PDA

View Full Version : The Sunken Plane (SPOILERS)

Flashback007
10-22-2004, 09:21 AM
Ok, I was playing FF7, when I suddenly came up with this thing. There is a plane sunken right. The only plane we see leaving in the game was going from Junon to Rocket Town(seen during the quest for the Huge Materia in Junon), and we known it arrived cause the Huge Materia which it was transporting had arrived there. Then secondly the nose of the plane also was facing in the direction of Rocket Town. Maybe it was the plane that went to Rocket Town but had crashed, because of an attack of an Weapon. But if so, was it Ultima Weapon?? I don't think so, cause he is hiding in that deep pool. Maybe then Emerald Weapon, that he shot it from the seaground?? Maybe. Then, did you noticed that Rude and Reno were there. Afcourse we did. Did this mean they were on the plane? If so were is the rest of the crew? Killed by the monsters maybe? And if the Turks weren't on that plane, how do they got down. More imporantly, how the hell did they get up, when they don't have a sub? Another thing I noticed was that Rude and Reno were guarding a door, but what was behind that door, I never found out? Only thing I found there was Hades-Materia. Was that what they were guarding, or was it maybe Emerald Weapon? And Emerald made the plane crash and escaped into the water? So, Emerald was captured then by Shinra. What if the Weapon that was attacking Junon was not Sapphire Weapon but Emerald Weapon? Shinra healed and remaded Emerald, but during the travell Emerald waked up and plane went down. causing it to crash in the ocean. But because Emerald had been there before (if he indeed attacked Junon) he known how to survive. What is your theory about it??

Mo-Nercy
10-22-2004, 09:39 AM
The Sunken Gelnika may or may not be the same plane that was sent to Rocket Town. Shinra probably has a whole fleet of them. I say this because you can find the sunken ship before you go to space, therefore, it chronologically doesn't work out. It was probably shot down by a Weapon, the game never tells us which one did it but I don't see how anything else could have done it. And about the nose of the plane facing the wrong way...I think you're just reading too much into it. Besides, planes tend to spin out when hit.

The Turks weren't on the plane when hit. They're investigating it. Apparently, the plane had been carrying an experimental weapon of some sort (that's what Reno says when you bump into him) and they had to find out what had happened. I don't think it plays into the story at all. The developers probably just needed a place beside the final Northern Crater area to put the really strong monsters for training purposes. You could say it's the equivalent of FF8's Islands Closest to Hell/Heaven, FF6's Dinosaur Forest, FF9's Vile Island etc.

The Weapon that Shinra killed with the Junon Cannon was definitely Sapphire. Sapphire and Emerald look very different. The former is blue-ish, has a retractable mouth-guard which he uses to shoot laser beams from, he's skinny and swims in a way that's similar to a seal. He also has a tail. The latter is green, shoots lasers from his oversized shoulders, he's very bulky and instead of swimming, tends to chug along the sea floor. He doesn't have a tail either.

Big D
10-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Only thing I found there was Hades-Materia. We're told that the plane was carrying weapons and equipment to be used in the fight against Sephiroth. It seems that Shinra was planning to invade the Northern Crater; the Gelnika was helping to carry supplies for that plan. The Hades Materia isn't the only powerful item there; you can also find Yuffie's ultimate weapon, the Conformer, and the 'Highwind' manual for Cid's ultimate limit break... amongst other things. That plane is loaded. It also had a miniature Mako reactor on board; the monsters roaming the plane are experiemental creatures, perhaps being developed for use as weapons.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-22-2004, 10:34 AM
The Sunken Guernica
the GuernicaFixed.

Big D
10-22-2004, 11:32 PM
Just because it's called "Guernica" in the Japanese script doesn't mean that the English translation is wrong. You might as well argue that the entire game is a misprint since it's not in the correct language...
Most Western FF players have only experienced the English script. It's called a Gelnika in our script, so that's what it's "really" called for us. Changes were made to specific words, for whatever reason. It happens in real life, too. Look at any script that's been translated and you'll get the same result.

In FFVIII, do you pronounce Cid and SeeD as "Sheedo"? I'd guess not, though I could be wrong... incessantly "correcting" others' use of the English names for FF objects might be a good way to demonstrate your knowledge of the Japanese scripts, but it's not especially helpful or impressive.

Shoeberto
10-23-2004, 01:02 AM
Before reading D's post I was just going to say "Oh elitist" but he said it better.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-23-2004, 02:27 AM
It's Guernica because it was intended as a reference to Picasso's painting Guernica, which was itself a reference to the massacre at Guernica, Spain, in which the city was burned and some sixteen hundred resident civilians were murdered.
incessantlyThat was the first time I'd done something like that in years.

Big D
10-23-2004, 03:04 AM
That was the first time I'd done something like that in years....If you exclude character names, monster names and all the rest, then I agree.:p Mash, Bullet, etc...

The changing of "Guernica" to "Gelnika" for the English script does not in any way reduce the effect of that name as an artistic reference; nor does it make the English term any more or less 'wrong'. The great hard-rock band Shihad got their name from the term "Jihad", which a band member first (mis)heard in the film adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune. The band is *really* called Shihad, and it's *really* a reference to Dune, in spite of the differences.http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Del Murder
10-23-2004, 06:34 PM
What's a Gelnika anyway? Is it just a name or does it mean something too?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
10-24-2004, 12:15 PM
Unlike, say, Atma, Gelnika has no meaning other than being a mistranslation.

One winged angel of death
10-29-2004, 10:58 AM
you know you can get haedes and 2x cut materia right??? okay.....i have every summon and i've mastered 7 all materia.....i'm set for the game!!!

oh yeah and you also ca own a hotel! you have to have 30,000,000 gil to do it! after you buy it it's called villa de Cloud and you can stay in it for free....but the name sux!

Edit by Kishi: Don't double-post. Also, for some reason there were "[COLOR=DarkRed]" tags beginning both of your posts that made them nigh upon unreadable. Database error, I guess, but I fixed it for you.

Rostum
10-29-2004, 11:38 AM
Well those posts were unexpected.

10-29-2004, 12:08 PM
oops....didn't mean to double post...it just slipped my mind....-_- i woke up at 3:30a.m so i kinda sleepy....

Itsunari 2000
11-13-2004, 01:08 PM
Who cares about the pronounciation? Yes , we all acknowledge the name " Gelnika" rings similar with the " Guernica" ie.the town that was obliterated by Hitler's Condor Legion in the Spanish Civil War, but does it really matter ?

Consider this , the plane that was flying from Junon to Midgard and was subsequently shot down WAS carrying Huge Materia , as well as Emerald Weapon. The plane was either shot down by nearby Ultima Weapon , which had just recently embarked upon terrorizing Gaia , or was brought down by Emerald Weapon who somehow , had reacted to the presence of Huge Materia on board.Upon crashing , Emerald Weapon escaped into the ocean - when Cloud and co. recover the crashed plane, Rude and Reno are there , deployed to investigate the incident and possibly recover Emerald Weapon if possible ... However this is questionable :the absence of a submersible vessel to accomodate the Turks would lead one to believe they WERE actually on the plane when it was shot down/brought down by either Ultima/Emerald weapon.

Either way , we just can't be clear on the circumstances of the crash.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-13-2004, 05:53 PM
The Guernica was never carrying Emerald Weapon.

11-13-2004, 08:53 PM
no it was not carrying emerald weapon....it was carrying shinra experiments

Itsunari 2000
11-15-2004, 05:35 PM
emerald weapon - a Shinra experimental weapon !

Kawaii Ryűkishi
11-15-2004, 06:21 PM
Again, no. Emerald Weapon was created by the Planet, not Shin-Ra. We even see it shooting out of the Crater with all the other Weapons after Meteor is summoned.

11-15-2004, 08:51 PM
i agree with kawaii ryukishi. *is that how it's spelt? and no emerald weapon did infact emerge out of the north crater accopmanied by ruby, crystal, and ultimate weapons...

viet-cong111
11-22-2004, 03:41 PM
hey everyone i am new to this thread so can u tell whats ur all talking about plz? :tongue:

Flashback007
11-22-2004, 06:56 PM
hey everyone i am new to this thread so can u tell whats ur all talking about plz? :tongue:

We were her talking about several theory's about the Sunken Plane in FFVII. By the way, welcome, if you want to really introduce yourself, make a topic in the Eyes on Each Other part. But I hope you enjoy it here and have fun. And please post your thoughts about the Sunken Gelnika Plane here. :D

Brian The Pink Shark
11-22-2004, 07:18 PM
he aint that new, anyways i think the shinra plane is just a sub quest and has nothing to do with the storyline what-so-ever :choc: