PDA

View Full Version : Old Sega games that should be remade

Erdrick Holmes
10-14-2004, 05:13 AM
Am I the only one that thinks they need to make a new Vectorman or Streets of Rage?

DMKA
10-14-2004, 05:19 AM
Am I the only one that thinks they need to make a new Vectorman or Streets of Rage?
No.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-14-2004, 05:19 AM
A new Vectorman made an appearance a couple E3s ago. It didn't look very faithful to the original at all, going for a generic mecha aestheticism, which was awfully disappointing. I haven't heard anything else about it since then, though, so maybe it was cancelled.

What I really wish is that the Sega Ages remakes be brought to America--the Space Harrier remake, at the very least.

edczxcvbnm
10-14-2004, 05:23 AM
I remember reading A LOOOONG time ago about Streets of Rage 4...but that was for the dreamcast. So it looks like that one is canned.

The only Sega game I want a new version of is Phantasy Star. None of this online crap. I want a good ol' fashion signle player Phantasy Star game...that would kick ass.

DMKA
10-14-2004, 05:52 AM
The only Sega game I want a new version of is Phantasy Star. None of this online crap. I want a good ol' fashion signle player Phantasy Star game...that would kick ass.
Wait...there was a Phantasy Star PRIOR to Gamecube?

edczxcvbnm
10-14-2004, 05:56 AM
Yes there was...but it was the same crappy game on dreamcast.

*dodges the bullet*

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-14-2004, 06:44 AM
Wait...there was a Phantasy Star PRIOR to Gamecube?Hahahahahahahahahaha

Erdrick Holmes
10-14-2004, 06:55 AM
Poor boy. *plays Phantasy Star II on his Sega Smash pack*

Well I did like the online PS games but a new Single player game would rock. I wish they didn't kill SoR IV, I love II and III so much. I also hink they need to make a Mazin Wars Sequel.

Outsider
10-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Golden Axe. That's a classic, they should remake the original one. Alex Kidd In The Miracle World would be a great choice too.

I'd like to see a remake of Altered Beast too, but only if they keep that old awful voice that said "Rise From Your Grave". And, of course, they should remake the old Phantasy Star games. They were great...

And Black Belt! And E-Swat! And Zillion 2 (Tri Formation)! And maybe Aztec Adventure. The funny thing is that I am the only one who still remember those ones.

I want to go back some good 15 years and play those things for the first time again.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-14-2004, 09:00 AM
Golden Axe. That's a classic, they should remake the original one.Uh, they did. It was part of the Sega Ages line.

Outsider
10-14-2004, 09:11 AM
Oh, I never heard of that. I have to check it out...

The only remake I heard of so far was Phantasy Star Generation

Super Christ
10-14-2004, 09:43 AM
Yeah, they have remade Phantasy Star for the Playstation 2, and word is they're also remaking Phantasy Star 2 and 4 for it as well, and it should be coming out as one collection in the US in spring.

Woot.

[Edit] - Ahh, here (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/data/924306.html) we go. Coming out in Febuary, it seems. I've also heard they're doing something called Phantasy Star Universe, which is not a PSO title. No clue what it's about though.

Xander
10-14-2004, 12:56 PM
Old Sega games should not be remade..they're fine as they are. I mean Toejam and Earl on the XBox....Yuck.. =(

NM
10-14-2004, 01:01 PM
Sega need to make a new Nights game.

Big D
10-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Golden Axe. That's a classic, they should remake the original one.
Uh, they did. It was part of the Sega Ages line.How about Golden Axe Warrior? Cheap-o Final Fantasy knock-off it may be, but it's still a fine - if cheesy - RPG in its own right.

Chris
10-14-2004, 08:08 PM
Please don't mess with the old classics...

No company should ever touch Streets of Rage :mad2:

Streets of Rage II is the best sidescrolling game ever.

Doomgaze
10-14-2004, 08:35 PM
God yes, new NiGHTS, please.

Erdrick Holmes
10-14-2004, 09:17 PM
*wishes he had a Sega Saturn*

Zifnab
10-14-2004, 09:30 PM
Beyond Oasis/The Story of Thor.

Del Murder
10-15-2004, 01:36 AM
Pirates Gold!

Calliope
10-15-2004, 02:35 AM
You lot should just play with the original consoles :D

Del Murder
10-15-2004, 04:02 AM
I do!

Meat Puppet
10-15-2004, 12:24 PM
Or be a theiving bastard like me and steal the games by downloading roms and emulators. The file size of Alex Kidd in Miracle world is smaller than my wallpaper :smash:

Ryth
10-16-2004, 03:36 PM
Easy, new Shining Force games and more remakes of old ones. Also Gunstar Heroes (Sega published that I believe and Treasure devolped it.Right?) a new Vectroman could be good they were planning to make a new one but it was canned it was pretty disapointing Vectroman didn't even look like Vectroman he looked like some Halo's Master Chief drop-out. Wait Phantasy Star is on Sega Smash Pack cool I have SSP2 with the only truly awesome game is Shining Force: Legacy of the Great Intention. A Nights into Dreams sequel would be pretty cool c'mon Sega bring us a sequel! That PS2 Phantasy Star I thnk it is called Phantasy Star Universe and Monster Hunter is basically PSO but different and M rated. Quivk Question: Do PSO and Monster Hunter have offline play or does it go online only?

theundeadhero
10-17-2004, 05:54 PM
Shadowrun. In my opinion the greatest sega game of all time.

Lord Chainsaw
10-18-2004, 05:53 AM

Being that you're so very much against online gaming, I'm assuming that you've never played Phantasy Star Online. If you have, and still feel that way, then I have to say I'm the complete polar opposite when it comes down to this issue. If you haven't, well then I'm still going to say the same thing: I'm the complete polar opposite of you when it comes down to this issue.

The Phantasy Star games that I've played (I and II) are alright, but they are nothing compared to Phantasy Star Online. I'm pleased to hear that Phantasy Star Universe will also be online. They're just so much more fun than the older ones and by far the most fun games I've ever played online. They beat Final Fantasy XI, Everquest Online Adventures, and Champions of Norrath as far as next generation online RPGs go by miles. If Phantasy Star Online didn't have cheating, it would easily be in my top 10, maybe even top 5 games of all time list. That's how good it is.

The battle system in Phantasy Star Online is so much better. I've mentioned before that turn based fighting puts me to sleep, and I won't hold that against the old PS games too much because they were one of the first to do it. However, there is always room for improvement when it comes down to battle systems. Just look at how much Star Ocean evolved over the course of ONE game.

I know it's cheap to compare 8 bit music with next generation music, but I'm going to do it anyways. Cry for IDOLA the Holy, IDOLA have the Immortal Feather, and From Seeing of the Rough Wave decimate the soundtrack from what I've played of Phantasy Star I and II. The battle music for Phantasy Star II is good, but it's even better when it's remixed in...you guessed it, the Space Station level in Phantasy Star Online.

All in all I think Sega is making the correct decision in keeping their Phantasy Star series online. I would never want the series to go offline. We already have plenty of offline futuristic RPGs out there, and another one won't do much besides provide a bit of nostalgia for a very small fraction of gamers.

Super Christ
10-18-2004, 07:41 AM
Phantasy Star 4, on the other hand, was easily as good as any Final Fantasy. The series was great offline. Granted, Phantasy Star Online was also great.

I'd love to see an offline, Phantasy Star 5, as long as they don't say, "Oh, turns out the Profound Darkness isn't really defeated after all" since that'd pretty much invalidate the events of the rest of the series.

Phantasy Star Universe being an online game, I guess, is fine, as long as it isn't just another PSO. I guess. I usually don't like online games because most of them don't make soloing a viable option; PSO does with the Hunewearl. And playing with strangers usually sucks eggs. And getting my friends to all play the same online game is practically impossible.

So yes. Remakes of PS1, 2, and 4 on the playstation 2 - Woot, and I'm excited. And I'd love to see an offline PS5 sometime.

Anyway, it's also not like there's not a billion practically identical MMORPGS out there. Sure, most are medival fantasy, but there's a good number of futuristic ones out there too.

Xander
10-18-2004, 01:49 PM
You lot should just play with the original consoles :D

Listen to the girl!!

I was considering buying a new console lately, then remembered I still had a megadrive, but not many games, so I just bought loooads of new games for it. Just like getting a new console but WAAAY cheaper =)

Lord Chainsaw
10-18-2004, 07:17 PM
Phantasy Star 4, on the other hand, was easily as good as any Final Fantasy. The series was great offline. Granted, Phantasy Star Online was also great.

I'd love to see an offline, Phantasy Star 5, as long as they don't say, "Oh, turns out the Profound Darkness isn't really defeated after all" since that'd pretty much invalidate the events of the rest of the series.

Phantasy Star Universe being an online game, I guess, is fine, as long as it isn't just another PSO. I guess. I usually don't like online games because most of them don't make soloing a viable option; PSO does with the Hunewearl. And playing with strangers usually sucks eggs. And getting my friends to all play the same online game is practically impossible.

So yes. Remakes of PS1, 2, and 4 on the playstation 2 - Woot, and I'm excited. And I'd love to see an offline PS5 sometime.

Anyway, it's also not like there's not a billion practically identical MMORPGS out there. Sure, most are medival fantasy, but there's a good number of futuristic ones out there too.

The great thing about Phantasy Star Online is that soloing IS a viable option, unlike other online RPGs. That's why the game has an offline mode identical to the online mode. Granted, some classes solo better than others, but you'll still be able to hold your own offline at about 130. I played a FoMar, which is not very good at soloing. I was still able to beat the Ultimate Ruins offline at level 130. I don't understand why soloing would be a problem in the game if it has an offline mode solely for that. There are even things online you can solo, like the Heat Sword quest for I believe 60k exp.

As far as Phantasy Star 4 goes, I have not played it. However, the worth of individual games in a series cannot be judged by the series as a whole. It doesn't matter how good the finale of the series is if some of the early ones aren't impressive. Take Xenosaga. We don't know much about the story, so we can't judge the series yet. However, as an individual game it was very impressive which is what should be judged in a series of a continuing story.

As far as the billion practically identical MMORPGs out there, I can't name a single one that is on a console. The closest I can imagine is Champions of Norrath, but even that is fairly different. For one, it is a medieval setting which has a HUGE impact on how different the game is. The battle system is different. It is not 3 Dimensional, and you cannot perform combos (my favorite part of PSO is the gameplay, which is strange since my favorite part of a game is usually the storyline). It also gives you different control over stat growth, and has no virtual lobbies, which is a huge part of PSO. To name a few differences at least. I'm not even sure that PSO actually IS an MMORPG.

Super Christ
10-18-2004, 07:55 PM
Ahh well, like I mentioned, I don't mind Phantasy Star Universe being online as long as they make soloing viable - that's really my only gripe with FF11. I'd still like to see an offline Phantasy Star 5 though. Phantasy Star 1 was one of the pioneers of early RPGs along with Final Fantasy 1 and Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star 2 was about as good as Final Fantasy 4, and Phantasy Star 4 was as good as Final Fantasy 6, so it'd be great to see what they'd do with Phantasy Star 5 using many of the RPG conventions of today. And let's just smile and pretend Phantasy Star 3 never happened.

edczxcvbnm
10-18-2004, 08:09 PM
God yes, new NiGHTS, please.

NO! They should at least release NiGHTS though. The original was so damn good and perfect that a sequel would probably screw up what was so perfect about the original. 5 years ago I would have agreed and been for a sequel as it was good then but not Legendary now :D

As for PSO. I do play online games...just not RPGs. Even though I play them from time to time, I still don't see what the big deal is. I have breifly played some games like Asheron's call and everquest. One of my friends is in "The Matrix Online" beta and I watch him play and it is more of the same.

I have played PSO and it is okay. Nothing to get all excited about. I would much prefer a single player PS game than another online one.

I will be picking up the remakes of the series though. PSIV is by far the greatest of the series and does everything right.