PDA

View Full Version : Fanatics' Tower

Remnant
10-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Sorry in advance for the length, I like to give a good description of the situation.

I recently stormed the Fanatics' Tower, which was quite an experience. This being my first time through the game, I lack much of the elegance or tricks a veteran might have used, and thus, I blugeoned my way to the top with Celes, Terra, Strago, and Relm, after spending a good deal of time learning spells and leveling just those four in the Phoniex cave.

I plowed my way through with lots of bolt 3s, reflects, the better part of 99 potions and 99 tinctures, and unhealthy amounts of resorting to Ultima to blast away my problems.

Early on, much to my dismay, I believe on the second screen up, I ran into a wizard type using reflect. (a problem I again solved without grace by hitting him with X zone). I believe it was a lvl. 20 magic encountered with lvl 30 magics. Later, I began to encounter lvl. 90 magics, which tended to often get reflect during our fight. In an attempt to conserve magic points, I tried using dispel to get rid of reflect, but to no avail- I ended up wasting a character's turn testing the reflect with a weak spell (fire, cure, etc.)- so again, I resulted to forcing my way through with espers and ultima.

So, finally reaching the top, and getting layed out by the boss's parting shot (and realizing finally why the spell life 3 is a very good thing), I expect to recieve the somewhat customary teleport out of a hard dungeon. Wrong again. So, since you can't use warp in the tower for some awful reason, I was left no recourse other than to magically brawl my way back down the entire tower. (at this point, I as a player was exhausted, and usually, frequently, and probably often needlessly resorted to the magical napalm strike that is ultima, paired with the gem box I just "found" on Terra and Celes).

So, what I had expected to be an easy battle, a mere crushing under the metaphorical heels of my level 52 magic users (everyone else in the party sitting around 45, as I had leveled the casters for just this purpose), which had gone in fully stocked on potions and tinctures, instead was one of the more challenging, aggrivating affairs of my RPG carreer.

So, while I appreciate the sense of accomplishment I recieved (and the gem box, can't forget the gem box...) as well as the level of depravity necessary to devise such a magic-only-tower-and-we-like-to-cast-reflect dungeon, I would in the future probably like to have an easier time with it. Researching after the fact (because doing it before would have killed my sense of accomplishment) I keep hearing about a relic "moogle charm" or some such, though I don't believe I have it, and don't know where it is, what it does, or how it could make things easier. So, any information regarding this item would be appreciated.

Secondly, any other advice regarding the Fanatics' tower would be appreciated as well- I would like to storm it some day without having to resort to spells like X zone and Ultima.

Thanks for reading

(PS: Watching my whole party chanting and throwing spells back and forth, I couldn't help but think of those evil "wizard guys" from Outlaw Star, who continually chant some odd line over and over before casting a spell.)

Braindead_Paul
10-03-2004, 07:03 PM
1. The Moogle Charm can be found in the cave of Narshe right where Mog stood in the WoB. With the Moogle Charm equipped there are no random encounters so it's pretty useful.

2. Just cast reflect on one of your own characters and use your spells on him to hit "reflecting" enemies.

Doomgaze
10-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Wall Rings. Four of them. This works especially well against a single enemy, because you can cast, say, Fire3 on your entire party and hit the enemy 4 times (with a slightly weakened spell)

Mo-Nercy
10-04-2004, 12:15 AM
1. The Moogle Charm can be found in the cave of Narshe right where Mog stood in the WoB. With the Moogle Charm equipped there are no random encounters so it's pretty useful.
Way to ruin the moment for him.

The first time I played through the Fanatic's Tower, I didn't know about the Moogle Charm either so it took quite some time to do it. I uncursed the Cursed Shield as I was coming down though. xD

Flying Mullet
10-04-2004, 03:12 PM
Way to ruin the moment for him.

I keep hearing about a relic "moogle charm" or some such, though I don't believe I have it, and don't know where it is, what it does, or how it could make things easier. So, any information regarding this item would be appreciated.

Braindead_Paul didn't ruin anything, Remnant asked for any info on the Moogle Charm.

As to the Fanatics Tower, Doomgaze is right, four Wall Rings make it very easy. Also, if you don't feel like using a lot of magic, take Umaro with you and you can also have one of your characters berserk so that they will physically attack non-stop.