PDA

View Full Version : FFI&II Translation Differences

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-10-2004, 10:36 PM
As you may know, FFI&II: Dawn of Souls is being translated by a different localization team than the one that provided the translation for Final Fantasy Origins, meaning we're going to see numerous differences between versions in terms of dialogue and the names of items and locations.

Not much has been revealed thus far, but as noted by Jeremy Parish here (http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3135318&did=1), Garland now retains his "knock you all down" line in FFI, just like how "You spoony bard!" was kept in the retranslation of FFIV for FFChronicles.

As far as FFII goes, Frioniel is still "Firion" and Lionheart is still "Leon," but Guy is thankfully Guy this time, rather than "Gus." As you can see in this (http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=3221) set of new screenshots, Minh is called Minwu rather than "Mindu", and Richard's name has been approximated as Ricard, which is certainly more faithful than "Gareth."

In terms of elements that weren't in Origins at all, such as all the new enemies appearing in the games' new dungeons, it seems there's no need for concern. Even though Dawn of Souls is being released on a Nintendo platform, there are no signs of any of the censorship from the NES and SNES eras.

Updates forthcoming.

Chris
10-10-2004, 10:46 PM
Gilgamesh will also appear in FFI.
For the lazy ones I've attached a picture of him.

Zifnab
10-10-2004, 10:48 PM
I don't really like having the later FFs making appearances. To me, it's like putting Sephiroth as a random encounter in the next FF. Rubicant and Gilgamesh are better than random encounters. :(

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-10-2004, 10:56 PM
I think the bosses are still going to be bosses. Rubicante certainly is, since in the monster gallery he appears in front of the Altar of Fire background.

And yes, it's been known for a long time that enemies from FFIII-VI are going to be making appearances in the Souls of Chaos and Rebirth.

Chris
10-10-2004, 10:58 PM
And yes, it's been known for a long time that enemies from FFIII-VI are going to be making appearances in the Souls of Chaos and Rebirth.

I don't know how I feel about that, just yet that is.

abrojtm
10-11-2004, 01:32 AM
I can personally attest (since I've doneso myself) that those bosses are still bosses-and they are hard as hell. Most of them are much harder than Chaos. Not only that, but you also have to go through greuling, randomly generated dungeons to get to them. As if that isn't enough, you have to choose between which bosses to fight in a given trip through the dungeon. Although you have to fight some of them in order to proceed through the entire dungeon, you will probably find yourself going through each dungeons multiple times in order for you to fight all of the bosses. These bosses drop very good (and new to the Dawn of Souls game) weapons, armors, and items.
By the way, it works like this:
Earth Dungeon- FFIII bosses-Echidna, Cerberus, Ahriman, and Two-headed dragon
Fire Dungeon- FFIV bosses-Scarmiglion(both forms), Cagnazzo, Valvalicia, Rubicante
Water Dungeon- FFV bosses-Gilgamesh, Atomos, Omega, Shinryuu
Wind Dungeon- FFVI bosses-Chupon, Ultros, Phantom Train, and Death Gaze
I hope that this might help to straighten out any confusion. There are also different monsters in each of the dungeons that you do not see anywhere else in the game, but they aren't really too much of a concern-they aren't very hard, but there are encounters about every other step, and certain floors have monsters that block your path FF:MQ style that you have to fight in a huge maze to get to the next floor.

Doomgaze
10-11-2004, 02:37 AM
Wow, that font looks horrible.

DJZen
10-11-2004, 11:36 PM
Hopefully we'll finally understand what the hell is up with the time loop.

commodorejohn
10-27-2004, 10:20 PM
No kidding, they added Gilgamesh? I'm happy!
(Gilgamesh is quite possibly my favorite character out of V, even though he and Enkidu pretty much the exact opposite of their counterparts from the Gilgamesh Epic.)
And yes, hopefully the ending text will make an ounce or two of sense now.

Black Mage
11-11-2004, 05:19 AM
As for fighting Gilgamesh (As, yes, he is also my favorite FF 'villian'), does his theme play along with the battle, or is it standard fare?

That goes for all of the battles, actually. Do the themes change depending on which game they're from, or if they have their own music, or do we just get the same FFI music?

EDIT: My bad. I'll try to watch that.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-12-2004, 12:08 AM
WRONG THREAD

(Stay on topic.)

Shoeberto
11-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Mod whore.

Flamethrower
01-04-2005, 03:09 AM
In FFII, I went to Deist Castle with Richard (I hate to call him "Ricard") in my party, and it was revealed that the name of the kid dragoon is Kain. I thought that was really cool. Was that his name in the original version or did they change that for DoS?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-04-2005, 03:12 AM
The kid didn't have a name in the original version. In Dawn of Souls, some minor additions to the scripts for both games were made to include references to later games in the series. In FFI, the Lufeinish people mention that it was an ancestor of theirs named Cid who originally built the airship.
In FFII, Elena's son is now named Cain.
In FFII, Richard mentions that his full name is Richard Highwind, placing him among the ranks of Cain Highwind (FFIV), Alexander Highwind Tycoon (FFV), and Cid Highwind (FFVII).