PDA

View Full Version : Overstock.com

Dingo Jellybean
10-22-2004, 02:06 AM
Has anyone ever been to this site? The popularity has exploded in just over a year.

Personally, I can see it as a better alternative to eBay. The fees for selling are lower, and when buying from directly at Overstock.com, shipping is always $2.95, no matter how big your order is. I remember buying a twin air mattress that arrived in 3 days. Of course, all their material is brand new...and as you guessed it from its name, it's a giant retailer that sells stuff at reduced prices from manufacturers that can't sell them.

They're currently hosting the auction for Barry Bond's 700th HR ball (currently over $700,000) and there's been over 30000 new auction members within the last month...most of them probably scour the site for new people to join their network, but eh.

I don't think the site will overtake eBay(not even Yahoo can), but it can aptly compete against them. I've had many problems with eBay in the past, so I can definitely see myself switching over to Overstock, especially since their fees are almost half of eBay's.

Shlup
10-22-2004, 02:15 AM
I've browsed it, but I haven't bought anything from there. I didn't even know they had auctions.

Thank you for the review; I will surely look into it more closely for my future purchases and sales.