PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid 3 DEMO!

Sephex
10-07-2004, 09:56 PM
If you go buy the latest OPM (Official Playstation Magazine) there is a disk with the Metal Gear Solid 3 demo in it. In case you are late on this, or you need more information, keep in mind that the issue is in a Metal Gear camo wrapping. I haven't seen it on stands outside of the wrapping. If it is, the actual cover is white with lots of "!" marks that the soldiers express in the game(s).

Anyway, the demo didn't wow me like MGS2, but I must admit that the game is incredibly fun to play. It seems more realistic. For example, if you are wearing poor camo a gaurd YARDS away WILL spot you. No more 6 ft cones anymore! Getting caught is more tense too. Lots of guards come from all sides and waste you. It's more challanging to get away.

Speaking of stealth, the camo system is very easy to work with. All you have to do is open up a menu and select what to wear and what face makeup you will put on. The demo only offers 2 "faces", but you have 5 or 6 camo gear to choose from. You aren't forced to experiment either. If you have Snake lying in the grass, and you want the best possible camo, the selection screen will tell you how much you blend in.
So one option will say "+30" while another might say "-10".

Close Qarters Combat is fun to work with. This game makes me feel real sadistic. After I put Snakes knife on a poor guard and scared some information out of him, i slit is throat. Another time I pushed the guard to the ground and shot him in the head. This may sound disturbing to some of you, but I feel it brings a stronger element of how nasty war is.

Mr. Kojima once again shows his humorous side by throwing in gags for the player to perform. Spin around enough in the first person view mode and watch snake vomit. Toss a grenade in an alligators mouth. Shoot down a nest of bees near a guard and watch chaos ensue.

Hunting for food isn't as annoying as I thought it would be. Food is EVERYWHERE. You can eat a couple of mushrooms growing from a tree, rats under a building, a stray frog that crossed your path, and (of course) a snake. Even the smallest portion refills your stanima bar(s) fairly. Speaking ingesting things, Snake no longer eat rations. If you are hurt, just relax for a bit. The better your stanima is, the faster you will heal. In fact, stanima plays a key part on how well you can sneak up to guards and how steady your aim is.

Mr. Kojima also gave us plenty of weapons to play around with. My favorite is the shot gun. I was spotted, so I ran into a broken down building. I stood at the center of the doorway blasting a guard back a good 10ft whenever one appeared. You are given a knife, pistol, automatic, tranqs, grendes, sniper rifle, and various other goods (like a lifeform detector that uses sonar) to play with as well.

The graphics are well done. The only complaint I have is that when the camera gets to close to something (say you have Snake stare at the ground as he is laying down) the graphics "smear" (like the good old N64 days). That is forgivable since the jungle is so full of life. The lighting is simply amazing. The design doesn't look like it's "convenient" either. In other words, everything appears to be natural.

The story, as usual, seems to be building up (I just remembered--all the voices are the japanese cast in the demo, so deal with it) to something huge.

Overall, I am pretty hyped up for the game. I am not excited for it like I was MGS, but I have a feeling MGS3 will be the better game.

Erdrick Holmes
10-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Is there a Soliton Radar in it or do you have to just figure out where an enemy can see you just from seeing them on the screen?

Sephex
10-07-2004, 10:06 PM
No Soloton radar. You have an item that you can equip that has a half-assed radar in it (only if you compare it to the soloton radar). However, you don't really need it. There are ways to look around where you are at to see if guards are nearby. Also, unless this has changed, I remember reading in a magazine that Mr. Kojima said the final version will have a "radar like the previous games". It isn't in the demo...so either he mean that one half-assed radar IS the radar, or the Soloton style will be in the final version.

Big D
10-07-2004, 10:22 PM
Since this game is set in the '60s, I'm really hoping there won't be a wrist-sized portable radar system available.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-07-2004, 10:27 PM
Have had the demo since Sunday. Have been playing it once or twice a day. Love love love.

edczxcvbnm
10-07-2004, 10:31 PM
MUST PLAY METAL GEAR!!!!!!

Big D
10-07-2004, 10:34 PM
From the details, it's sounding like it could be the best MGS title yet, in terms of realism and gameplay. A bit of old-school weaponry and stealth, with no superhuman cyborgs or automated space laser camera gun helicopter turrets to contend with.
Hopefully there'll be some 60s hardware to take on, though - they certainly knew how to make a decent tank back in those days, and an old-style, diesel-powered Metal Gear antecendent would be pretty fun.

Shoyku
10-08-2004, 12:05 AM
I'm not one to spoil the joy of a game of this caliber by playing the demo first. I'm still eagerly waiting for the release of the game before I feel MGS3 in all its glory.

Sephex
10-08-2004, 12:08 AM
Since this game is set in the '60s, I'm really hoping there won't be a wrist-sized portable radar system available.

To be more specific about what I said I read in my second post, I remember reading that Kojima said that by defualt there is no radar. I think he said that you cna have the traditional radar on if you want. However, since that one old school radar is in there, I think that might be what he is refering to.

Either way, I think the game is cool without radar. I don't plan on using it when I buy the final version of the game.

Erdrick Holmes
10-08-2004, 12:19 AM
Is it possible to get a copy of that demo mailed to my house by submitting my address to a site or something?

BatChao
10-08-2004, 12:27 AM
The demo is good, but I'm a little worried about the difficulty... it just seemed a bit too easy. It seems Snake can now regen his health to full and if your stamina is high enough, it doesn't even take that long. CQC is cool, but seemed a bit overpowered (at least in the demo). Waiting for guards to run up to you and then slitting their throats was cake. I easily took out all waves of guards just slitting their throats while in alert mode... the rest of the game will probably get harder... hopefully. But hunting and camo are really neat and fun. I just wish there was a way to change camo w/o going into a menu.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-08-2004, 12:44 AM
I'm pretty sure the demo is fixed on either Easy or Very Easy mode.

Erdrick Holmes
10-08-2004, 12:55 AM
Can you hold people up in this demo like you can in MGS2?

Big D
10-08-2004, 12:58 AM
Can you hold people up in this demo like you can in MGS2?After I put Snakes knife on a poor guard and scared some information out of him...It would seem so.

XenoSphere
10-08-2004, 02:43 AM
i could care less about MGS3...

Come on, Splinter Cell 3 is going to be so much better. :D

Shoyku
10-08-2004, 03:10 AM
Not like I'd ever expect to see the Konami code in a Splinter Cell game, SO SPLINTER CELL SUCKS! CASE CLOSED!

I'm not biased.

Erdrick Holmes
10-08-2004, 03:18 AM
Not like I'd ever expect to see the Konami code in a Splinter Cell game, SO SPLINTER CELL SUCKS! CASE CLOSED!

I'm not biased.

For once I agree with you.

Shoyku
10-08-2004, 03:23 AM
You agree with me on everything and you know it. You just like being difficult.

Erdrick Holmes
10-08-2004, 04:06 AM
You agree with me on everything and you know it. You just like being difficult.

I don't agree on that.

Maxico
10-08-2004, 07:49 AM
You cant not agree with shoyku.

Anyway it sounds good. There probably will be changes (look at the mgs2 demo and the final game) but I like the sound of a shotgun.

Sephex
10-08-2004, 08:00 AM
You cant not agree with shoyku.

Anyway it sounds good. There probably will be changes (look at the mgs2 demo and the final game) but I like the sound of a shotgun.

It's quite comical on how far the guards fly when you shoot them. You just reminded me of how excellent the death/KO animations are now. In MGS2, the animations seemed scripted. In MGS3, it seems more natural.

Lindy
10-08-2004, 12:55 PM
By guards flying back from a shotgun, do I hear the sound of ragdoll physics?

Pssh, bandwagon jumpers, it's the new bullet time now.

I still want it though. =(

Shoyku
10-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Ragdoll isn't the new bullet time, it's just a way to add realism into a game through inverse kinetics as opposed to death animations. With death animations, you'll see the same old set of deaths over and over again, and with ragdoll in play, it allows the corpse to conform to its surroundings realistically (granted, it doesn't always work out and ends up looking plain odd in some games).

It's an improvement in the games, as opposed to being a feature.

Lindy
10-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Yes, but they're including it in loads of games, just like bullet time was.

And don't forget how terrible the ragdoll physics in the PS2 version of Max Payne 2 was, will it really work on MGS3 so differently? It isn't the Havok engine, granted, but still...

Shoyku
10-08-2004, 07:53 PM
I've never played the PS2 version of Max Payne 2 myself, I own the PC version. Though the MGS games always seem to push the boundaries of a console. I guess it really depends on how they make the processor calculate it, though knowing Konami and Kojima I have confidence in believing that they can pull it off smoothly.

Hell, even in MGS2 the bodies of corpses or unconscious soldiers would somewhat contort to their surroundings.

Maxico
10-09-2004, 11:17 AM
thats true. MGS2 had slight ragdoll physics.

Erdrick Holmes
10-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Yeah, it did. Try dragging a dead/asleep guard and put him in a narrow space about 3 feet wide.

edczxcvbnm
10-09-2004, 06:12 PM
i could care less about MGS3...

Come on, Splinter Cell 3 is going to be so much better. :D

Your right...because I love it when bullets go astray for no reason other than they were too damn stupid to do what Metal Gear does. Makes it so that the gun shakes in the hand so the bullet goes where it is suppose to go instead of making it randomly miss.

Ohhhh! How could I forget that Splinter Cell is also mostly trial and error?

WAIT WAIT! What about how the AI is better than...wait...it sucks!

I love the difficulty levels the game has...wait. Thats Metal Gear again.

Splinter Cell is limited and sucks. Metal Gear allow the player to choose how they want to play. If I want to use the shot gun the whole time and run and gun...I can! Splinter Cell doesn't allow me to do that. You would killed way too fast. It sucks!

Erdrick Holmes
10-10-2004, 08:54 AM
I want this demo now. How do I get one of my own? Can I get a disc mailed to me or do I have to buy the OPM?

Zell's Fists of Fury
10-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Just go to the grocery store and buy the damn magazine, sheesh. You're making this too big of a fiasco.

Ryth
10-13-2004, 08:26 PM
I know I really like it and not to mention it comes with other cool demos as well like Area 51, Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenel (if you beat the level you get a free R&C:UYA cheat code!!!), Robotech: Invasion, Neo Contra, Silent Hill 4: The Room, Need for Speed: Underground 2, Fight Club, Crash Twinsantiy (slightly better than Wrath of Cortex), Tak 2 (better than the first), and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (ehh)!