PDA

View Full Version : Are video games partially to blame for the weight problems of youth nowadays

darkchrono
10-20-2004, 04:22 AM
Are video games partly to blame for why so many young people are out of shape nowadays.

Kids just do not play outside nearly as much anymore or get as much exercise largely because of video games.

Before the days when kids had their very own fantasy land right before them on the television screen they werer outside imagining up that fantasy land. When they didn't have a realistic sports game to play on the television they were outside playing sports with their friends.

Do you think video games are partially to blame with how out of shape our society is beginning to become.

Erdrick Holmes
10-20-2004, 04:23 AM
NO!

TheAbominatrix
10-20-2004, 04:30 AM
Last time I checked, we had video games when I was a kid. I had my Fantasy world set right there before me, and I still went out and played. I still have video games now, and as an adult, I get far less exercise (no physical play, no forced PE) and I'm still not overweight.

If a kid has a weight problem, or a family with a history of weight problems, then the parents should help out and make sure they get enough exercise and eat the right foods. For the 15,000th time, it's not the video game industry's responsibility to raise everyone's kids.

If we can blame games, why cant we blame books? They give a fantasy world, they dont cause kids to run around, and some kids do nothing but sit around and read books all day.

Giga Guess
10-20-2004, 04:37 AM
It's unfair to blame a corporation for all the ills befalling children. A game is designed for entertainment. It's up to....*gasp!* the parents to ensure the children maintain a balanced lifestyle. Simple as that.

Necronopticous
10-20-2004, 05:03 AM
I play video games and I'm overweight

*THE PLOT THICKENS*

The Shoeless Hobo
10-20-2004, 09:11 AM
No, not at all.

I believe it is the ever-growing fast food industry like Mac Donalds and such. As people do live off this stuff all their life.

Levian
10-20-2004, 02:33 PM
No, it's their own damn fault. Unless they're fat because of a disease, or it's a genetical thing. It's that simple.

Wuggly Blight
10-20-2004, 04:23 PM
Video games are a scape goat cos the fatties want to blame someone but themselves.

edczxcvbnm
10-20-2004, 10:34 PM
I was playing games since before I could remember. Its up to the parents to not be morons. Don't let your kid eat fast food 13 times a week. Set limitations on TV and Game time. Do some damn common sense things.

"But I don't want to seem like a bad guy"

Screw you hippie! You are the parent and not setting limitations and crap like that worsens your kids health and all sorts of other things. It makes you a DAMN MONSTER!!!!!!!

RARA@!

Strider
10-20-2004, 10:49 PM
In a word... no, of course not.

Psychotic
10-20-2004, 11:16 PM
I've played countless hours of video games. I am not overweight. Heck, I'm not even normal weight for someone my height, as I'm slightly under. But I walk 4-8 miles a day, so :)

Necronopticous
10-21-2004, 12:38 AM
I walk 4-8 miles a day, so :)

You psychotic bastard!

CloudSquallandZidane
10-21-2004, 12:43 AM
Are video games partly to blame for why so many young people are out of shape nowadays.

You realize thats blasphemous to even suggest.

kikimm
10-21-2004, 12:52 AM
I don't think they're completely resposible. Yeah, they can contribute---if you let them. But it's exactly like the fast food thing; if you can control yourself, put limitations on it, then no problemo. It's all about self-control---which kids these days seem to have very little of, and are paying the consequences. I play video games, and I'm fine. Although I, personally, may not like the weight I'm at, in the back of my mind I know I'm right where I should be for my height.

We're so fat because we have things done so easily for us, today. We don't really have to do anything ourselves anymore---go out and milk the cows, walk everywhere we need to go, get up out of our seat to turn off the tv...and we get minimal exercize. Keep in mind, I'm only generalizing. I know that the entire population doesn't follow this.

BOTTOM LINE: Video games themlseves are NOT to blame for own obesity. We need to step up, and take responsibility for our actions.

:D

Necronopticous
10-21-2004, 01:05 AM
We're so fat

:D

Ahahaha, I love Kikimm

Giga Guess
10-21-2004, 03:12 AM
I've played countless hours of video games. I am not overweight. Heck, I'm not even normal weight for someone my height, as I'm slightly under. But I walk 4-8 miles a day, so :)

Yeah...I bike about a mile a day, not to mention do some pretty labor intensive work. So....

Lon611
10-21-2004, 03:28 AM
i play video games and still get more excercise than most ppl i know....thats EXCLUDING physical education!!!some ppl are intent on excercising because it brings joy to them, others play video games because it brings them joy...but no1 says u can't be both.its like asking if televison is the reason why ppl don't read.

TasteyPies
10-21-2004, 03:40 AM
I think its what we eat. I exercise regularly and am built like a lineman. A leaner fast like a cheeta sexy physicly fit can outrun my friends brick wall of a lineman but still a lineman.

Big D
10-21-2004, 07:31 AM
Cid Highwind and Solid Snake both smoke; Snake is a drinker and Tifa Lockheart owns a bar. Cloud Strife and Meryl Silverburgh both cross-dress sometimes. Cloud and Gray Fox were subjected to medical experiments without their consent, and the entire main cast of FFVII and Metal Gear Solid are all violent killers.

Thus, these two games are responsible for everything that is wrong in the world today:D

NB: None of this is serious. I'm kidding.

Giga Guess
10-21-2004, 01:35 PM
But you raise a very valid point. From their conception, video games have been blamed for every ill and woe society is suffering. I believe Columbine was partially blamed on video games. There were some kids cranking off shots at cars a little back, cuz "they saw it on Grand Theft Auto." It boils down to one thing. It's up to the parents/the individual to moderate and give a reality check. I mean...it's a cop out.

Wuggly Blight
10-21-2004, 10:02 PM
Yeah, Really people should snap out of using game sas scape goats for problems. They blame anyone but themselves and its stupid and imature. A game is that, a game and an object its the person who decides to eat alot and do nothing or to break into cars, games are only the new book, they dont order people to or else... its down to the person.

Chzn8r
10-22-2004, 12:45 AM
I'm pretty sure most gamers are thin.

Optium
10-22-2004, 01:25 AM
Well I play video games and I'm UNDERWEIGHT! TAKE THAT STATISTICS!

.opt

Flashback007
10-22-2004, 08:38 AM
I don't buy that. Maybe the are ALSO a reason why, but not partiaculair (or however you write it). Maybe the Kirby-games are, goes Kirby is eating everything :p . If so, it's bullhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gif. Then they maybe should think of a sporting kind of way to put your PS on. Like first walking 1 hour to have one hour of fun on your PS?

Giga Guess
10-22-2004, 01:28 PM
Stationary Bike Powered PS2!

Ragnarok
10-24-2004, 06:43 AM
No, it's their own damn fault. Unless they're fat because of a disease, or it's a genetical thing. It's that simple.

Perfect explanation.

stesia
10-25-2004, 11:31 AM
no they should stop blaming being over weight on video games no ones forcing them to sit there all day :mad2: :trout:

ZeZipster
10-25-2004, 08:48 PM
Yes. Oh, and while we're blaming something for unrelated problems I'd also like to say it's to blame for:

Drug use
Drug distribution
Murder
Rape
Bullimia
Anorexia
Communism
and all of life's problems.

Garland
10-28-2004, 02:31 AM
Bad parents and bad luck are to blame for all of society's woes. There. Someone blamed the parents. It's only right, as it's the parents who strive the hardest to shift the blame from themselves.

Breine
10-28-2004, 09:37 PM
I don't think so. The real problems are really eating the wrong food and not exercising at all/enough... Not video games. They're just there for entertainment.

commodorejohn
10-29-2004, 07:08 AM
I play a lot of videogames, get virtually no excercise, and am not overweight.