Shoeberto
10-19-2004, 12:35 AM
I like Castlevania.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
10-19-2004, 12:37 AM
Super Mario Bros. 3.

Burtuc
10-19-2004, 12:42 AM
Hey HSU did you ever play castlvania 3? Its a cool game but 2 Sucked big time. And Kawaii Super mario bros 3 is great game

Dignified Pauper
10-19-2004, 12:51 AM
Dragon WArrior 4

Burtuc
10-19-2004, 03:30 AM
Have any of you ever played Blaster Master?

Giga Guess
10-19-2004, 03:34 AM
Super Mario 3, the Mega Man series...Tetris....hmmm...what else...

Stimpy141
10-19-2004, 03:58 AM
Chrono Trigger.

Burtuc
10-19-2004, 04:29 AM
..................Nes not SNES

thornwithin
10-19-2004, 04:47 AM
Easily Zelda 1. I recently re-played the game (both quests) and I am amazed at how awesome the game really is.

This game is REALLY HARD, especially the second quest. Your character is not very maneuverable and does not have many weapons available to him, which often makes the enemies tough to fight. Second, a lot of the secrets are really hard to find. I remember searching for literally an entire night (like 8+ hours), trying to find the blue ring shop. Third, the dungeons are very confusing. The designers don't really give you any hints, the way they do in, say, zelda 3 or 4. The use of "secret passages" instead of 3-dimensional dungeons is absolutely brilliant, making for all kinds of weird mazes. And there is absolutely no indication that the dungeons in the second quest have a different type of doorway. (sorry that's all I can tell you, you gotta figure it out yourself mwahahahah)

I'm always disappointed when I go back and re-play an old game that you thought was difficult, only to discover it is really easy 10 years later. Well, the Legend of Zelda is just as hard as it ever was, and frankly I'm amazed that I was able to beat it back when I was ~7 years old.

Beyond the difficulty though, it is just a fun game to play. It is a welcome break from the side-scrollers that were all the rage in that day, and was among the first games that allowed you to increase your character's power over time. It also was one of the first open-ended games, where you can explore most of the world from the very start and had to create your own path. While the story is certainly not as well-developed as later games, it had plenty of heroism and provided the foundation for one of the best series of all time.

Lord Chainsaw
10-19-2004, 04:56 AM
Wizards & Warriors, baby.

All three of them. As far as series go, I feel it is the strongest one on the NES. All 3 of the games are outstanding, and they have some of the greatest musical tracks I've heard in all of gaming.

Many people consider the Legend of Zelda the ultimate video game fairytale. Sorry, but that's not me. The fairytale I grew up with was Wizards & Warriors, with the premise of the Knight Kuros saving the Princess from the Evil Wizard Malkil. Similar to Zelda in a way, but with better music (I should also say the dungeons aren't a chore, but that sort of problem didn't really evolve until perhaps Ocarina of Time hit the market). I can't quite tell if it left an impression on me. I do know however that my favorite type of story is one where the hero must rescue the damsel in distress from evil, so maybe it did leave an impression on me. Wizards & Warriors II also has the single most awesome video game box art of all time, with the almighty FABIO on the cover, so it automatically goes gold for that.

As far as a stand alone game goes, Mega Man III is my favorite on the NES. That game is my baby. It is probably the game I've played through the most times throughout the course of my entire life. I play it at least once a month, as not to get stale. On average, I can beat the game on 1 or 2 lives. Gemini Man is my favorite Robot Master. Spark Man has my favorite stage music of the 1-8 series. I've got strategies for beating the eight robot masters with the buster that no one else on the internet does. I tried to make a plasma buster Boss FAQ for this game at Gamefaqs, but they already had 2 boss faqs, and I wasn't going to be assed to make the whole damn game walkthrough.

I've also played and finished all 3 NES Castlevanias. I'll agree that 2 sucked. It was too easy, and there weren't enough bosses. Not to mention it is impossible to complete without a strategy guide.

And I've also played Blaster Master. I can't finish it though. I've gotten all the way to the last boss. I'm not sure if there's a boss after him, but the guy I got to was the guy on the cover. He's a striped zebra thing that spits rocks. He's helluva tough. I can't beat him.

Del Murder
10-19-2004, 05:30 AM
The Legend of Zelda!

Storm
10-19-2004, 07:32 AM
As far as a stand alone game goes, Mega Man III is my favorite on the NES. That game is my baby.
I completely agree.

NM
10-19-2004, 11:14 AM
Snake Rattle & Roll.

Possibly the hardest game ever created. Even to this day I can't get past level 9.

metCloud
10-19-2004, 01:06 PM
Have any of you ever played Blaster Master?

Great game!

Out of the ones I own I like Metroid the best. I also like "Thrillas Safari and Spyhunter". Blaster Master would be about third on my list.

gokufusionss1
10-19-2004, 06:33 PM
Kid icarus or shadow ninja (AKA ninja gadien)

Dingo Jellybean
10-19-2004, 11:20 PM
Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Final Fantasy, Punch Out!!, TMNT3: The Manhattan Project, and among others.

I can't really decide, but you can't go wrong with the titles above.

TasteyPies
10-19-2004, 11:31 PM
I like Castlevania.

Lord Chainsaw
10-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Kid icarus or shadow ninja (AKA ninja gadien)

Ahhhh... Ninja Gaiden.

Do you remember "The Nails of Lukifell" from the first one?

It was that track that played when you were speaking with the old man at the lake about the demon statues, and again during level 5-3 (the golden mountain climb at night level before Bloody Malth). That one track brings back so many memories. If I had to pinpoint one tune as THE Ninja Gaiden tune, that would be it.

And speaking of Ninja Gaiden, how about that Hall of Brahmans? I'm sure everyone who's ever played Ninja Gaiden is familiar with it. Stage 6-2, the level that separates the men from the boys. The particular room that is one of the most frustrating rooms on the NES is that room with all those platforms suspended over the pit, and that guy chucking crosses on the next platform who's in cahoots with that satanic bird that flies at you as soon as you try to land the jump. Yeah, remember that room?

MoonsEcho
10-20-2004, 12:47 AM
I still remember getting a Nintendo for my 6th birthday, and opening the smaller present that came with it, the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunter cartridge, complete with orange gun. I loved playing those, Mario more than DH, but my dad and I had tons of fun on weekends playing those.

The Legend of Zelda will always be my very favorite NES, with Final Fantasy a close second. Super Mario 3 and Zelda 2 were fun as well.

Burtuc
10-20-2004, 12:52 AM
The Ninja Gadens are great games great music and Game play.

Another game with great features has to be the Megaman games

All of them were great to me. What do you guys think? What was or still is you favorate Megaman Nes game?

Doomgaze
10-20-2004, 05:19 AM
SMB3 and StarTropics.

Lord Chainsaw
10-20-2004, 11:44 PM
Ah, yes. Star Tropics is damn fun.

Unfortunately for me, I never got a hold of that game when I was younger, so I only tried it for my first time about 3 years ago. Still more unfortunate, the battery was deceased in both cartridges I got a hold of. That means I have to play as far as I can without saving when I want to play it. The farthest I've ever gotten in that game is the inside of the whale. Damn good game. I love the underworld music.

I have played Star Tropics 2: Zoda's Revenge all the way through though. I like it better than the first, but that is probably because I can't finish the first. 2 is a very good game, and it's a shame very few people have played it. The NES was dying and the SNES was on the rise with its graphically superior games at the time. Star Tropics 2 never had a chance to be loved.

Doomgaze
10-20-2004, 11:55 PM
Agh, Zoda's Revenge blew. I don't know how you can say that D:

...I couldn't beat the thing underneath London. :(

Queen Anthai
10-21-2004, 12:04 AM
Oh God, I loved Blaster Master. Sucked completely at it, yet somehow loved it.

My all-time favorite would have to be Shadowgate. Kemco-Seika had this trilogy of games that were PC-'ported, point-and-click style that was really rad (I just dated myself by saying that, didn't I?) for its time. Shadowgate was just bad-ass from start to finish. To this day I can beat it, new game to "The first story's end" in nineteen minutes flat.

I swear. I had a stopwatch and everything.

They also came out with Deja Vu, which was a 1940's detective story that was really well-done. I have Shadowgate and Deja Vu I & II for Game Boy Color, but they never did any ports with their third game, The Uninvited, which was a creepy, haunted-mansion story that, by the time I figured out not to take the effin' Ruby, I had to return it to the rental place. And I never did buy it because by that time the Super Nintendo had come into being and...well, you know how these things go.

I wish they'd rerelease more games for the GBA. Nostalgia is such a huge thing right now, since we're all twenty years older and have disposable income and hate our lives and want our damn NES games back. :)

Konami ought to do a Greatest NES Hits package for GBA. I'd love to be playing Contra and Life Force again.

Anyone besides me ever play Taboo? It was like a game-ified Tarot deck. Very cool. And Anticipation! I loved Anticipation!

Also FFI, obviously, and Dragon Warrior I-III...both Zeldas (II was harder; I still can't beat it)...

And of course Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! whenever I'm in the mood to kick the crap out of something.

God, you guys are going to make me break out the old Nintendo and thwack it around until I can get it to play something for thirty seconds without glitching, aren't you?

TasteyPies
10-21-2004, 12:05 AM
Ah, yes. Star Tropics is damn fun.

The Amazing Spiderman
10-21-2004, 12:23 AM
I'd say Ninja Gaiden Series.

Ryth
10-23-2004, 09:01 PM
I say Legend of Zelda while it was a tough decision with all the great oldies like SMBs, Megaman, and Gauntlet. I would say FF but I only have FFI for PS1 on the Origins pack.

Triple T
10-24-2004, 12:49 AM
I really liked FF... well, it's the only one I knew what was going on, and even then I didn't really have a sense of reality. I used to always lose at Garland but still, I had a lot of fun using Fire and watching the flashing screen. (=

Venom65437
10-29-2004, 02:24 AM
Mega Man 3. My favorite game of all time.

SomethingBig
10-29-2004, 03:19 AM
Megaman 2 had it all. Bionic Commando was really fun too, but I never got past the first level. :(

commodorejohn
10-29-2004, 07:06 AM
Uff da. So many contenders.
I'd have to say my all-time favorite is Final Fantasy 3. Excellent gameplay, very nice graphics, rocking soundtrack, good story with a lot of cool elements from back before they were cliché.
However, FFI is also quite good, but had some annoyances and difficulty issues.
Another contender for favorite is Megaman 6, but just about any Megaman game receives almost as high a score. MM6 was Capcom's last NES title, and they really pushed the grey box's limits. Gorgeous graphics, good music, and the same awesome Megaman gameplay.
And who could forget Mario 1 and 3? Though SMB1's graphics were on the primitive side, the music was great and the gameplay, though formulaic, was perfect. SMB3 had much nicer graphics, equally great music, and a much larger game world.
Zelda 1, though a definite pioneer in the action-adventure genre, was not all that great. I enjoyed it, but the graphical mediocrity and overall difficulty left me not too pleased with it. It wasn't until Zelda III that the series got really good.

Rase
10-30-2004, 08:07 AM
Castlevania
Final Fantasy I
The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros. 3
Mega Man 2/3
Ninja Gaiden

MoonsEcho
11-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Nostalgia is such a huge thing right now, since we're all twenty years older and have disposable income and hate our lives and want our damn NES games back.

YES! I agree completely. :)

And Anticipation! I loved Anticipation!

I can't believe I forgot Anticipation! That game was crazy. The music would stay stuck in my head forever, though.

Jolts
11-04-2004, 06:01 AM
I like most of the games that exist in Animal Crossing. My favorite NES game is in Animal Crossing, and has been mentioned in this thread nine times.

Can you guess it?

krissy
11-04-2004, 06:04 AM
river city ransom