PDA

View Full Version : Handouts

Calliope
10-02-2004, 08:10 AM
I spent about three or four hours today handing out anti-battery farming fliers with a group of trendy lefties.

Do you take fliers from people who are handing them out on the street? I take them from people advertising stuff because I know it sucks when people refuse to even read your material, when you're just trying to get a job done, but if an obviously religious person tries to hand me something, I now just say "God Bless!" and walk off, giggling slightly.

Del Murder
10-02-2004, 08:16 AM
At school there was a path where everyone went to hand out flyers, right on the way to everything. I used to grab the first one and be 'deeply engrossed' in it to avoid all the rest, and then promplty disposing of it in the trash. Now I just pretend to be looking at/fixing my watch.

Loony BoB
10-02-2004, 08:42 AM
I just don't take them. It's quite easy to just walk on by. If they throw it at me or something, they could get a £50 for littering and that's something that they should keep in mind when they take on such responsibilities.

Calliope
10-02-2004, 08:49 AM
Every once in a while I'd drop a leaflet and be all 'aaaaaaaaah!' and hop down the road after it whilst holding a big placard and a bunch of other leaflets I was trying not to drop too xD

Rinoabella
10-02-2004, 10:11 AM
I pretend the stuff I'm already carrying is taking up both hands and is really heavy.

So I don't take ANY handouts whatsoever because they are a waste of paper and money. Unless they have cool designs or are free vouchers of some sort that I would plan on using.

Peegee
10-02-2004, 11:01 AM
I do it if I'm slack with my avoidance procedure: putting my hands in my pockets.

FreaQaZoiD
10-02-2004, 11:30 AM
This is a really good one-

A) As your're walking by a flyer-hander-outer, reach for the pamphlet/flyer/waste of paper/potential litter with the hand which has a wristwatch on it.

B) As the person lets go, let go at the same time, taking care to check your wristwatch while whistling nonchalantly.

C) Walk away. The scores will be - You : 1 / Someone else : 0

~~~FreaQ

Psychotic
10-02-2004, 11:38 AM
I've never had that done to me. Now I'm upset. :whimper:

Now I need a technique to deal with such an occasion...um...
OK I GOT IT! I'll stop, slowly look down at the leaflet, then slowly look back up at the person, then slowly look down at the leaflet, then slowly back up at the person, then jump up in the air and yell "WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" and hurl the leaflet in the air too. Then say "Have a great day, Jeremy", smile, and calmly walk off.

Hmm...not bad. Now I really want someone to do that to me!

Rainecloud
10-02-2004, 12:03 PM
I say "No Thanks" and continue on walking. Unfortunately, these evil flyer-hand-outer people have devious ways of making you take their material. After hearing their desperate pleas, I usually end up feeling guilty - which leads me to take their stupid pieces of paper. I always throw them in the bin afterwards, though.

'Tis an awfully big waste of paper, methinks.

Doomgaze
10-02-2004, 07:31 PM
I walk by, confident in my knowledge that they are the scum of the earth and have a special circle in hell reserved especially for them, right next to that Nigerian guy who wants to give me 30 million dollars.

theundeadhero
10-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Walk right by them flapping my arms and going " I feel like chickin tonight!" It's pretty funny to see some of their reactions. Try it.

kikimm
10-02-2004, 08:10 PM
I usually try to avoid all eye contact with them, but that doesn't usually work, as they're pushy people. So I take it, pretend to read it, mumble something incoherent, walk away, crumble it up, and throw it.....somewhere. It if ends up back at them, it's not my problem.

:D

Shoyku
10-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Having them shot on sight and then putting all their fliers into a recycling bin makes me feel like I'm contributing a lot to society.

eestlinc
10-02-2004, 09:09 PM
doesn't happen to me so much, except at the grocery store HERE TAKE MY COUPONS FREE SAMPLE and sometimes I take what they have and talk.

Logan
10-03-2004, 12:48 AM
If somebody hands me a flier, I usually take it, but then I throw it away.

Yamaneko
10-03-2004, 02:59 AM
"I hate Jesus / hate the environment / hate third-parties / hate you".

Xander
10-03-2004, 02:01 PM
When I first visited London, I was taking them all, cos I was like "wow, this is such a London thing", as it never happened much around where I live xD But there it was like somebody on every side of you handing them out, and after a while I realised it got annoying and most of it didn't interest me. However, I still try and be polite, and say "no, thank you" rather than just ignoring them.

Meat Puppet
10-03-2004, 02:05 PM
Only ones I've ever gotten are ones advertising some perverted metal band who are playing at the Grand Hotel on Saturday night, and the flyer is valid for a half price ticket. I wish I could pawn it off :(

Wuggly Blight
10-03-2004, 03:00 PM
They all dont bug me... I have this special thing going I guess... I dont even get bothered by the hobo's.

Lindy
10-03-2004, 08:06 PM
When I first visited London, I was taking them all, cos I was like "wow, this is such a London thing", as it never happened much around where I live xD But there it was like somebody on every side of you handing them out, and after a while I realised it got annoying and most of it didn't interest me. However, I still try and be polite, and say "no, thank you" rather than just ignoring them.
You only stopped taking them because I told you to stop.

And Tom told you to stop too.

Maxico
10-03-2004, 08:37 PM
There our thousands of those people in london. And the only benifit I got from them is the news that a subway had opened in hammersmith. I nearly kissed that guy.

fire_of_avalon
10-04-2004, 12:05 AM
If I'm interested in what they have to say, I take it. If not, I tell them it's not my cup of tea and go on my way. If later, I don't want the flyer, I put it in the recycling bin.

If you're at a college/university (at least in the US) there is NO reason not to recycle them. Ohh, you might have to carry it all the way to class? Wah.

Shlup
10-04-2004, 12:37 AM
I generally take 'em, read 'em, and toss 'em in the rubbish bin. Right-o.

StarlightAngel
10-04-2004, 12:58 AM
I take. I toss. Simple as that.

Dr Unne
10-04-2004, 01:28 AM
At college people would get paid to hand them out. Mostly starving students would do it to pay for food or shelter. Pretty sure they got paid according to how many they handed out, so I'd usually take them if it was someone my age handing them out. If it was someone older, or someone crazy-looking, I'd walk past without making eye contact. My friend would take one from anyone, walk straight to the nearest trash can (in view of the person who just handed it to him) and throw it away. I'd never do something quite THAT rude, but it's pretty rude to force someone to take your fliers in the first place.

o_O
10-04-2004, 11:55 AM
I get a few advertising underground bands in my area, which I take, because I like going to underground gigs. :p

Iceglow
10-06-2004, 04:30 PM

lol quite cute really yet the end of the matter is in London theyre every 2 steps of the road and plainly annoying more than ever anything helpful. its like the anti war protests they blocked up most of the city and yet at the end of the day its just an annoyance to the people who live there not the government and anyone with sense knows the government doesn't give a crap if they want to go to war they'll go to war.