PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Goals in Life aka Dreams

BatChao
10-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Hey all. I thought that this would be pretty interesting topic: What is one of your biggest goals in life? Also, how realistically close are you to your dream?

By goal, I mean something you are working really hard everday to someday achieve. It could be something like a particular job or lifestyle, or perhaps winning a medal in the Olympics or something. Something that once you occomplish, you will feel immense satisfaction with your life.

As for me, I'd say that one of my biggest goals is to someday become a video game producer, director, or designer of major commercial games. As for how close I am... I'm not too close... but I'm getting there. I'm just taking things step by step. I've graduated with a BS in Computer Engineering and am now working at Activision as a tester. Sure, being a tester is hard work (currently working 12 hours a day, 6 days a week - ack!), tiring, and really not that close to being a producer or something, but it's a start. I've really learned a lot about the process games go through before their final release. Realistically, I'm thinking it'll probably be another 7-10 years before I get to my goal, but I won't give up and I'll keep striving for it! :D

theundeadhero
10-10-2004, 01:12 PM
You gotta set yourself some goals, chief! Me, I don't have any.

Chris
10-10-2004, 03:49 PM
My goal is to get all of the Final Fantasy games!

I want 'em all, HEAR ME! I WANT 'EM ALL!

Just kiddin'

Not really,

Anyways :p

Peegee
10-10-2004, 04:12 PM
I remember a similar thread, but this is not the same cuz it's life goals :D

Anyway, I plan to graduate and get a full time job, pay off my debts, and then do whatever I darn well want for the rest of eternity. Bwah!

Cz
10-10-2004, 04:20 PM
I aspire to owning a lawnmower. And perhaps one day a lawn. :D

A job that I actually enjoy might also be nice. Journalism is my current, preference, but that might change in time.

Chris
10-10-2004, 04:29 PM
I'm thinking about joining the navy!

Me loves the great big ocean...mother Oceania be with me :D

DMKA
10-10-2004, 06:04 PM
I'm thinking about joining the navy
Good luck, but be sure thats what you want, and don't expect to get in easily. I've been there...it has its moments. ;)

As for now that I'm past that, I'm going to college and aiming to be a social worker. I'm still just a freshman, but I plan to go on to get my MA, probably in the child welfare feild. I plan to live in California, but now I'm actually really looking at Canada. :)

Levian
10-10-2004, 06:07 PM
Not ending up old and lonely.

Jojee
10-10-2004, 06:39 PM
I wanna find the one for me, get a good job, settle down with him and just live out the rest of my life and... be happy ^_^

I'm not that far off, I think. I may have already found him. :tongue:

Aurey
10-10-2004, 07:10 PM
Me loves the great big ocean...mother Oceania be with me :D

Hehe! :D

Anyways, I've planned to be a marine biologist, simply because I love biology and marine wildlife, so, yeah.

StarlightAngel
10-10-2004, 07:26 PM
I want to move to Japan with my friend and the both of us will make manga, anime, and movies.

Mikztsu
10-10-2004, 07:31 PM
I wanna find the one for me, <s>get a good job,</s> settle down with <s>him</s> and just live out the rest of my life and... be happy ^_^

Joe just said what I meant to say, except I don't need that good job and it has to be HER. :)

I really haven't set any ultimate goals for me expect happiness. I know I'll be financially ok and all that stuff. I wanna get married, love someone and live happilly. Hope that's not too much to ask. =)

fire_of_avalon
10-10-2004, 08:30 PM
I plan to graduate and get a full time job, pay off my debts, and then do whatever I darn well want for the rest of eternity. Bwah!

I wanna find the one for me, get a good job, settle down with him and just live out the rest of my life and... be happy ^_^

Erdrick Holmes
10-10-2004, 10:01 PM
My goal is to find a job so I can move to Canada. There I will write a series of Sci Fi novels.

krissy
10-10-2004, 11:08 PM
stop the alien attack

Jojee
10-10-2004, 11:09 PM
And have sex with Not at All Reno :rolleyes2 And would it be too much to take over the world, too?

:shame:

krissy
10-10-2004, 11:11 PM
the world will not be there to take over unless we all pull together to fight the alien menace

Jojee
10-10-2004, 11:14 PM
I like aliens, they're sexy ^.^ Something about the foreign-ness and the accents.... :love:

Baloki
10-10-2004, 11:27 PM
My dream?

I want to pass university with a half decent degree, be able to stand on my own two feet. Work a few different jobs, maybe learn Japanese. I want to start my own company.

Mainly I just want to keep living and discover new things because lifes an adventure and I want to enjoy it :D

Loony BoB
10-10-2004, 11:36 PM
1) Get married. Have a couple of kids. Stay married to wife as long as we both shall live.
2) Buy Navah House (the house I grew up in).
3) Turn Aiyon into a successful game, possibly a successful franchise.

A dream (and not a goal because it's so unrealistic) is to win back a certain loved one of old, but I gave up hope on that one a long time ago. I think I might actually be over her, finally, but that doesn't mean it would be a dream to have her as my own forever.

As for how close I am to the three goals... Goal #1 is a long way off. Goal #2 is also a long way off. Goal #3 is, wouldn't you know it, a long way off. But, at 20 years old, I am still confident that each of those goals is still very much possible. If there's one thing I've taught myself through experience, it's that you can achieve anything you want if you put your mind to it.

Laguna
10-10-2004, 11:55 PM
I want to make a difference. Every day I aspire to stand up for what I believe in- no matter what the cost. I want to do something important. Plus, I think a part of me doesnt want to have lived my life and not done something significant with it.

Peegee
10-11-2004, 12:47 AM
I plan to graduate and get a full time job, pay off my debts, and then do whatever I darn well want for the rest of eternity. Bwah!

Noooooo I don't want teh marriage

Rye
10-11-2004, 12:54 AM
Some of these are more dreams, as they are too unlikely to be a goal.

1) Get married.
2) Become a singer (That's the dream thing)
3) If I do become a singer, remake one of Avril's songs to make it actually sound good and prove to people how much she sucks. (That would ROCK :cool:)
4) Join that "Big Brother/Sister" thingy, and become a big sister to some girl that has no siblings and is lonely. I always wanted to have a sister.
5) Meet Amy Lee. xD

Yeah, that's about it. :p

Jebus
10-11-2004, 01:08 AM
Dreams: To know everything, and to transcend reality again, but permanently this time.

Goals: To enjoy myself and retire early.

Iceglow
10-11-2004, 10:43 AM
hmm short term goals involve going to america next year for my birthday (meeting up with people I know from another site there) but other than that I want to study over in america (uni, either NY or Boston) then perhaps live there a while or forever depends on what happens. And I'm not saying the grass is greener on the other side I'm just saying that the weather in some states is better than the weather over here

Polaris
10-11-2004, 10:47 AM
My dreams are: Be an english teacher, go to England and be with JT through all my life... How close am I? Ah let's see be an english tecaher 5 years, got o England.... 2 years, be wiht JT also 2 years... so... I'm so hapy!

nik0tine
10-11-2004, 10:47 AM
Hehe! :D

Anyways, I've planned to be a marine biologist, simply because I love biology and marine wildlife, so, yeah.

Are you a 14 year old girl? ALL fourteen year old girls want to be marine biologists!

Hey, at least it was funny to ME!

3) If I do become a singer, remake one of Avril's songs to make it actually sound good and prove to people how much she sucks. (That would ROCK :cool:)

I am behind you 100% of the way!

JseanjohnC
10-13-2004, 12:58 AM
well im gonna b either a businessman (since im #1 at my high school) a VERY successful actor since im really good @ it or a stuck up lawyer loL! :D

Shlup
10-13-2004, 01:10 AM
I wanna be a loving wife and mommy. :skull3:

My smaller goals include becoming physically fit, traveling, and getting a modest house on a nice chunk of land and filling that land with pets. Right now I'm working on my goal of finishing college, and more-or-less working on the getting fit thing, though I don't think my current excersise routine is sufficient.

Yamaneko
10-13-2004, 01:16 AM
I want to win the Superbowl and go to Disneyland afterwards.

Shoeberto
10-13-2004, 01:27 AM
As for me, I'd say that one of my biggest goals is to someday become a video game producer, director, or designer of major commercial games.
Yeah. Ditto that. I'm a little young (sophmore in high school), but I've already tried to teach myself multiple languages (Perl, VB, C++, DarkBASIC), with so-so success. DB is oriented around game creation, but it's kind of fallen behind school and such. I'm trying to get myself into the basics of game design (simple physics, mostly), even though I've found that most colleges go through all of this stuff in the courses before diving into the big things. But at least I'm trying to be ambitious about it.

I really want to attend a good game design school...Digipen, obviously, being at the top of the list, though I doubt I'll ever have the credentials to be in it (I take a lot of advanced classes, but do very so-so (C-B range) in them). I'm also trying to scout out other places that would be good for it.

Oh yeah, and also, outside of career, I want to have a wife and kids, obviously. All that stuff above would suck without it.

Silmaril
10-13-2004, 03:47 PM
My dream is to be a manga artist and go to Japan.
but that's a long looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way away and pretty much unreachable.

:cry:

But in the meanwhile I"m gonna study art anyway.

Rusty
10-13-2004, 04:01 PM
My dream is to become a Vet. Travel to Japan and the northern parts of Australia such as The Kimberley and Uluru-Ayres Rock. I also would really like to be able to go to the Bathurst 1000 someday.

Ouch!
10-13-2004, 05:47 PM
My dream for life is to be a successful author. I've also recently decided that I want to become a college proffessor teaching some English class. I think I'll leave off exactly what kind of class I want to teach until I've been to college and have a better idea of what sort of specifications are out there and what I like.

theundeadhero
10-13-2004, 10:04 PM
Have you ever noticed how a lot of people who play final fantasy have a goal to live in Japan? Me included, I've been there for about 2 hours but couldn't leave this little room at the airport. Stupid Army, I wanna explore and stuff.