Dragoon Kain
10-06-2004, 02:05 AM
whats a good subjob for a dragoon?

Rostum
10-06-2004, 08:04 AM
WAR, THF?

Citizen Bleys
10-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Depends on what you're using it for. Early on, I like to sub WAR for the extra dmg, but later on, when I can't get a party because I'm a drg, I'm going to sub brd, not just because I love brd, but because every time I cast a song, the wyvern will heal me, and unlike any other magic, casting doesn't cost MP (or tools, in the case of ninjas)

You should take your own style of play into account. There are 3 different types of wyverns you can get, based on what subjob you choose.

Offensive Wyvern
Subjobs: WAR, MNK, BST, RNG, SAM, THF
These wyverns will attack using their breath weapon whenever you use a weapon skill, and have a good chance of discovering theh enemy's elemental weakness with their breath weapon. (i.e., against orcs, there's a good chance your bird will use water breath. This is more important in the dunes, when nobody has any lightning skills, and your bird can breathe lightning on snippers, which are weak only to ice and lightning)

Defensive Wyvern
Subjobs: WHM, BLM, RDM, SMN
These wyverns attack normally, but when you cast a spell, the wyvern will cast cure magic on the party and heal any status ailments that are present on you.

Balanced Wyvern
Subjobs: BRD, NIN, DRK, PLD
This is a cross between the two, and great for soloing. When you use a weapon skill, your wyvern will use its breath weapon, but has a significantly lower chance of discovering the enemy's elemental weakness. When you cast a spell (including bard song and ninjutsu), the wyvern will cure you (not the party, just you) and attempt to remove any status ailments

Dragoon Kain
10-08-2004, 12:56 AM
so would monk be a good subjob?

Garland
10-08-2004, 03:11 AM
Warrior is generally the best for all the same reasons warrior is a good sub for every melee job. Noone will mock you for choosing warrior. Samurai lets you raise TP faster, but its not so good as to outdo warrior as a sub. Thief only lets you sneak/trick attack. You can't do this till 60+, so I wouldn't bother with it for now. I'm not even sure it's worthwhile at 60+. Dragoons are best used as a trick partner for thieves, since superjump removes all hate. If you have a thief in your party, having sneak attack and such is rather redundant. Warrior is still better. Monk lets you counter and gives you more hp, but all the hand to hand bonuses are a waste. You'd still be better with warrior. Double attack is pretty much the same amount of attacks as counter, and you don't have to wait to be hit first. Warrior has no unnecessary job traits. None of the other melee jobs are even worth mentioning.

Of the magic subs, the only one I've heard any positive comments on is White mage. Healing breath is useful sometimes, and I guess it's very useful in really specific circumstances that people have set up. If you have to take a defensive sub for healing breath, you might as well take one that can cast a statusna spell or a very last resort cure now and then. Redmage and Paladin don't give you anything whm doesn't that you'd actually use.

Lionx
10-08-2004, 09:34 AM
DRG/WAR will fill all your general partying needs..after all as Garland said, what IS there to fault about WAR? All their skills are so generally needed for most melees, its just too good for the most part...THF i dont feel is good enough to lose Double Attack..its too good o.o

DRG/WHM post 60 for soloing is a-ok..your AF Helm helps you generate more heals when you are in orange hp rather that in red hp for the breath to activate. So a simple Dia will save your ass. But exp..WAR is better by far.

Stimpy141
10-24-2004, 03:38 AM
Whenever you're in an EXP party, sub warrior. Any other subjob on a Dragoon seems gimped and worthless in an EXP party to me.