PDA

View Full Version : Disc 3, still don't know what tf Cait Sith is!!

Turk
10-12-2004, 08:31 PM
I know Reeve has something to do with communicating through him (or it) but I don't understand this whole stuffed toy and cat thing.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~sethomas/cat.gif

What and who is that white thing? Is it alive?

What and who is the cat with the megaphone? Is it alive?

How does he (or it) communicate with Reeve?

Thanks, the thing is just confusing the hell out of me, it's so out of place.

Zifnab
10-12-2004, 08:34 PM
It's not all that clear. The description of Cait says that the white cat he rides on was brought to life by magic. Whether Cait himself is magically alive or mechanically isn't mentioned. I always had the impression that Reeve controls it through his mind. Perhaps it'll be cleared up in DoC.

Chris
10-12-2004, 08:37 PM

That's just a stuffed Moogle.

That'd be Cait Sith, controlled by Reeve.

I'm not sure how he controls Cait Sith, I'm not sure if it's even been confirmed how he controls him.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-12-2004, 08:41 PM
The white thing is a Môguri, more familiarly known as a Moogle. They show up all throughout the FF series; this one is just bigger than most. The cat on top is Cait Sith, pronounced "ket shee," Gaelic for "Fairy Cat." Both of them are nothing more than mechanical toys, and Reeve speaks through Cait and controls him remotely from Shin-Ra Tower. Reeve disguises his voice in order to hide his identity, speaking like a bumpkin while using Cait Sith. (This isn't translated well in the English version.) It isn't until he gets his accents mixed up prior to the final mission to Midgar that he's found out.

Sefie1999AD
10-12-2004, 09:01 PM
I think Cait Sith (the cat) and the moogle (the big white thing) are mechanical toys, remotely controlled by Reeve. There was once speculation whether the toy is controlled by Reeve using mind control, him using remote control or him using Mako to animate him. You can find the thread here (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=47597).

Reeve disguises his voice in order to hide his identity, speaking like a bumpkin while using Cait Sith. (This isn't translated well in the English version.) It isn't until he gets his accents mixed up prior to the final mission to Midgar that he's found out.

I didn't quite notice any accents for Reeve or Cait Sith. Can you give me some lines that demonstrate their different accents?

Shoeberto
10-12-2004, 09:16 PM
The white thing is a Môguri, more familiarly known as a Moogle. They show up all throughout the FF series; this one is just bigger than most. The cat on top is Cait Sith, pronounced "ket shee," Gaelic for "Fairy Cat." Both of them are nothing more than mechanical toys, and Reeve speaks through Cait and controls him remotely from Shin-Ra Tower. Reeve disguises his voice in order to hide his identity, speaking like a bumpkin while using Cait Sith. (This isn't translated well in the English version.) It isn't until he gets his accents mixed up prior to the final mission to Midgar that he's found out.
Yeah.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-12-2004, 09:28 PM
Cait Sith: Wow! Hey! That was a surprise, the controls went crazy. This ain't no
good... Weapon came out of the sea and is heading straight for Midgar. The new
weapon should stop him, right? I don't know if it's ready or not...

Barret: Hey! What's gonna happen to Marlene!?

Cait Sith: Doncha worry none, Marlene's in a safe place. She's with Aerith's
mama. Barret!! What was that scratching just now!? As long as Marlene is safe,
who cares what else happens, right? I been itchin' to say this to ya fer a while
now! When ya blew the Midgar No. 1 up, how many folks d'ya think died?

Barret: ...that was for the life of the planet. Ya gotta expect a few
casualties.

Cait Sith: A few? Whaddya mean 'a few'? What may be a few to y'all is everythin'
to them who died...... Protect the planet. Hah! Y'all sure sound good! Ain't no
one that'd go against ya. So ya think ya can do whatever y'all want?

Barret: I don't want hear from no one in Shinra...

Cait Sith: ......nuthin' I can do 'bout that...See all those Southern mannerisms? In the Japanese version, Reeve uses that accent all the time when speaking through Cait Sith, but in the English version it never really kicks in until it becomes a crucial plot point, which is just confusing.

Sefie1999AD
10-12-2004, 09:46 PM
See all those Southern mannerisms? In the Japanese version, Reeve uses that accent all the time when speaking through Cait Sith, but in the English version it never really kicks in until it becomes a crucial plot point, which is just confusing.

And did Reeve have any special accent when he was speaking normally? Barret must have not only recognized Cait Sith's accent but also Reeve's accent when he figured out who Cait Sith actually is.

Big D
10-12-2004, 10:27 PM
And did Reeve have any special accent when he was speaking normally? Barret must have not only recognized Cait Sith's accent but also Reeve's accent when he figured out who Cait Sith actually is.Reeve normally speaks in a fairly controlled, formal way. Not exactly 'upper-class', but emotionally controlled.

Dante WolfWood
10-13-2004, 12:08 AM
See all those Southern mannerisms? In the Japanese version, Reeve uses that accent all the time when speaking through Cait Sith, but in the English version it never really kicks in until it becomes a crucial plot point, which is just confusing.
actually, I did notice that, I always thought they got barret and cait sitch voices mixed together and used barrets for both.

Del Murder
10-16-2004, 07:43 AM
'ket shee'? Nuts.

DJZen
10-18-2004, 05:53 PM

Magic

Magic

Magic

See? It's all so very simple.

One winged angel of death
10-28-2004, 12:26 AM
ok here's how it gose....(must i always explain such complicated things) Reeve went to the gold saucer and stole the moogel part of the body, then he got drunk and won the cat part made out with it. then when he woke up he thought about cloud and decided to use the stuffed animal for a link to cloud. then he sent it back to the goldsaucer and told the staff he was a person in a messed up costume and not to P.O. him off then he meet cloud. that's what cait Sith is...a poorly abused toy.....ME NEXT!!! (i'm lieing!!)

Necronopticous
10-28-2004, 12:43 AM
I always thought it was pronounced kett-sheath, sort of like ket-she... Are you sure the th is silent?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-28-2004, 09:00 AM
Yes.

10-28-2004, 11:03 AM
i think it's pronounced (Kat'e SIf) cait sith.

Del Murder
10-31-2004, 04:38 PM
Ah well. I'll still pronounce it 'Cate', rhymes with 'Nait'. :D

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-31-2004, 04:40 PM
Hopefully you'll still be able to sleep at night.

Del Murder
10-31-2004, 05:51 PM
In my first ever FFVII game I named him 'Cat Sith'.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-31-2004, 06:05 PM
Kevin used to call him "Cat Thief." I guess he meant a cat who steals things, but I always imagined a cat who steals other cats.

11-01-2004, 02:16 PM
i wanted to name cait sith pikachu because he's round and fluffy and stupid like it. -_-