PDA

View Full Version : It's in the details.

Necronopticous
10-18-2004, 04:37 AM
I was playing an old Final Fantasy X save earlier and it was at the part where you fight Biran and Yenke on Mt. Gagazet. After you beat them they have a conversation about how they will fight back against everyone who tries to pursue your party up the mountain. In spite of their newborn respect for your party and for Lady Yuna they tell her that after she defeats Sin, they [the Ronso] will build a grand statue of her since the rest of Spira looks upon her as a betrayer.

Now here is what this thread is about: The little details Square always seems to address that just makes the games so enjoyable and... well, neat. When I replayed this part, this just stood out as one of these occurances, put a big stupid smile on my face because it's nice to see. One of the many reasons I love Square-

So the Ronso hold their horns as an essential part of their being. To them, the horns are a symbol of power and pride, very significant and filled with prestige. So after they tell Yuna of the great sculpture they will make for her he adds, "[...]With a grand horn". I don't know about you, but to me this is such an awesome scene because it just fits in every possible way. It totally relates Spira to all of the other Final Fantasy worlds even though they are so different. It also sort of symbolizes Yuna as the first "REAL" summoner of Spira in a Final Fantasy viewpoint. Which is important for events later in the game. Inside of the game it also fits flawlessly because it's such a great honor for the Ronso to include the one physical feature they hold above all others that separates them from Humans on the statue of Yuna.

Anyway, it's also a cool circling thing that picks at the idea of religious origins and how they might have just been exertions of someone's own personal beliefs. For instance, if all of Spira was wiped out, and then another future civilization found the statue of Yuna in the aftermath they would associate summoners of this time period as having horns- Cool play on the fact that we, as Final Fantasy fans, associate summoners with horns.

Did I mention I love Square?

So I'm curious to hear all of your experiences with these wonderful little 'details' in the series.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-18-2004, 05:13 AM
No cloud or squall shall hinder us.

Necronopticous
10-18-2004, 05:22 AM
aye