PDA

View Full Version : Pro Athletes and jail time

m4tt
10-05-2004, 03:49 PM
I was driving to work this morning and I heard that Jamal Lewis of the Baltimore Ravens (NFL team) has decided to pretty much admit he is guilty of illegal drug trafficing. Because of that, he'll have to spend jail time. Which is good, I think he deserves it. But here's what bugs me. He gets to finish the NFL season before he goes to jail. And all the NFL will do is give him a 2-4 week suspension. Doesn't that seem a little unfair? If your average junkie had been doing that he'd be in jail right away (after court and such). Not 4 months later. As far as I know, Lewis has already had a few hearings, so I think they should just throw him in there. Or the NFL should suspend him for the entire season and let him mope around. Teach him a lesson. Just because he's a "big name" in the NFL doesn't mean he should get away with things.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

Here's an article on espn that talks about it:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1895175

Agent Proto
10-05-2004, 05:50 PM
Would you feel the same if this was, let's say, someone on the Chargers?

Anyway, I agree. Athletes shouldn't be given these 'priviledges' to go to jail after a season. I believe they should serve their time immediately, even if that means they'll miss the season.

TheAbominatrix
10-05-2004, 07:56 PM
That's not surprising. Fame will get you out of a lot, especially when it comes to pro atheletes it seems. I skimmed the article... I'd rather Hunter Thompson write something about it in Hey Rube! and make it interesting.

It's bull, favoritism, and a mockery of the US judicial system... but there isnt anything we can do about it.

m4tt
10-05-2004, 08:00 PM
Would you feel the same if this was, let's say, someone on the Chargers?

Yes I would. :p Even if it was my favorite player in the freaking world LT, but I know he'd never do something like that.

edczxcvbnm
10-05-2004, 09:05 PM
He probably cut a deal so that if he claimed he was guilty then they would let him finish out the season.

Strider
10-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Well, if that isn't bad enough... have you guys heard about Leonard Little's deal?

He plays defensive end for the St. Louis Rams, and a year or two ago, he killed someone in a DUI accident. However, he was allowed to play the season, including the Super Bowl (which the Rams lost to New England), before going to serve jail time. Obviously, the victim's family was a bit peeved, but the NFL did suspend him for an extended period of time. Even so, that doesn't seem like nearly enough for killing someone. If that were you or I, we'd be spending a lot more than six or seven months in prison.

m4tt
10-05-2004, 09:48 PM
I never heard that one. Wow.. That is pretty messed up.

Strider
10-05-2004, 09:57 PM
I saw it on Outside the Lines. I hadn't heard about it, too, and I was pretty angry when I did.

And not just because I'm a 49ers fan.

Doc Sark
10-05-2004, 10:32 PM
This happens with English football stars as well. Lee Bowyer and Johnathan Woodgate were convicted in court of assualting an asian lad outside a Leeds nightclub. Both of them recieved fairly light punishments from the courts but they in contrast to the instances above, they were punished more seriously by the English F.A.

Rio Ferdinand famously missed a drugs test about oooh 8 months ago, actually the missed test was more like 10-11 months ago, while it wasn't a criminal offence, the F.A took the hard line with him and banned him for 8 months from all competetive football, including Euro 2004.

Roy Keane is charged at the moment with assaulting a 16 year old boy, it will only be a matter of time before he is sentenced....to community service at worst, just like Vinny Jones was for decking the postman. Aren't footballers fun?

Dingo Jellybean
10-07-2004, 02:11 AM
Yes I would. :p Even if it was my favorite player in the freaking world LT, but I know he'd never do something like that.

Unless you know Tomlinson personally, you don't know.

As far as pro athletes getting jail time, they have all the money in the world. They would pay the highest lawyer fees to get the least sentence(if any) possible. If any average Joe was in their position, I know they'd do the same, because if you're in jail, that money would be useless.

I never thought it was fair, but don't blame the athletes. Vote the politicians you want who can do something about this.

Kirobaito
10-07-2004, 03:07 AM
Though....LT spent several years in Fort Worth, and I've met him a few times (<3 :D!), and that guarantees that he is perfect.

Pro athletes have been getting off easy for years. There's no difference now than there ever was.

escobert
10-07-2004, 03:16 AM
I agree that it's stupid and as someone said they have lots of money to spend on lawyer and such.

sir_hotness
01-06-2006, 10:34 PM
i agree, how is letting him continue to play a punishment?

Madame Adequate
01-06-2006, 10:42 PM
As far as pro athletes getting jail time, they have all the money in the world. They would pay the highest lawyer fees to get the least sentence(if any) possible. If any average Joe was in their position, I know they'd do the same, because if you're in jail, that money would be useless.

The lightness of the sentence is one factor, but the thing which really annoys me, and it seems other people as well, is that these players are allowed to play and finish the season or whatever before serving their time.

That's entirely ridiculous. Would they let a scientist stay free until he had finished his research, for example? Or pretty much anybody not famous?

eestlinc
01-06-2006, 11:12 PM
please don't revive year old threads, especially when they make me think m4tt came back.