PDA

View Full Version : return of grunge?

thornwithin
10-19-2004, 04:29 AM
has anybody else noticed that there are a few bands out today that are very grunge-y? In particular, Seether has several songs with guitars and vocals that sound just like nirvana. In fact, at a recent concert they even covered You Know You're Right. I think it's been so long since grunge was in the forefront that it's ok for these bands to use that style without being labeled copycats.

Humorous aside - at the concert mentioned above, there were a lot of 15-year old girls there cuz it was an Evanescence show. So my friend and I noted that when Kurt Cobain killed himself, which was one of the defining musical events of our generation, all of these girls were FIVE years old. crazy eh?

(I bet I get flamed now by a bunch of 13-year olds who love nirvana. Heh)

eestlinc
10-19-2004, 04:59 AM
Nirvana sucks. Grunge is more about not bathing than any sort of musical sound.

nik0tine
10-19-2004, 05:32 AM
I hope there is no return of grunge, because as eestlinc said, grunge sucks.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-19-2004, 08:33 AM
ROBOCOBAIN, ACTIVATE!!

Meat Puppet
10-19-2004, 10:16 AM
It didn't die when Cobain died, I think it got wounded though, then went post-grunge (the death of Cobain made grunge become post-grunge I think), but by then all sorts of new music has reached the thing to be. Nirvana came back briefly for a treat and shortly spurged out some more grungy stuff, and even a secret Blind Melon album (which I think was already on it's way anyway) and it's now fading away again. Or faded.

P.S. I'm against Alice in Chains being classed as gruge :)

Skogs
10-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Grunge was doomed to implode - which it did. I don't think it needs to return. Grunge was all about rebelling against all the cock-rock and crap pop that was around at the time. The music scene isn't too bad these days so we don't need any of that.

Plus, they were supporting Evanescence for christ's sake. That's minus 50 cool points.

Project G
10-19-2004, 10:27 AM
What bands now have a grunge sound

escobert
10-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Nirvana sucks. Grunge is more about not bathing than any sort of musical sound.
no

Jack
10-19-2004, 02:17 PM
Nirvana were shocking in their rip-off of the Pixies.
And Grunge simply revealled to record companies that Agnsty music would sell millions (Nevermind...) which produces the crap EMO we have nowadays like Avril Laviegne talking likle the whole world is on her shoulders...Nirvana created her.

The best Grunge bands were the ones that transended Grunge like the Smashing Pumpkins or indeed Pearl Jam

eestlinc
10-20-2004, 12:58 AM
exactly, Jack.

kikimm
10-20-2004, 01:55 AM
I love Nirvana, but that's as far as my love for grunge goes. There's only so much a person can take.

I can already feel a backlash against the kind of music there is today, but I don't know what's going to overthrow it all....yet. But there'll be something. Mark my words.

:D

escobert
10-21-2004, 06:41 PM
Nirvana > all