanks.

Flying Mullet
10-01-2004, 06:59 PM
I'm a total wuss when it comes to being sick. I love nothing more than to sink under the covers and throw in a good movie/video game and relax.

m4tt
10-01-2004, 07:02 PM
I'm a total wuss when it comes to being sick. I love nothing more than to sink under the covers and throw in a good movie/video game and relax.

Yup yup. I hate moving when I'm sick.

SeeDRankLou
10-01-2004, 07:11 PM
I have to be pretty incapacitated for an illness to stop me from doing something. If I'm contagious, then I won't go to work or out or anything, but I'll still like clean the house or go for a walk or something. Really the only thing that keeps me at home in bed is a 100+ degree fever. If I'm vomiting, I'll just take a shot of Fenadryn and be done with it. It's always been my experience that Immodium AD works in one dose. Claritin D always clears up my allergies. I'm a big Sudafed (sp?) user when it comes to colds, it always works for me. And if I need it, I work in a medical facility and am privvy to prescription drugs, I just need to talk to a doctor.

Bomber
10-01-2004, 07:18 PM
It depends on the severity of the illness. If it's just a mild case of the sniffles, I can usually continue on with my daily routine. If it's a full-fledged flu bug, I'm usually down and out for at least a day.

I don't get sick very often, but when I get it, I get it BAD!!

Cz
10-01-2004, 09:08 PM
I heart your title, Raine. :D

I try and milk the illness as much as possible, and attempt to get the day off. It doesn't work very often, though, so I end up working while ill anyway.

Psychotic
10-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Depends how ill I am. I've had a cold which I am sure is SARS this week but that didn't stop me getting on with "it", but the flu will take me down :(

Loony BoB
10-01-2004, 09:15 PM
Depends on how bad the illness is and how much work there is to be done. I don't trust people to cover for me without screwing up, so I avoid taking a day off entirely. I often just end up working from home, since I can access 90% of the stuff I do via the internet.

fire_of_avalon
10-01-2004, 09:20 PM
I get on with it.

Zifnab
10-01-2004, 09:57 PM
I usually get on with it. I'd rather not, but if there's a responsibility needed from me I feel I have to keep taking part.

Craig
10-01-2004, 10:11 PM
I stayed home when I was at school but i've only been ill once since I left, around the time I started college I wanted to go in for my first day but I was puking on the morning, if the illness wasn't so bad i'd probably go in for work because if I don't i'm not payed.. but if I couldnt be bothered then it'd give me a good excuse.

Denmark
10-01-2004, 11:10 PM
I stay home even if I'm a little sick. :D

Triple T
10-01-2004, 11:18 PM
Just to feel safe I take a day or three off from school to recover. :) But then again, I hardly get sick in the first place. =/

Sacred Phoenix
10-01-2004, 11:34 PM
It depends on what I have to do that day. Say if I had a thirty page essay due, and it was worth a huge amount to my final mark, and the teacher was a real ass, the i would go to school. But since i barely ever get sick, i would milk it for all it was worth.

Del Murder
10-02-2004, 02:13 AM
One summer I had my wisdom teeth removed and went back to work after one day. There has only been one time where I was too sick to work. It was a terrible stomach virus that lasted a week, but I was still able to show up to one of my jobs (I had two at the time) on the days I wasn't puking my guts out. If I'm breathing I'll go, because you eventually get better and being behind and loss of pay lasts longer.

o_O
10-02-2004, 03:44 AM
I rarely take time off school, regardless of how bad the illness is.

I do, however <i>have</i> to take time off work if I'm sick, for I'm a chef. :p

kikimm
10-02-2004, 03:49 AM
That all depends....if I think the day's going to be a good one/something exciting's happening/I don't want to miss out on something, then nothing will hold me back (except projectile vomit, maybe. Isn't it lovely?). But if I'm in a bad mood, or I know my friends aren't going to be there, or something school-related even, then I'm out. I'll curl up in my bed, and read all day, or I might even move out of my room to play video games. Maybe.

It all depends.

:D