PDA

View Full Version : help with linksys wireless router BEFW11S4

-N-
10-19-2004, 11:47 PM
The Setting:

1. A standard computer connects to our school's network and the outside Internet through Ethernet ports located in each dorm room. Each computer has its own static IP address.

2. I am trying to use a Linksys 802.11b wireless thing that connects to the school's network via Ethernet and has 4 Ethernet hubs and wireless receptors. It has its own static IP address.

3. The connection is, well, flaky. The power light is on, the Internet light (when connected via Ethernet) is on, and the LAN lights (if a computer connects to the Linksys via Ethernet) work. The only light that's flaky (and apparently my Internet connection is dependent on it) is the Wireless-B light. Although it makes sense that if this light isn't working, wireless users can't access the internet, a computer connected to the Linksys via Ethernet cabling also can't access the internet. To which I have to say...

<font size=+4>WTF?</font>

So help me out someone. How can I get this thing to be less flaky? I don't have the instruction manual, so anyone with this model router and has the manual would be really appreciated here. Help me out.

Shoeberto
10-20-2004, 12:03 AM
Could be just a bad router. I think I have the same model and the only time the Wireless-B might go out is if the unit needs power cycled or something. I'd try returning it and seeing if a new one might work.

-N-
10-20-2004, 12:28 AM
Power cycle - that's a familiar term. How do I do it on this thing?

And I don't think it's defective, because when I installed it in a different location a month ago it worked fine.

Endless
10-20-2004, 12:30 AM
If there is no on/off switch, unpug from the power outlet, replug. That's a power cycle. xD

What I could see happening is interferences from other wireless equipement in your dorms or something. Not that it helps solving it, but it might be why.

-N-
10-20-2004, 12:45 AM
Okay, now it's totally weird. The Wireless-B light is dead off, but I'm on wireless internet right now and posting this just fine. Ethernet people connected to the hub are working just fine too...

Doomgaze
10-20-2004, 05:29 AM
Are you SURE it should have a static IP? I know I didn't have one in my dorm, but that was me.

-N-
10-20-2004, 08:52 AM
Yeah, we're supposed to have static IPs.

Peegee
10-21-2004, 09:14 AM
Wait you just want to hook more comps, right? Just get a switch or something.

Baloki
10-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Okay, now it's totally weird. The Wireless-B light is dead off, but I'm on wireless internet right now and posting this just fine. Ethernet people connected to the hub are working just fine too...

It seems your card picks up both b and the other one and your router/hub/whatever runs on the other standard, therefore when using b your actually using someone elses unsecured wireless, try frocing to the other standard perminatly :D