PDA

View Full Version : NGE

Armisael
10-06-2004, 05:03 PM
Well like you all know-and if you didn't you'll find out soon- i'm a big fan of the divine anime Neon Genesis Evangelion..i was wondering how many of you have watched it and what do you think about it?

Heartless
10-07-2004, 01:48 PM
well i have watched it..actually we have watched it..and what can i say?there's no words to describe it..it's really very perfect..and all of it really has a meaning..
it's not a regular anime..i like it's religion meaning,its plot,its characters,they're all so well organised..everyone should really watch this..

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-07-2004, 01:57 PM
Eva has plenty of dumb parts and plot threads that are too vague to be any fun, but it's still pretty cool overall. I like how Anno was able to basically make the story up as he went along when everything seems so carefully calculated from the very first episodes, and how all the religious symbolism was just thrown in to make the series seem original among a plethora of other giant robot shows with identical themes (i.e. a team of robots battling monsters from beyond earth, a plucky young hero who has a strained relationship with his father, who built the robots he and his teammates pilot, etc), yet people treat it as being deep.

aeris2001x2
10-07-2004, 03:25 PM
Thats because it is so incrediably deep. Its funny how most of the books i study at university, so called *deep* literature of importance, does not touch the level EVA reaches.

In my opinion is deepness can easily hold its own(not defeat of course, but still hold its head high) against fantastic Shakespeare plays, genius books like 1984, A ClockWork Orange, Lolita(my fav novels :D ) and classic poetry like the Romantics and Miltons Paradise lost(of course, since EVA quotes it, and its the central theme is reflected in the quote).

As an Anime itself, it is top class. At first it was just another robot Anime. Yes it had some amazing segments, it would reach genius status 4 sure...but no more.

Then ep 14 kicked in, and the second half just took everything to an etheral plane.

The first half character development took on added significance, and the themes fleshed out in celestial dream sequences that i just loved. Yes, Shinji english VA was oftern really crappy, but the affect was never lost.

The raw power of ep 18-24, and the very interesting and unexpected end were sure to make EVA destined to top my charts.

And End of Evangelion would surely ensure it would never be usurped. Its not a true movie...but if it was, it would rank as number one without rival.

So, you can probably tell i like Evangelion :D . It has some firece competition though. It is ran close by Cowboy Bebop, loses to Samarui X (Kenshin) trust and Betrayal for artistic beauty and direction and still can not touch Gunbuster for raw emotion. So i will not say EVA is perfect.

But it is imho definitly the pinacle of Anime, and i really doubt it will ever be toppled. Long live Divinity........(How ironic, considering i,m an atheist :p ).

krissy
10-07-2004, 05:07 PM
i watched eps 1-4 and then i watched the last two and i throughout all this i didnt like it at all

LH
10-07-2004, 06:54 PM
I downloaded all the episodes and both movies a long while back, loved it, and then bought the box set. My only complaint is how dry it gets it some points. This makes it hard to understand a lot of what's going on (especially later on) because you have to watch it a few times.

kikimm
10-09-2004, 09:34 PM
I've been trying to buy the boxed set, or find some place to download it, but alas...I still haven't seen it. It looks good, though-that's the reason I've been trying to get my hands on it. Preferably for free. What? :shifty:

:D

Armisael
10-09-2004, 09:37 PM
well i think there are some sites where you can download anime-episodes but they're really very big..just think..usually one episode of anime is 200mb!

kikimm
10-09-2004, 09:43 PM
I know.;_; But I have room. :love: And if I don't, I'll make it. I've heard so much about this series, so I'm eager to check it out.

:D

Armisael
10-09-2004, 09:46 PM
just let me check it and i'll pm you kikimm..i like to tell people about Eva. :love:

Chzn8r
10-09-2004, 11:30 PM
NGE is brilliant, and one of the only Animes I like.

Lon611
10-10-2004, 02:58 AM
so far i've watched episodes 1-10 and it's very captivating, although i can't seem to get my hands on eps #11 :mad: is there a place i can download english eps of NGE?im currently watching the subtitled eps, and although i kno dubbed versions are horrible in NETHING, its hard watching NGE at like midnight reading the subtitles :(

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-10-2004, 04:46 AM
An excellent anime, one of my favorites. Though I must say my new addiction (see current sig) is rather good too.

aeris2001x2
10-12-2004, 10:52 PM
so far i've watched episodes 1-10 and it's very captivating, although i can't seem to get my hands on eps #11 :mad: is there a place i can download english eps of NGE?im currently watching the subtitled eps, and although i kno dubbed versions are horrible in NETHING, its hard watching NGE at like midnight reading the subtitles :(

Actually the dub is pretty good, much better then the usual dubs. The only thing is many of the VA have bad moments(mainly Shinji) but they dont take way how good the Anime is.

Damn i just realised i have not bought the directors cut dvds
:eek: . Must buy now!!!

edczxcvbnm
10-12-2004, 11:15 PM
I have seen it and it is cool until you start to think about it too much. When you start to think too much plot holes and crap come up and the series is taken down a serious peg or two.

I am watch RahXephon right now and that series looks like it has the makings of greatness. I mention this because it looks like Evangelion 2: The revenge of Evangelion. Thats what it looks like on the surface to me as well as others. Pretty cool with some really awesome scenary.

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Rah-Xephon is Evangelion on serious hallucogens.

XxSephirothxX
10-12-2004, 11:45 PM
Eva truly was a masterpiece. I started watching it, an episode a day on average. Then two. Then three. Pretty soon I was scrambling to watch it as much as I could. The show is deeper than anything else I've seen (currently 9 episodes into RahXephon, hoping it matches up), and has some truly incredible messages. You can interpret it in many different ways, and can take the religious aspect as a good or bad thing...or maybe just a thing that happened. :D One bad note is the sheer amount of angst in the show. True, it adds a lot--but at times it can almost be depressing. I have a friend who worships Eva, but said he felt physically ill after watching it. Shinji has to be the most self conflicted person in the universe... :D The true movie ending was incredible, and by far the strangest thing I've ever experienced in media.

I actually like Cowboy Bebop more than Evangelion, but Eva is a show no anime fan should miss. It has a genius penguin in it...come on, how can you not like that!?

edczxcvbnm
10-13-2004, 01:47 AM
Rah-Xephon is Evangelion on serious hallucogens.

Is that even possible given how :love::love::love::love::love::love: Evangelion is... :eek:

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-13-2004, 01:54 AM
Oh yes. Very much so. Evangelion actually makes some sort of sense. Rah-Xephon leavings you thinking you just spent the last however many hours watching Yutaka Izubuchi's private Acid trip.

edczxcvbnm
10-13-2004, 01:58 AM
But it makes sense right now :crying2:

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-13-2004, 02:03 AM
Wait until the end, it gets REALLY strange.

Of course, the fact that I watched it with Starlight Angel babbling throughout the entire series might have hindered my ability to fully comprehend it...

edczxcvbnm
10-13-2004, 02:07 AM
Well I will tell ya what I think when I am done. I am watching ripped english version and I plan on watching the movie...while I heard it is more like a series recap, they said it was from another persons perspective and added to clearing some things up.

Shlup
10-13-2004, 02:11 AM
Eva has plenty of dumb parts and plot threads that are too vague to be any fun, but it's still pretty cool overall. I like how Anno was able to basically make the story up as he went along when everything seems so carefully calculated from the very first episodes, and how all the religious symbolism was just thrown in to make the series seem original among a plethora of other giant robot shows with identical themes (i.e. a team of robots battling monsters from beyond earth, a plucky young hero who has a strained relationship with his father, who built the robots he and his teammates pilot, etc), yet people treat it as being deep.
Ditto that. I like it a lot though. Probably has to do with the fact that it was one of the first animes I saw, and the fact that the characters are really screwed up, which earns them a special place in my heart. :<3:

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-13-2004, 05:46 PM
It's more interesting when characters are flawed and human. I mean, Kaji's the one with the least problems, and look what happens to him.

Armisael
10-13-2004, 07:27 PM
Damn i just realised i have not bought the directors cut dvds
:eek: . Must buy now!!!
you can download the director's cut scenes from here:
www.evangelion.tv
director's cut are really very important and they show some really interesting things..

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-13-2004, 08:54 PM
Well I will tell ya what I think when I am done. I am watching ripped english version and I plan on watching the movie...while I heard it is more like a series recap, they said it was from another persons perspective and added to clearing some things up.There are two movies--Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion. Death & Rebirth is a series recap with maybe a couple extra scenes thrown in, plus the first half-hour or so of End of Eva. End of Eva itself is all original material, though, being the true end of the series.

edczxcvbnm
10-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Your talking about Evangelion Kawaii and I am talking about RahXephon.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-13-2004, 10:32 PM
Well, stop it.

edczxcvbnm
10-13-2004, 11:07 PM
I couldn't help talking about it as they look so similar on the surface :crying2:

Lon611
10-17-2004, 05:57 PM
can sum1 help me out a lil?i just finished watching the entire Neon Genesis Evangelion (only 26 episodes not counting the movies)and im confused about a lot of things. but im gonna start with episodes 25 & 26. whats going on?they defeated the last Angel right?did the world end and that's why everything is all philosophical?

why was the HUMAN COMPLE....(something or other :rolleyes2 ) not really explained?can sum1 help me out on this one?thanks a million :)

Necronopticous
10-17-2004, 06:01 PM
can sum1 help me out a lil?i just finished watching the entire Neon Genesis Evangelion (only 26 episodes not counting the movies)and im confused about a lot of things. but im gonna start with episodes 25 & 26. whats going on?they defeated the last Angel right?did the world end and that's why everything is all philosophical?

why was the HUMAN COMPLE....(something or other :rolleyes2 ) not really explained?can sum1 help me out on this one?thanks a million :)

See the movie, it was made because people asked those same questions. That ending was kind of Gainax saying: "Oh crap... I just remembered... How are we going to end this??? Uh oh..."

The movie replaces those two episodes and it's really really good... You should know... It does involve Shinji jerking off to Asuka's unconscious body. It was eh... more... daring than the series, you could say.

Armisael
10-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Actually the 25-26 episodes are an alternate reality which Shinji has created..as a lot of people say the "true" ending is the movie "End of Evangelion"..you should see it Lon611..it starts from where Kaworu died..
it's a redone 25-26 episodes..and yeah it's a little crazy..

Lon611
10-17-2004, 07:26 PM
It does involve Shinji jerking off to Asuka's unconscious body. It was eh... more... daring than the series, you could say.

rofl....thats always charming
tsk tsk, only 14 yrs old...

i read somewhere that the purpose of SEELE was to cause the 3rd impact and throught the HUMAN (insert correct plan name here) that they were going to force mankind to evolve into a single-celled organism. :confused: isn't this contradictory to what the purpose of what the Eva's purpose is?

Lon611
10-19-2004, 01:45 AM
ok, i bought "End of Evangelion" and wow. :eek: a lot more gory than i expected, but very awesome. now that i have the ending, what's "Death and Rebirth"?is that worth getting and what is it? :confused:

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-19-2004, 01:48 AM
It's the Human Instrumentality project by the way. I hear Death and Rebirth is just a recap of prior episodes.

Ouch!
10-19-2004, 02:07 AM
If I remember correctly, Death and Rebirth had the beginning of End of Evangelion, but it was nothing important, at least not that I can remember.

I just got my grubby hands on the box set after much waiting. So I'm celebrating with a new theme, as you can see.

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-19-2004, 07:36 AM
I'm surprised being kicked there would do anything to Shinji, all things considered :D

In any event, I want to get the series on DVD since my old bootleg VHS copies are rather worn.

Lon611
10-29-2004, 03:55 AM
k, i was listening to the commentary on the dvd of End of Evangelion, and woah. :D :D :D

i was wondering how many of you had done research on the theories/allusions/concepts of NGE and what u think

aeris2001x2
11-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Yes Eva is super deep and i,ve done much research on the identity of the 17 angels, the role of lilith, dead sea scrolls etc. good stuff.

OK...this is my take...Spoilers galore!!!!!!!!!!!

The last 2 episodes are NOT alternative to end of eva...they are simultaneous and just as important. This is human instrementality going on in the chracters heads, and then mostly Shinjis. They happen on a spirtual and celestiaL level during end of eva...Shinji perhaps experiencing this in his head while he is going mad before the 3rd impact and during the 3rd impact when God speaks to him through Rei and Kaworu.

I do not know how exactly this goes on, but they reflect the perspective Shinji wishes to see in whiich he does the right thing and is congratulated. This is a very happy end, completly different to the reality that Shinji realises at the end of eva(which is why he cries and realises his mistake in restarting humanity).

Ok, the objectives

Seele, wants all life to end, that was there plan. They saw death as the answer to lifes problems, as salvation.

At the end of eva, it is my opinion that Shinji wanted this outcome, but was convinced by God not too. So he restarted humanity.

Commander Ikari wanted human instrementality...to fuse all creatures as one. This would have reunited him with his wife (whos spirit was dorment in Eva 01) and solved all problems in his opinion.

P.s- Behold the Void...i consider Eva the ultimate mind ****. So if Raxephon is even more so...why is it you do not like it?

Lon611
11-05-2004, 12:25 AM
i thot that Seele and Ikari wanted the same thing. wasn't Seeles purpose for returning humanity into one giant sea of souls because they felt humans reached their evolutionary potential,and the only way to go further and continue evolving is if they recombine everybody's soul?

aeris2001x2
11-08-2004, 07:12 PM
i thot that Seele and Ikari wanted the same thing. wasn't Seeles purpose for returning humanity into one giant sea of souls because they felt humans reached their evolutionary potential,and the only way to go further and continue evolving is if they recombine everybody's soul?

Nope i do not see that as Seeles plan. Episodes 13 and the final two explain how such a thing would lead to an evolutionary dead end.

Also if Seele wanted this, why was there so much tension between seele and commander Ikari? Its because they wanted different things with the third impact. Shinji was specifically chosen by Seele because they knew he would be the most likely to furfill their ambition. Ikari knew this about his son...a big reason 4 his apathy to Shinji.

Lon611
11-11-2004, 03:46 AM
but seele is the one who INITIATED third impact. and ikari is the one who didn't want seele to do that. its confusing to me in the movie that they're motives are so similar. misato says that seele was going to use the eva's to bring about third impact :confused: :confused: :confused:

Armisael
11-12-2004, 12:52 PM
but seele is the one who INITIATED third impact. and ikari is the one who didn't want seele to do that. its confusing to me in the movie that they're motives are so similar. misato says that seele was going to use the eva's to bring about third impact :confused: :confused: :confused:
Both Seele and Gendo wanyed to initiate Third Impact..they just had different motives..Seele wanted to collect all the human souls and put them into one being..-Lilith-Rei-..the perfect one human form..Gendo wanted to see Yui again and that's why in some episodes is reffered "the scenario of Gendo"..
and i believe that in EoE that is clear..oh well at least that's my opinion on it..Eva is open to perception..

HIK248
11-12-2004, 06:24 PM
All parties involved Ikari Gendou,Ikari Yui,Fuyutsuki,SEELE,Angels,wanted the same thing,to cause the 3rd impact,the differences were the reasons they wanted it to happenand and that everyone wanted to be the one who caused and controlled it,of course control of hymanity's destiny was put inthe end in Shinji's hand by Rei/Lilith.

BTW has any of you seen the Evangelion:After the end picsub?,it's a really funny tape recorded by the original japanese seiyuuu cast which features the characters from EVA called back from King records to make a new series beacause of the popularity of the first.You can find for bittorrent it here

http://kazoo-fansubs.cjb.net:6969/

P.S.In the unlikely case that someone has any unanswered questions about EVA( :D :D :D )you can find a pertty good FAQ and discussion here but of course thereare some questions that have no answers

http://animeboards.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=537163861#post537163861

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
11-12-2004, 10:08 PM
I love it

Main reason i wanted to draw...

Its been an influence with all of my artworks in Highschool! Especially with my final Body of Work!