PDA

View Full Version : New Router

Lionx
10-18-2004, 05:00 AM
How do you configure it? I mean theres instructions..its Linksys one and...i really aint sure how it goes..it made me d/c and cant go online for a while and i am a bit scared as to how this works..

BTW how do you guys connect accross rooms?

Doomgaze
10-18-2004, 05:12 AM
The basic configuration should be mostly self explanatory. If you have any problems, though...

As you've sort of hinted at, the tricky part is getting Windows to detect the network and such. Are you using wireless?

Lionx
10-18-2004, 05:52 AM
Direct ethernet connect. I mean..the CD tells me to be online to config...but then it tells me to connect to the router..which in turn doesnt let me go online -_-.

Doomgaze
10-18-2004, 07:17 AM
What kind of internet? Cable? DSL?

I'm going to assume you have one of those and an exterior modem. What I did, as I recall, was simply plug the modem into the internet port of the router, and plug the computer into port 1. If windows sees the router (it should, especially if you're using XP) go to 192.168.1.1 to begin your setup. There shouldn't be too much involved for the basics, but you'll want to turn your firewall and such on.

Lionx
10-18-2004, 07:25 AM
I am still not so sure whats up with it. I went to that site like before and i dont know what they mean by host or domain name and i am not sure if Comcast Cable likes it or not. I should turn my firewall on? O.o I am not too sure..it came back to me to limited or no availibility so i cannot browse sites even if i am connected.

Doomgaze
10-18-2004, 07:36 AM
No, no. I, personally, would not use a software firewall along with the router's built in firewall, but that's because I'm fairly careful with my surfing habits - I don't think it's likely I'm going to get a trojan, for example.* If you want, you can run them both, but there's always a chance that they'd interfere with each other.

As for what you need in the main setup screen, you'd most likely have to ask Comcast. It may just work with Automatic Settings - DHCP. Mine does.

"it came back to me to limited or no availibility"

Um, I don't quite follow what you mean.

*this is not a challenge to you all

Lionx
10-18-2004, 11:54 AM
Limited or no availibility means that its connected, but it cannot go anywhere at all for some reason....O.o

I have put it on automatic..but i might ask them anyway..-_- confusing..

Shoeberto
10-18-2004, 11:52 PM
Are you running XP? If so, is the "Limited or No Connectivity" coming through a little bubble on your network connection? And if so, have you recently installed XP Service Pack 2? That seems to cause a lot of problems with everything.