PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS system, ALL INFO revealed, game specs and LOADS of screenshots, amazing!

Chzn8r
10-08-2004, 02:22 AM
http://lithium.1up.com/zd/board/message?board.id=egm_disc&message.id=266786

You MUST follow that link if you want everything I'm trying to tell you :D Don't worry, no need to log into that forum to view things. There is so much information on the first three pages of that thread I'd die trying to post it all here. Basically- The first load of paragraphs are all the comprehensive details on the launch and launch titles and other such things, there are many links but you don't really need to follow those. Scrolling down you will see DOZENS upon DOZENS of good quality screens of many launch & coming soon titles, on the second page there's another huge barrage.
It seems like everything is being thrown in full force behind this handheld- an amazing array of titles (see for yourself, I'm still oggling at the loads of trippy new games), and no outrageous prices.
Also info about the special remake of Super Mario 64 (expanded single player, 4 player multiplayer):
http://ds.ign.com/articles/555/555147p1.html

And finally a quick and comprehensive look at the definite American release launch titles:
http://lithium.1up.com/zd/board/message?board.id=egm_disc&message.id=267110

If NONE of this convinces you that this system is MASSIVELY more than a "gimmick" as people had been shoving it off before, then I'm assuming you HATE video games.

XenoSphere
10-08-2004, 02:40 AM
I have yet to decide if I'm getting it or not. But today Square announced FF3 will be released for the DS sometime next year.

The Shoeless Hobo
10-08-2004, 05:56 AM
The graphics that the DS is cappable of is nothing special. I still support the PSP. :p

Erdrick Holmes
10-08-2004, 06:14 AM
Not a single fighting game set for the release on the DS. I might wait awhile before I get one.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-08-2004, 06:54 AM
I really dig the extra-vertical title screens.

Sephex
10-08-2004, 07:53 AM
I was leaning towards buying a DS, but after all the new info I heard, I think that I might get it on launch or near opening day. I think I like the DS over the PSP.

The PSP sounded like I great handheld--at first. Then I heard that it can play music, play movies, open your garage door, make toast, and probably nuke Alaska. All jokes aside, all the needless features pointed towards the obvious. The price for the PSP was going to be very high. Wouldn't you know it, I was right.

http://www.gcadvanced.com/article.php?artid=3307

So it's going to cost $350? Yeah, okay. Plus, keep in mind how wonderful Sony's hardware durability is. The damn thing will probably break if you set it down to fast. EDIT: I forgot to put this earlier, but the price that Sony announced was classified un-official. Some at Sony did say it though.

Despite my negative comments about the PSP, I do think it has wonderful graphics. However, the price is simply NOT WORTH IT. And as said before, Sony has a poor record on Hardware. I don't trust Sony in that aspect personally.

Uh...anyway, even though I am hyped for the DS and pretty angry at Sony for the PSP, I don't think there is a clear winner--yet.

EDIT: The link is broke, but I am sure if you check around SOMWHERE on the internet, you will find that Sony announced at the Tokyo game show, that the PSP will cost $350. I would look for another link, but I am a bit tired/lazy right now.

EDIT 2: Damn it! Stupid world priving me wrong! The PSP might come out at $300. It's not as bad as $350, but that's still way to expensive.
http://news.gaminghorizon.com/media/1089092047.html

Erdrick Holmes
10-08-2004, 07:59 AM
I just think the DS wil win this one because I noticed a flaw in one of the PSP games. Metal Gear Acid, it's a Metal Gear cardgame, that just screams "WTF".But I did see a screenshot of a Darkstalkers/Nightwarriors game on the PSP so it gets alot of points for that.

Anybody know of even the slightest bit of info on a fighting game on the DS?

XenoSphere
10-08-2004, 08:06 AM
There's no doubt in my mind that the DS is going to beat the PSP. :p

edczxcvbnm
10-08-2004, 02:38 PM
I would like to point out that no price has been announced yet for the PSP so claiming that it will cost too much is BS. It is estimated to cost $390 but I am sure Sony will not let that happen and take a huge hit on the price so that they can squeeze into the market.

Sephex
10-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Yeah, I know. That's why I corrected myself and said it was un-officialy announced. I think Sony will be lucky if the get it out at $250--which is still way to expensive. Besides, I can't see them matching the DS launch price ($150) and how much DS games will cost ($30). Like I said, nothing against the PSP--except how much it will most likely cost.

XxSephirothxX
10-08-2004, 09:31 PM
After Miyamoto-san talked about connectivity with the DS, he dropped another bomb (this one probally nuclear) on the audience. Miyamoto-san kicked it off by saying "Square Enix is famous for Internet gaming, Well, we're planning to connect the DS to the Internet, so I'm wondering if Square Enix is thinking of anything in this vein."

While the audience stood there shocked, Square Enix producer Akitoshi Kawazu replied, "I'm not sure if we can just bring our Internet games directly to the DS, since that would be rather difficult, And a lot of people are still saying that the barrier to playing network [video games]is too high. But I'm hoping that the DS will help lower that threshold, by bringing mobile games to the DS."

Could this mean that Nintendo is going to go fully online with the DS? Does this mean that Square-Enix will port its mobile games as well? Stay plugged into DSA to find out!

Update: Perrin Kaplan: "802.11b wireless will take you to the Internet [on DS] and you'll be able to connect that way. Nintendo is not opposed to online. I think people have this perception that Nintendo does not support online. We support businesses that are profitable. We don't agree with charging a monthly fee to be online. This is wireless and will work without you having to pay a monthly fee."
Hell yes! Nintendo and SquareEnix unite to take over the world! :D
DS Advanced (http://ds.advancedmn.com/)

Shlup
10-08-2004, 11:05 PM
OH GOD! Nintendogs!

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/software/nintendogs/ss09b.jpg

edczxcvbnm
10-08-2004, 11:15 PM
DS games should never cost more than $20. The technology has been there for years as N64 ad PSX and now you don't have expensive cart manufacturing(I don't really know this...just a stupid guess). Either way $30 is bullshit!

PSP launch = $200

Erdrick Holmes
10-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Dear Nintendo-

I've been you're biggest consumer in your handheld games. Please let Sammy or Capcom make a series of 2D fighters or I will not buy the DS or anything related to it. Keep in mind, you will stand to lose about 4,000 dollars through this.

-sincerely

Joel.

PS. I'm not joking, I love Nintendo handheld gaming more then anything else in the world. I spent most of my money on games for my GBA SP last year.

Chzn8r
10-09-2004, 12:01 AM
DS games should never cost more than $20. The technology has been there for years as N64 ad PSX and now you don't have expensive cart manufacturing(I don't really know this...just a stupid guess). Either way $30 is bullshit!

PSP launch = $200

DS games are going to be like the price of GBA games... only the carts are half the size, containing 4x the capacity, and technology to work 2 simultaneous screens running different stuff, with one reacting to touch technology. Personally I don't think $30 is anywhere near an overcharge.

Here's a video to get all fans of gaming in general (I'm assuming everyone and their mother adored Super Mario 64): http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer_new2.html?title=Gamespot%20Live%20Presents&ppath=ds%2Faction%2Fdssupermario4x4&path=mariods_demo1007.asx&push=0&pid=920758&ksubmoid=18f2486f-8e99-5b37-9038-8fbe3537c28d&urdate=1101024000

And some Metroid Prime Hunters demo (embedded in DS upon purchase): http://www.gamespot.com/live/streamer_new2.html?%20title=Metroid+Prime:+Hunters+Gameplay+Demonstratio%3Cbr%20/%3En&path=metprihunt_demo1007.asx&pid=920760&ppath=ds/action/dsmetroidprimehunters&ksubmoid=da2efa2b-fbb6-cd37-10f4-878080949581&urdate=1122879600

@Joel: http://www.nintendo.com/ds/software-dev-list1.html Check over that list for fighters, I only know for sure that Dynasty Warriors is one. Not big on the genre

@Edzxcvbnm: Even if Sony manages to launch the PSP at $200 (eating money, after recent massive lawsuits, major PSX flop, and near billions speant on development of PS3 technology), it won't be until at least March '05, but more likely Q3 or 4 of '05. (Japan however should get it this winter)

edczxcvbnm
10-09-2004, 12:57 AM
Yeah but PS3 technology will be used in more than just the PS3. The Cell will be used in a lot of things and Blue-Ray will also. PSX was a flop but then again they were charging $500 + for it. They didn't expect it to sell well. Also they were working with other companies on PS3 technology to split the cost.

Chzn8r
10-09-2004, 01:35 AM
Just saying, people who know the elctronics & gaming markets better than you or I are pointing this thing at $300 (Sony's unofficial price. The $350 is a new estimate from who knows what "credible" source).
I understand that Sony's new technology will probably be a big profit in the future, I'm just saying, they shouldn't go about flushing money down the toilet on every PSP sale.

The Shoeless Hobo
10-09-2004, 03:03 AM
Ah, you silly people. The price of the PSP will depend on what "Bundle" you get. :p

As shown here (In the news): Click Here (http://www.shadowgaming.com/v3/news.php)

black orb
10-09-2004, 03:26 AM
>>> Im already saving money to buy a DS..

edczxcvbnm
10-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Okay...that is from a magazine and not an offical press release by sony. As a matter of fact

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/10/04/news_6109524.html

The link says they have not decided on a price yet and that the PSP will get delayed most likely.

http://www.kamalot.com/junk/Fake.jpg

There is the picture that says your pricing structure and it was a fake.

The lesson? Sprong is always a bad place to get information as well as any site that decides to post new from there.

Black Mage
10-09-2004, 06:29 PM
I preordered my DS a little while ago. I have no doubt it's going to rock. And hard.

As for the PSP, it could be good, and a serious competetor for Nintendo, I have no doubt about that.

But I'd like to believe it's going to flop. They say competition is good to ensure quality, but Nintendo has not had any real competition since the GameGear, and the quality has been extremely high with the GB/C/A/SP.

So, I don't think competetion is going to help Nintendo any.

StarlightAngel
10-09-2004, 06:38 PM
I want one of both. :D

Blank
10-11-2004, 03:10 PM
im with PSP alllll the way. PSP will have a much better game selection than DS and the graphics can be expected to be better. i say buying a DS is a beautiful waste. i love regular nintendo and gameboy (except for GBA original) but i never got a gamecube cuz the only game i wouldve played was CC and this DS thing is dumb too. nintendo is going downhill to me.

(i don't like PSX either, i'm weird/picky)
PROUD owner of a PS2 =)

Black Mage
10-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Saying the DS is dumb, and saying why it's dumb are two different things.

As for the game selection, I find that to be quite the opposite, in accordance to my tastes in games. There has been one, and only one game announced for the PSP that I have even the slightest interest in. That game is the Darkstalkers one, and even then, I'm not sure I'd purchase it. Not so with the DS. The launch titles aren't too bad, though only Mario 64 DS really sticks out to me, there are multiple titles that are slated to come out by the end of the year, and even more announced that I'm looking forward to.

Heck, even just the Dual Screen is really interesting. As for graphics, I've never placed much importance on them. Having nice graphics is all well and good, but I'd rather have game companies have their priorities elsewhere, which seems the DS is perfect for, having such an innovational idea.

I'm by no means saying the PSP is a bad idea, or "dumb." However, I personally don't wish it well.

XxSephirothxX
10-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Considering the mega-giant Sony is, I'd honestly like to see the PSP receive only mediocre sales. Honestly, it does look like quite a nice package--beautiful screen, especially, and analog control. However, the high price tag and short batterly life worry me. The graphics will definitely outshine the DS, but graphics aren't really what are important. I prefer some fun and innovative gameplay, which Nintendo has ALWAYS been able to deliver. Some of Nintendo's first party titles are going to be amazing on the DS with WiFi possibilities (Smash Bros, Animal Crossing, Four Swords.) And we can't forget FFIII! :D

im with PSP alllll the way. PSP will have a much better game selection than DS and the graphics can be expected to be better. i say buying a DS is a beautiful waste. i love regular nintendo and gameboy (except for GBA original) but i never got a gamecube cuz the only game i wouldve played was CC and this DS thing is dumb too. nintendo is going downhill to me.

Honestly, how many GameCube games have you PLAYED? The first party titles are phenomenal. Zelda: Wind Waker was an extremely good game, even if it had cartoony graphics--Mario Sunshine was a solid title, Animal Crossing was fun and addictive, Smash Bros is one of the best multiplayer games EVER, and there are countless other examples. It's true that Nintendo may not be on top of the console world anymore, but they are still the best developer in existance, IMO. I love SquareEnix, and they make the best RPGs out there hands down--but Nintendo makes so many excellent games in so many genres, they will forever be the best in my mind.

Blank
11-03-2004, 12:21 AM
right right, nintendo is good stuff, and yeah i knew windwaker was a good game set aside the oddball look, but uhh..i have like no point to stress.

anywhoo, FFVIII is coming out for DS?
and i believe FFX is gonna be on PSP

whether nintendo or playstation, any game made by square is just going to be the greatest anyway. i can see the good qualities of DS but i cant help but favor PSP anyhow.