PDA

View Full Version : Spyware remover

Skogs
10-10-2004, 12:13 AM
Hullo. I've just upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP. Since then, I've started receiving pop-up messages during the normal running of Windows. I didn't get these messages before I upgraded. One is, ironically, an ad for a spyware remover (www.win-fix.com). There was also one for penis enlargement and one other for a subject I can't remember. Given that there is no evident 'prompt' for these messages appearing, I assume that they're spy-ware. However, I can't seem to find any decent free spyware removers these days. Lava-Soft Ad-aware hasn't seemed to have released an update in over a year.

Can anyone help me make these go away? I'll take a screenshot the next time one appears and I'll post it here.

Baloki
10-10-2004, 12:32 AM
Its windows messenger thats causing it, the only way to stop it is to make sure you download all of the Windows Updates from the internet.

Also adaware releases updates to its adware signitures every week which you download via the program so it is quite recent, the other one is called Search and Destroy something orother :D

Hope that helps :D

Skogs
10-10-2004, 12:38 AM
I thought I downloaded all the latest updates immediately after I upgraded, but apparently that wasn't the case. We'll see if this works... :mog:

Yamaneko
10-10-2004, 12:48 AM
You can disable it within Services meanwhile.

Baloki
10-10-2004, 01:17 AM
You can disable it within Services meanwhile.

Probably useful to give a step-by-step guide for that as Skogs only just upgraded, I would but I'm not sure how it would be done so would rather not...

Peegee
10-10-2004, 01:57 AM
administrative tools (from control panel or start menu depending on your settings). From AT you can see services. Open that. In services (local), scroll down to messenger. Double click that, and disable it. Pwah!

Dr Unne
10-10-2004, 02:49 AM
Interestingly, reinstalling Windows would actually UN-fix this problem once you have already fixed it.

Another way you could've fixed this is to run a firewall. If you aren't running a firewall, you're almost certainly getting a whole lot more than unwanted popups. Think viruses, i.e. Blaster and family. Everyone needs a firewall. Routers you can buy at any electronics store have firewalls built in, and they're cheap as heck.

Skogs
10-10-2004, 11:57 AM
I got the latests updates (could have sworn I'd already done that...) and it seems to have worked. Thanks!